interesting ebay

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

interesting ebay

Post by soundguy » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:23 am

this might be cool for someone who needs mic pres and isnt afraid to solder. No idea about it, but looks interesting, transformer balanced, $300. Could be worth a gamble.

I just got this, what does it do?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3072074639

dave

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Re: interesting ebay

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:19 am

For $35 I'll tell you...

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:42 am

Warning: If that seller wants $300, then it's probably worth $50. He always wants way more than his stuff is worth... That's why he never seems to sell anything. His stuff just keeps getting relisted...

SpaceCad
gettin' sounds

Post by SpaceCad » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:03 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote:For $35 I'll tell you...
that's funny...you're a good sport

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:41 pm

Jeff Robinson wrote:For $35 I'll tell you...
WHOAH! Unexpected....Not the old re-turnabout!:shock:

Good sport indeed! 8)

heylow

dgochenour
pushin' record

Post by dgochenour » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:21 pm

You could look at it as 16 transforers for $18.75 each. :D
don gochenour

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:41 pm

If anybody buys it to gut for the transformers or preamp cards, I'd be interested in the rotary attenuators. I could use those for a project.

(Possibly the knobs, too).

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:33 pm

thats the way I was looking at it as a fair deal, its worth $300 in parts if you happen to need those parts. If you actually wanted to use it, Im sure you'd have to put some dough into it, but it could bee worth it if it makes a good sound.

dave

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:42 pm

hmm, yeah, but aren't the beyer input trannies supposed to suck? dorsey sez the ones on the ampex stuff (mx-35, pr-10) should be replaced immediately.

i, of course, have never heard them and am just parroting info.

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:46 pm

there are beyers all throughout the ampex decks.

chocolate, vanilla, Im happy with my machines.

Id bet beyer made several different kinds of transformers over the years, maybe some of them suck, I dont know.

dave

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:50 pm

yeah, who can tell. i've never used anything that had em and there's no numbers listed anyway.

what do you have that has the beyers? any reflections on sound?

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

soundguy

Post by soundguy » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:20 pm

my 1100 has beyers on some of the cards.

On its own, the transformer migth suck, I dont know. Im concerend with the sound out the speakers, not the trace on the scope... Chances are, these circuits were designed with that part in mind, a good designer can make perhaps the marginal sound amazing, maybe. My tape machine sounds like the most amazing thing on earth, so I could care less about anybodys opinion on the subject. The world has also concluded that tantalum caps are horrible for audio. I feel bad for all the dudes that recap their ampex's tantalums with electrolytics because of something they read online, the machines sound different and not better to my ear.

chocolate, vanilla, whatever. food fight.

Its the same thing with chips. You can get the whole world together on how 5534's suck ass, but if you are talking about a circuit that was DESIGNED around that chip in 1979 or something, when it was totally hot shit, they dont sound all that bad compared to a modern "better" replacement. Many times you go and put in a better chip that looks better on a scope and better on paper but it sounds shitty in the circuit since the parts 1979 dude stuck on the card to make the old chip sound good doesnt do anything for the new modern "better" chip so you just wind up hearing the new better chip working in a circuit that was specifically designed with some other weak link (in comparison) in mind. This logic doesnt really maybe hold true for newer IC circuits, but certainly for the audio circuits that were designed around really old and slow chips when IC's were first introduced to audio on a mass scale, I really wonder how better off people are by switching that stuff out. Like anything, listen, judge, move on.

I freaked out about two years ago ish about recapping all my old shit, which I did and then about a month later I went back and put the old caps back into about %85 of the stuff. Internet hysteria lesson learned the hard way.

My lesson about the internet: advice is worthless unless you know the background of the dude you are getting it from. Classical music guy, for instance, would be foolish to take my advice on just so much shit. Two differennt worlds. Makes you wonder with all the fighting you have to read online, how many of these debates are between two people who have even marginally similar taste and interests. I'll skip the debate between motown guy and metal guy, you know what I mean?

dave

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:52 pm

I'll pay a hundred bucks for the attenuators/pots, the knobs and the key switches. They're not worth that much in and of themselves, but I need them for a project, and buying a bunch of them at once would save me a lot of hassle with tracking down onesies and twosies.

I'm not interested in the rest. So, if any of you buy this thing for the preamps and you'd like to make some of your money back, contact me.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:45 pm

soundguy wrote:I'll skip the debate between motown guy and metal guy, you know what I mean?
fair enough, i guess i was just asking if you like them. sounds like it. :)

alex

NewYorkDave
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewYorkDave » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:20 am

One hour left and nobody has bid. Come on, people, I want those parts! :mrgreen: