What Did You Work On Today? 1-27-04

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
cgarges
zen recordist

What Did You Work On Today? 1-27-04

Post by cgarges » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:38 pm

It's been icy here and a bunch of work has bagged, but I'm back in tonight. What do you folks have going on today/tonight?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

dungeonsound615
suffering 'studio suck'

Re: What Did You Work On Today? 1-27-04

Post by dungeonsound615 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:44 pm

Nothing in the last couple days kinda sucks i have half finished projects one person im working with is in Isreal right now for a week. The other been playing phone tag with and im half done with them also. I should start my crazy concrete sounds idea but i havent yet Damn procrastinating more and more

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:45 pm

A frank miller animated NASCAR ad that we scored, and recorded, and some "book of knots" stuff for the new record.

Recording Carla Kihlstedt from Tin hat trio, and various tom waits records playing violin, with myself and piano, and tony on bass.

aurelialuz
dead but not forgotten

Post by aurelialuz » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:00 pm

man, you always ask like a day after i do a bunch of work so i'm stuck here saying...uh...laundry.

but we did a two man drum recording last night that came out great. finally, that track is finished, after five attempts. woulda been four, but i need to start splicing leader in between songs...

alex
"While every effort has been made to ensure optimum sound quality, priority has been given to historic content and importance."

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:12 pm

going on hour 5 with the digikey catalog open. I really think the secret to time travel is the digikey catalog. Not really the parts to build a time machine, but like, HOURS of my life get sucked away every time I open that fucking thing, if I could figure out that principle, and reverse it, that would be time travel. Im convinced.

dave

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:22 pm

Well, let's see...
Last night was another frightful episode of live sound reinforcement. I've been assembling a new system for the university and we had it out for its first show last night, with two vocal jazz ensembles and eight big bands performing for about 10-15 minutes each (8 visiting high schools & two university groups). Aside from a really dumb goof on my part that had a whole bunch of bitchy vocal jazz singers whining about monitors for five minutes in front of the audience, everything went as well as it could. Yet another reminder of why I hate doing live sound
And to top it off, when I went out to my car, someone had slid on the icy roads and planted the left rear of my pickup, bending the bumper in enough to punch a hole in the rear fender.

I know that was yesterday, but it leads into today's adventure of calling insurance companies and trying to set up repairs. Who knows, maybe I'll get some recording work in too.

-Jeremy

penrithmatt
steve albini likes it

Post by penrithmatt » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:45 pm

penultimate day of tracking new Tim McGraw record.There's a whole crew from Nashville here so i spent most of today sitting on the sofa at the back of the control room,kinda hanging out.
i did put a few unused mics back in the locker and bundle a few cables.dinner time in two hours and then another late night of half-arsed guitar overdubs and heavy drinking.
cheers
matthew
www.allairestudios.com
If it's not distorted,what's the point??

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:55 pm

sleeping and resting from the crazy weekend of tracking..

being in a band now made me realize that the engineer has it good compared to the performers..48 hours of tracking in 3 days sucks..most of all the 8 hr cramped car ride in a snowstorm at 3:30 in the morning after a 16 hr tracking session on the way back..

two records in 3 days though..thats good..i think?

cornsound
pushin' record

Post by cornsound » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:56 pm

penrithmatt wrote:penultimate day of tracking new Tim McGraw record.There's a whole crew from Nashville here so i spent most of today sitting on the sofa at the back of the control room,kinda hanging out.
i did put a few unused mics back in the locker and bundle a few cables.dinner time in two hours and then another late night of half-arsed guitar overdubs and heavy drinking.
cheers
matthew
www.allairestudios.com

hmm :lol: what, he doesn't record here no more? dag-nabbit! ah well, one less douchebag in my town. :twisted: damn, that studio is f'in nice though...

so I'll actually *contribute* to this thread:
today I sound designed yet another :30 second news promo for a TV station in LA. then I re-edited a bunch of music we recorded for the Dennis Miller show on CNBC....seems that they didn't like the amount of compression we had used on the first version, let the remix-ing by committee commence.... :roll:

not to mention the 100 or so emails I have to deal with on a daily basis :evil: christ! leave me alone and let me engineer!
Last edited by cornsound on Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:56 pm

Electric guitar parts for 3 or 4 of my "100 songs" project. Two parts for each of the songs, panned hard left and right. I was playing direct into a SansAmp PSA-1, using Marshall and Mesa/Boogie presets that I tweaked into something good, with the TC M300 spring reverb. The backing "band" for all of them was a Yamaha QY22 sequencer. The longest of the songs was about 30 seconds.

Also I just rearranged my tiny studio (I seem to do this often). I installed some acoustical foam behind the drum kit, which I'm afraid had to go in a corner--so it was deadsville, treatment-wise. I also continued to obsess over which synthesizer I want to spend my $250 on. I think I might just get a Korg 707 and spend the leftovers on the mortgage.

spideyjack
takin' a dinner break

Post by spideyjack » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:13 pm

Band practice is cancelled cause of the weather.

So I'm gonna listen to the mixes I made last thurday and drink the bands beer. Hic..Hic.. hic..

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Tue Jan 27, 2004 3:18 pm

I'm another DigiKey catalog victim... I do like DIY, but when it comes to sitting down with the catalog and ordering EVERY FREAKING PART... well, it's tough.

Had to shovel about 5-6 inches of snow out of my driveway, too. Got some nice snow here in Michigan, probably more than normal at this point.

fireproof
pushin' record

Post by fireproof » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:15 pm

I just finished a Db's tune "If and when" for the Db's comp with
Spike Priggen.
Brian Doherty(they might be giants,freedy johnston) on drums.
John Graboff (laura cantrell,amy rigby) on gtrs
recorded and mixed in 6 hours
gotta love that
nice snow storm here in brooklyn

Adam

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:23 pm

Slept in after monster Montreal trip over weekend. New paper big hit with audience. Monday's my big teaching day (don't finish till 8:30) so this was the first chance I got to relax.

Worked on grant application some more. Also worked on paper about computer trash.

Wrote letters of recommendation.

Caught up on email queries from students and colleagues. Go away for 4 days and the inbox swells like a bloated elephant waiting for the rendering truck.

Did course prep for next couple weeks, updated course websites.

Verified that spouse's old computer did in fact die yesterday. Yep. It's dead. Ordered her sexy new imac + memory + HD. She'll be thrilled, but it puts a couple of toy purchases back for me. That's a relationship for you.

Sent out email invite to friends for super bowl party.

Shoveled. Picked up spouse from work. Cooked dinner. More class prep and misc catching up with work stuff so I can teach and meet with people tomorrow, write and read over the weekend. Now I'm chilling here.

Will watch 24 when spouse gets home from karate.

--JES

psychicoctopus
buyin' a studio

Post by psychicoctopus » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:42 pm

Spent a couple of hours interning at an Albert Cummings session produced by Jim Gaines -- made coffee first, then picked up an amp from the repair shop, ran guitar cables through the wall, bummed cigarettes, listened to righteous guitar tones.

Then I went to the TV station and rewired a distribution amplifier and made an intercom out of a cheezy Realistic home stereo.

Now it's time for some yummy pizza, then off to work on a compilation CD for KVRX radio. An evening at home would be nice right now...