Video Production on Pro Tools?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
swedishstudios
alignin' 24-trk

Video Production on Pro Tools?

Post by swedishstudios » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:41 am

Some of my friends and I want to start shooting little movies. We have a digital camera capable of dumping the video into the computer, but what I was wondering is "can you sync the music/sound clips with our shots using Pro Tools?" If not, what other (cheap) programs are there to do that sort of thing?

thanks,
:shock:
swedish

p.s. I have a Digi 001, pro tools 5.3.
late night recording sessions sound the best.

ctmsound
george martin

Re: Video Production on Pro Tools?

Post by ctmsound » Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:14 pm

You can import 1 video track into pro tools, right into the edit window, which makes it seemless to edit and place audio perfectly in sync with your video.

housepig
buyin' gear

Post by housepig » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:04 pm

you should check out www.dvdrhelp.com - they have a Tools section with a ton of links and information.

for non-linear editing:

freeware: Zwei-Stein. Free, multiple tracks, but a funky / confusing interface.

AIST MovieXone - the current version is "plus" and it's not free, but it used to be freeware, and some servers still have the freeware version. Google it.

ABC VideoRoll - another freeware, company is out of business, but there are still viable downloads floating around the net.

Avid has a free version of Avid Express, but it seems very limited on what it will import and export.

cheapware : if you look around at your local computer store, you should be able to find an older version of Ulead Video Studio or Magix Audio/Video for cheap - I found new-in-the-box copies of both for around $10 each.

Up from there, Vegas is a really good audio / video app, and the stripped version is called Sony Screenblast (less than $100).

hope this helps.
- housepig

Housepig Records
free mp3's

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:30 pm

If you have another way to edit the actual video, ProTools is perfect for audio post. (i.e. "sync the music/sound clips with our shots")

swedishstudios
alignin' 24-trk

Post by swedishstudios » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:39 pm

alright, awesome thanks alot.

swedish :shock:
late night recording sessions sound the best.

CabreeToe
alignin' 24-trk

Post by CabreeToe » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:34 pm

Pro Tools works wonders for audio post. However, I myself have had nightmares getting the video window the right size. For the most part your going to have to play with the resolution/compression and size. It seems different for every computer. Probably has something to do with RAM.

For me the medium resolution in quicktime and a size of around 320/240 has done fairly well. It likes CBR most of the time it don't like VBR.