what some good Mini Disc Recorders?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
partyka
audio school

what some good Mini Disc Recorders?

Post by partyka » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:35 pm

I'm looking to use a MD for getting live practices down and recording some audio samples from just about anywhere. i've got the Sony ECM-MS907 mic and was wondering if anybody has had any experience with this mic and a particular MD unit. I have a MD already, the Sony MZN-505 Gold one, and it's recording level with this mic as the source is incredibly low. any info would be great, thanks

joe

TheStevens
pushin' record

Re: what some good Mini Disc Recorders?

Post by TheStevens » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:41 pm

Does that MD have a mic input or just a line input? Some of them (like mine) only have a line input. If it's a line in, you have to insert a mic preamp (or mixer, whatever you got) in between the mic and the minidisc to boost the signal.
hope that helps.

-steve

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:49 pm

I have a sharp MD-MS722. I got it almost a year ago off of eBay new for about $65, maybe $75 I can't remember. It's a little clunky, but you can set the record level. I think it works and sounds great. I bought a small sony stereo mic that cost almost as much as the recorder. It's great for setting on the coffee table when your strumin' the git-box infront of the 'ol tv. Hear something good: mute tv, hit record and save it for later.

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:21 pm

Ditto, except I bought the Sharp new and I mute am radio or npr. It's clunky but it's perfect.

comfortstarr wrote:I have a sharp MD-MS722. I got it almost a year ago off of eBay new for about $65, maybe $75 I can't remember. It's a little clunky, but you can set the record level. I think it works and sounds great. I bought a small sony stereo mic that cost almost as much as the recorder. It's great for setting on the coffee table when your strumin' the git-box infront of the 'ol tv. Hear something good: mute tv, hit record and save it for later.

Tungstengruvsten
pushin' record

Post by Tungstengruvsten » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:06 pm

I've got a pro marantz one for sale in the buy/sell/trade...
48v/xlr's digital in/out, not the 1/8" stuff...

niall
studio intern

Post by niall » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:24 pm

don't buy your MD just yet:

http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/4270

"SONY INTRODUCES HI-MD WALKMAN DIGITAL MUSIC PLAYERS"

adtrac3's done alright by me, but if you're the more discerning (or anal) type, this might merit investigation.
Yours,
Niall.

partyka
audio school

Post by partyka » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:54 pm

this looks pretty good for what i want, but what do you mean by "clunky?" And how are these for recording live musicians (i.e. drums, band practices,street musicians) when it comes to playback? are the levels pretty clear? sorry for all the questions, money's tight and i want a new toy for under $100. thanks

sonichue wrote:Ditto, except I bought the Sharp new and I mute am radio or npr. It's clunky but it's perfect.

comfortstarr wrote:I have a sharp MD-MS722. I got it almost a year ago off of eBay new for about $65, maybe $75 I can't remember. It's a little clunky, but you can set the record level. I think it works and sounds great. I bought a small sony stereo mic that cost almost as much as the recorder. It's great for setting on the coffee table when your strumin' the git-box infront of the 'ol tv. Hear something good: mute tv, hit record and save it for later.

seeabove
pushin' record

Post by seeabove » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:58 pm

Yeah... wait a month before buying any MD recorders. The new HD format is going to rock. You can record at PCM uncompressed or ATRAC compressed. Also there is digital uploading now, which is a HUGE Sony reversal. Good times.

Check out http://www.minidisc.org/ or even better yet http://www.minidisc.org/hi-md_faq.html for up-to-date info.

MD is FINALLY getting modern.

sonic documentation
gettin' sounds

Post by sonic documentation » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:09 pm

for a few years now, i have been using the sony mz-r55. i really like it. it has a line in (optical or analog 1/8" stereo), a mic in (stereo 1/8"), and a 1/8" line out as far as the i/o's are concerned. it sounds great. i highly reccomend it. but as others have said, i wouldn't buy just yet. the higher resolution MD recorders sound really awesome, and i would go check that out first.

jpschust
takin' a dinner break

Post by jpschust » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:12 pm

honestly cant believe so many using md's. atrac just sounds terrible...

jamoo
buyin' a studio

Post by jamoo » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:17 pm

The Sharp just isn't slick-looking. It's a portable MD, which make cassette walkmans look humungous, so clunky refers more to its design than its size. It's only clunky relative to other MD's which are usually slicker than snot hi-tech.

For recording live music they're excellent, especially if you as a mere audience member have done it any other way. Super clear, super discreet. Unless your band is just working on really raw ideas, I'd lay out some mics and use the MD to record through the mixer. For that, again, really good sound.

What would be better? I dunno, perhaps a device that recorded uncompressed WAV's to a Gig of RAM w/digital out for storage (hence no moving parts or discs to buy), but beyond that they're pure ace.

Per the naysayers, I've never actually heard what an ATRAC sounds like. Anything like a digeroo? Seriously (why, I don't know), I wouldn't use it to master a studio release, but anything short of that is fine.

partyka wrote:this looks pretty good for what i want, but what do you mean by "clunky?" And how are these for recording live musicians (i.e. drums, band practices,street musicians) when it comes to playback? are the levels pretty clear? sorry for all the questions, money's tight and i want a new toy for under $100. thanks

oxfist
gettin' sounds

Post by oxfist » Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:20 pm

if you're gonna wait for anything, wait for an ipod type device that will record.

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:15 pm

Whatever it is, make sure you can manually set the record level, while recording, and that it isn't a pain. I have a Sony where you can supposedly do that, but it's an incredible pain. Therefore, I have a number of recordings with "automatic" level jumps/drops, and that's a problem.

And hey, i'm really glad to hear there's a better-quality alternative around the corner, cuz i don't like the sound of the ATRAC compression either! (it's about even with cassettes tape in my book)

partyka
audio school

Re: what ARE some good Mini Disc Recorders?

Post by partyka » Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:05 pm

i just noticed i forgot the "are" in the subject header. it happens.

thanks so much for the feedback, it's been a big help. i'm going to look into all the suggestions before making a purchase. As for the HI-MD, i'm just looking for something small to lug around. under $100, and that's the key. i've no trustfund or decent dayjob. thanks again everyone, you've been very helpful.

joe