used tape

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
schnozzle
buyin' gear

used tape

Post by schnozzle » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:04 am

I just got a 1/2" 8 track. Does anyone have experience using 1-pass used tape, as opposed to fresh? Is there an appreciable difference in quality? I'd appreciate any input.

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Re: used tape

Post by Kyle » Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:24 am

Record away! I've gone over tapes three or four times before. I cant hear a difference.
Kyle

schnozzle
buyin' gear

Post by schnozzle » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:00 am

I thought so! I'm going to try used and new before I really make up my mind. I saw Larry Crane mention in tape op that he'd try to convince customers to try saving money with used tape, so I figured it'd probably be all right.

Thanks,

Schnozzle

CDSager
takin' a dinner break

Post by CDSager » Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:30 pm

I bought a reel of 2" AMPEX 499 one pass used tape and it sounded fine. It provided me with all the sonic luxury of analog tape for a lot cheaper than a virgin reel. I suggest visiting www.tapetape.com

Rock and Roll

schnozzle
buyin' gear

Post by schnozzle » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:52 am

Funny you should mention tapetape, I was just talking to them over e-mail. They are local for me (fortunately), and they have really good prices. I'm going to try them out first.

Thanks!

Schnozzle

Gwerd
audio school graduate

Post by Gwerd » Sun Aug 24, 2003 4:43 pm

Hey Schnozzle,

I've recently acquired a huge stack of tape from the a local planetaruim including dozens of 1/2in tape. The planetarium went under around '95 and was in existence since the late 60s. I'm hoping to unload this tape in bulk if possible but would also send some of the newer reels separately. Most of the stock is 456 with a handful of 499. Let me know if you're interested.

thanks,

Drew G

Jesse Skeens
takin' a dinner break

Post by Jesse Skeens » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:53 am

do you happen to have any 1" reels available?

Gwerd
audio school graduate

Post by Gwerd » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:25 am

Lots of 1"! Close to 100 reels I think.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:39 am

Hey Drew,

I'd be into a couple reels o' that 1/2 456.

What are we talkin' about here? dollars wise.

thanks,
-scott

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:12 am

hey - not to bust on what Gwerd is selling here - but if you're not familiar with old tape - it is distinctly possible to get burned. for instance - i'd advise against getting any ampex labeled 456 tape. [as opposed to quantegy - when they changed thier name more recently] it's already pretty old and more prone to shedding. while often times one pass tape is fine (my experience w/tape tape has been fine) - not all one pass or old tape is gonna be fine. for example, djeasygo bought some 456 off ebay, spent all day baking it, and still had it shed like mad and ultimately wasted a bunch of time and money. so, this planetarium stuff is at best 9 yrs old. i recently had a project that i had to transfer a tape that was tracked in 92 and it was completely unuusable because of the stickiness.

just trying to make sure everyone is aware of the potential pitfalls of buying used tape. it's like ebay. it can be totally fine - but it can also be a crapshoot. for instance - do you really know it's not a gash real with splices in it of diferent formulations? i had a friend who had that happen to them. the band could only afford that tape, and then on playback - sure enough, the sound changed at the splices. it was sold as one pass, and i'm sure the seller had no idea that there were different formulations - but just beware of the possibilities....

FWIW i'm only buying new tape these days. i'd rather KNOW the history of the reel i'm working with.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:50 am

xonlocust wrote:not all one pass or old tape is gonna be fine. for example, djeasygo bought some 456 off ebay
Yeah, it looked like the same 456 I bought new in 98, but shed like a motherfucker DURING the recording. Of course, 'the' take of 'the' song is on that reel, so it required a half day of baking and a bit of digital editing to take care of a very nasty dropout. The good news is the tape still sounded great after the baking (song in question is the opening track on the band's album).

I won't knock the particular seller's offering, but I won't be putting any Ampex up on my machine, either. If you can check the 456 out in person, check each reel for sticky gooey liquidy stuff on the tape.

I do still buy used SM911 over Ebay, and have had good fortune with that. And I LOVE hearing the original recordings on the reels!

Gwerd
audio school graduate

Post by Gwerd » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:25 am

What Xonlocust and DJeasygo can certainly be true. With that in mind I can check the tape prior to shipping (suggestions on technique to do this?- playing the reel head to tail would be a good way to start, after a visual inspection that is). The tapes are basically just taking up space and I would be happy to rid of them rather than throwing out.No reasonable offers refused.

Drew

blappo
ass engineer

Post by blappo » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:47 am

I would absolutely recommend against buying used 456 from tapetape. I boought 6 rolls in varying states of decay. Two rolls even had splices in them. Granted, I have yet to bake these. What tape with similar bias characteristics to 456 tends to last longest?

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:05 am

blappo wrote:What tape with similar bias characteristics to 456 tends to last longest?
Don't know about the longest, but my experience with SM911 has been good (thank you Spiral!). I've had used reels of the the BASF and BASF/Emtec varieties with much success.

That said, there's nothing like 456 for that chilling 'shit in your pants' rawk sound.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:42 am

Gwerd wrote:playing the reel head to tail would be a good way to start, after a visual inspection that is).
yeah, that sounds like a good idea. and i don't mean to try and scare off anyone, Gwerd - you sound like a pretty stand up guy. i was also thinking about adding, despite all my above comments, i think having a handfull of old reels lying around would be pretty handy for when you're just fucking around. if someone's paying you to record them, i;d be alot more wary. but for instance i've used used reels for practice tape and stuff, and that's been fine.

Gwerd, perhaps you can start the east coast version of tapetape! i think physically inspecting them, and putting them up on your own machine is about the only thing you can do to weed out the bad ones.