Microphone storage

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
cwileyriser
pushin' record

Microphone storage

Post by cwileyriser » Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:48 pm

I know I don't use all the mics at my disposal partly because they're stored in their cases in a file cabinet. Does anyone have any better ideas to make them more accessible while still protecting them?

I was thinking of cutting a piece of 8" thick mattress foam to fit a shelf, glue it on, and then cut slits or holes as needed to slip the mics into. I could throw a towel or cloth over them when I'm not in the studio for dust control. Anyone else do something similar?

Meriphew
deaf.

Re: Microphone storage

Post by Meriphew » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:12 pm

All of my mics stay on their stands in the vocal booth if they're not being used. I have a dehumidifier/desicant (big box of silica) in the booth to keep moisture from the mics. When the mics aren't in use I put a bag over the top to keep dust off.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:19 pm

Something else you could try - tape a silica packet inside the bag you use to cover your mic.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:07 pm

I saw a great idea at electrical audio: use architect file cabinets, with egg foam in each shelf. The cabinets have shallow (but deep enough) drawers, and they have way more than normal file cabinets. I would like to find one of these. plenty of space for your 9 lomo's and 6 altec coke bottles in there....

cwileyriser
pushin' record

Post by cwileyriser » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:56 pm

I guess a tool cabinet (tabletop or rollaway) would do the same job (especially considering most of us don't have the gazillion mics that Electrical has)?

Sears has a 33" high by 33" inch wide by 21" deep rolling project center with 5 drawers and a worksurface on top, which would probably be a great place for soldering, etc. It's $99.95 on sale at sears.com (Sears Item #00959493000). I'm gonna get one and give it a try.

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:40 am

PELICAN CASES.

A large pelicase with the pluck foam? individual?

neat and organized.

then you can take your mics white water rafting, i have, it was camera equipment though..not mics..the raft flipped on a class4 and they wer fine!!

i swear my equipment has not aged a day since i pelicased it.

they are kind of expensive though.

check em out.

Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

Post by Russian Recording » Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:47 am

There is this surplus wharehouse at the university i work at... all the departments donate their "junk", and anyone can come in and place sealed bids on the stuff, and some stuff is just sold straight up (i got an ampex 440 1/4" tape machin for 90 bucks.... and it works).
Anyway, the library donated their card-catalogues... they were only $100! Of course I procrastonated (sp?) and now theyre all out forever (they go for 400-1000 on Ebay). But they would be perfect for a mic collection. Perfectly sized drawers, made of oak with nice brass handles and a a little brass frame to put mic descriptions and model numbers on. If you can find one, I think theyre perfect.

Yeah, I ve though about getting drawers like the ones in the B live room at Electrical, but their too damn big and it would be 3 years before I filled one of them! :x

erroneous
pluggin' in mics

Post by erroneous » Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:44 pm

my girlfriend just found an sm57 under some pillows, on the couch. i was thinking of moving the rest there, but i'm afraid the cats would play with them.
..i've found something no one else is looking for..