earwax candles and other witchcraft!!!

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
prince turbo lung
pushin' record

earwax candles and other witchcraft!!!

Post by prince turbo lung » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:21 pm

it seems for the past month my right ear has been clogged up. i got my hearing checked a year ago and the doc said i was good. it does not feel like a hearing loss but more like fluid. gross sorry. anyway has anbody found results when your ears need some spring cleaning. earwax candles are always soothing, but i don't think they do anything.

i hope it isn't one of those bugs from wrath of kon!!!

k
its on like donkey kong!!!!

chickenbop
gettin' sounds

Re: earwax candles and other witchcraft!!!

Post by chickenbop » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:43 pm

Hi
I've had the same problem several times.You can get this stuff called debrox from the pharmacy that is for loosening earwax and it works great unless the wax is super packed in there-i.e. you pushed the wax down more by trying to get it out with q-tips.Don't do that.If the debrox doesn't work,go to an ear,nose, and throat doctor.I just went and it cost me $60 and they had a machine suck the wax out.It's an incredible sensation when you hear all those high frequencies you've been missing for a while.

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:15 am

Ear wax candles are weird. Don't use them in the middle of mixing a record. Just some advice learned the hard way.

Those fucking bugs from Wrath of Khan scared the shit out of me as a kid. I slept with my hands over my ears for months.

Shawn

edanderson
gettin' sounds

Post by edanderson » Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:41 am

by far the best option is to go to an EN&T and have them clean you out correctly. i've heard that debrox works well, but the sound of it crackling in your ear apparently freaks some people out.

one thing i found recently is this tool called the "ototek loop" which is a small plastic tool that is designed to let you scoop the earwax out of your ear canal without pushing it further in. i've used it, and it can help you get some out, but it still isn't the same as a professional cleaning. anyway, they are cheap and you can get one at walgreens.

ed

http://www.ototekloop.com

brian beattie
steve albini likes it

Post by brian beattie » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:12 am

the murine earwax removal system. you put these oily hydrogen peroxide-like eardrops in your ear, let it foam away for 5 minutes or so (it tickles!) and then you squirt warm water in your ear with this blue rubber syringe. works for me. avaliable at yer friendly neighborhood drug store.
brian

helstab
george martin

Post by helstab » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:20 am

how about proper maintenance to prevent the build up. How old are you guys? maybe its ear hair growth coming into play.
-Matthew Macchio$tab

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:57 am

Just so you guys know... DONT USE THE EAR CANDLES! They are strongly discouraged vy audiologists and EN&T docs. I mean, your putting fire in you ear :ar15:
Also, dont use q-tips. They dont help, all they do is pack the wax further in your ear. While it looks like you got a little wax on the tip, you really shoved about that same amount further into your canal.

Go to an audiologist or a doctor and get it done right... it's the greatest feeling in the world!

wowandflutter
takin' a dinner break

Post by wowandflutter » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:54 am

this exact thing happened to me. the doctor said that the natural mechanism in the ear for removing wax is not as good in some as others, which explains why it happens to some people and not others. he also said i didnt have to go to the doctor to fix it because all they do is what you do with a home removal kit. the only advantage is the machine used to flush out the wax. the home kit supplies a cheap plastic bulb the doctor a metal canister of some sort about the size of a super soaker! you might want to go to a doctor for the first time just to see how its done. they squirt water in your ear at such a tremendous force it will suprise you. i thouht they were goin to bust my ear drums, but in the end it was great not only could i hear greater than ever but it was also very theraputic feeling. ear candles feel good but dont remove these kind of ear plugs.

F7sound
audio school

Post by F7sound » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:08 am

:twisted: Now way would I do the "candle thing". Get the Murine home kit and try it. Otherwise, have your doctor give you an ear flush. It's awesome, and you get to see all the stuff that comes out. :shock:
Michael Oster
F7 Sound and Vision
http://www.F7sound.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:57 am

dudes, the candles rule, the best part is cutting open the remaining candle and checking out all the orange gunk that it sucked out, then leaving that in the ashtray to burn whenever your roomates put out their smokes! hahaha.

really though, i've questioned on how "safe" they are. they do a good job on getting out the wax though. I was told that you shouldn't do it too often, like every 6 months or so, unless you're extra "waxy"

SpaceCad
gettin' sounds

Post by SpaceCad » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:17 am

What I have done for years is just use rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide to clean my ears regularly - two or three times a week.

Initially when my hearing started to become muffled, I used rubbing alcohol once a day for about thirty seconds. Essentially what happens is it evaporates all of the moisture in the wax. About a week later, a perfectly round ball of earwax plopped out of my ear while I was at work. It was about the size of a small gumball.

bert
gettin' sounds

Post by bert » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:22 am

SpaceCadet wrote:a perfectly round ball of earwax plopped out of my ear while I was at work.
a*w*e*s*o*m*e

F7sound
audio school

Post by F7sound » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:26 am

SpaceCadet wrote:....a perfectly round ball of earwax plopped out of my ear while I was at work. It was about the size of a small gumball.

WOW! Did you save it, or at least show it to anyone?
Michael Oster
F7 Sound and Vision

SpaceCad
gettin' sounds

Post by SpaceCad » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:48 am

I was selling a guitar to a customer at the time. I felt a little tickle in my ear and when I went to scratch it the ball rolled out. It really freaked me out, but I had to act like nothing happened so I wouldn't freak out the customer. So I held it balled up in my hand for about 20 minutes. After that it was the highlight of the day among store employees.

F7sound
audio school

Post by F7sound » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:01 am

That rules!
Michael Oster
F7 Sound and Vision