(1-7/8 ips) and (3-3/4 ips) VS. (15 ips and 30 ips)

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Re: (1-7/8 ips) and (3-3/4 ips) VS. (15 ips and 30 ips)

Post by Derrick » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:48 am

Jeff Robinson wrote:Your Marantz unit is likely using Dolby noise reduction or dbx, in which case you are barely hearing the tape and/or speed quality but rather are hearing the noise reduction circuitry clearly.
Ya know, I don't like to use the noise reduction (it's switchable no this unit). This Marantz is equipped with Dolby DBX (HX Pro? whatever that is). I like the more natural, open, real sounds with it off, and with this unit, I can do that because noise just isn't an issue.
Image Image

Derrick

We have a pool... and a pond. Pond's good for you though.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:46 am

Dolby is not the same as dbx for noise reduction. I think you have Dolby- looks like that's what Marantz used, based on looking at their website. HX Pro is Dolby as well, but HX Pro has more to do with being able to record to cassette with more headroom (maybe it's a limiter of some sort?), and doesn't need decoding like the Dolby noise reduction stuff.

This is all academic if you're going without NR. I personally believe that Dolby S/SR is the only NR worth using for tape, if you need it at all.

Snarky
takin' a dinner break

Post by Snarky » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:32 am

What about 7.5 ips? On my tascam 388? Ha Ha. Poop on Dolby. Ha Ha.
I'm a pirate! Ha Ha! Arrrrrr......... shiver me timbers

dayvel
gettin' sounds

Post by dayvel » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:34 am

HX Pro backs off the bias level as high frequency content increases. This lets you get more HF on the tape.

Mason
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Mason » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:50 am

On a 4-track, why not go with the higher speed? Whatever you give up in bass, something I don't really think is a huge factor on cassette, you'll more than make up for in top-end clarity and bounceability.

I got a bass drum sound on my 424 - at hight speed - last weekend that, when I took it home and played it back, brought the Seattle Police Department to my door. I was ecstatic. They specifically said that the bass was too much. I would say it was 'just right,' but everyone's entitled to an opionion. I think it sounds like a concert bass drum.

I'm just glad I could bum out my lame neighbors enough to make them call the cops. They made my night.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:59 am

kayagum wrote:Dolby is not the same as dbx for noise reduction. I think you have Dolby- looks like that's what Marantz used, based on looking at their website. HX Pro is Dolby as well, but HX Pro has more to do with being able to record to cassette with more headroom (maybe it's a limiter of some sort?), and doesn't need decoding like the Dolby noise reduction stuff.

This is all academic if you're going without NR. I personally believe that Dolby S/SR is the only NR worth using for tape, if you need it at all.

It's weird... it says in one place that it's got HX Pro, but it says here it's DBX. This is from the manual...
"24 - dbx NR
This is the On/Off switch for the dbx noise reduction system. dbx is an Encode/Decode system of noise reduction. This means that the system does half of its work when recording the tape (encoding), and half of its work while playing the encoded tape back (decoding). Therefore, it is very important that tapes recorded with dbx on, be played back with dbx on. Also, tapes recorded with dbx off should be played back with dbx off."
Image Image

Derrick

dayvel
gettin' sounds

Post by dayvel » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:11 pm

The HX Pro has nothing to do with the noise reduction.

Derrick
re-cappin' neve

Post by Derrick » Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:22 pm

dayvel wrote:The HX Pro has nothing to do with the noise reduction.
So does that mean it's probably always on? The DBX is switchable.
Image Image

Derrick

dayvel
gettin' sounds

Post by dayvel » Thu Jan 29, 2004 6:16 pm

Yep, there's no reason to turn it off.