recording/producing drums like it was 85'-help me brainstorm

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
nagnagnag
audio school

recording/producing drums like it was 85'-help me brainstorm

Post by nagnagnag » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:11 am

Hey there, I'm trying to get an 80's metal drum sound for a throw-back project I'm working on. For reference, I'm thinking of the drum sounds off of 'kill em' all' and 'ride the lightning'. On these albums, the bass drum still has some boom to it rather than that annoying 'clickclickclick' bass drum sound that plagued metal recordings in the late 80's and 90's. On the recordings I'm going for, the cymbals are thrashy, the snare is dampened and nearly has the presence and thud of a bass drum, the toms are dampened but decay is created by adding some rather cheesy reverb. It sounds like overheads are in the mix way more on the early stuff than on 'and just for all..' where the drums are so isolated and snappy it practally sounds like matching band drums are being used..hehe. I have a good start but the demo results I've gotten aren't quite what I'm going for. Any ideas for mics selection and mic placement? Anyone knowledgable on the details of how they use to record these albums? I'd love to hear your feedback.

bigtoe
deaf.

Re: recording/producing drums like it was 85'-help me brains

Post by bigtoe » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:56 am

a classic trick by the big metal guy in town here is to tape a quarter to the beater and a quarter to the kick head to get that click...

Mike

George Martin Hannett
audio school

Post by George Martin Hannett » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:06 am

A lot of it has to do with the drums themselves. For sure you need a blanket in the bass drum(s), foam mufflers under the toms or dampening rings that can be set on top of the heads. Get a ring for the snare too or get one of those heads with the big dot in the middle. You want to avoid the click right? Use the blanket, use plastic beaters to get a bit of a snap, but pull the mic back a bit. 8" should do, and angle it toward where the head meets the shell instead of towards the beater. You'll pick up some more lo-end this way.

chemicalpink
takin' a dinner break

Post by chemicalpink » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:51 pm

gated reverb!!!!!!!!!!!!

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:58 pm

right, the drums themselves are a huge part of it. Think power toms...think Tama Superstar birch shell drums. Ebony heads, double layer heads like remo pinstripes. And for the snare sounds...thick wooden shells. I'd not even consider a drum less than 6.5" and think that and 8" would be ideal. Deaden the drums a bit more than you're probably doing these days. Another key for that 80s metal sound is old 80s reverbs. BIG! BIG! BIG!
A lot of the cymbals used back then were stuff like Paiste Rudes or other thick, non-lathed types. I think the Zildjian Power Z stuff was just coming out....maybe a good choice.
later,
m

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:35 pm

Two things. Run a PA in the room with the drumkit pumping through it from the console mix. Every major hard rock act did this. Biggest success to my ear was that first Bullet Boys disc. Yeow.

Another thing, rely on gated reverbs and gated room mic tracks heavily.

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:08 pm

make sure the drummer is wearing a head band

:?:

Roman Sokal
buyin' gear

Post by Roman Sokal » Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:54 pm

try sampling some elements from said albums if there are clear enough bits that you can clean up more if need be through another app!
p.s. ...justice for all album- which i believe was mixed by the band- sounds like a rough/monitor mix for the most part to me!
and of course we'll never forgive them for being elitest mean pricks and turning down the bass guitar tracks!

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:12 pm

I feel bad for metallica. ever since their bass god died, they just cant catch a break. Justice sounds like a monitor mix, so it sucks. Black sounds like all glossy and "major label" so it sucks. Load sounds like a pop record, so it sucks. They listen to all this criticism and decide to strike back and take peoples faces off with pocket calculator record and its the worst thing anyone has ever heard.

but they are millionaires. And james caught on fire. and they hang out with a guy whose last name is "rock".

the balls.

dave

hardLeft
audio school graduate

Post by hardLeft » Sat Jan 31, 2004 9:17 pm

I seem to recall back in the day that you couldn't get away from the Remo Pinstripes with Dead Ringers on them for the toms. I don't know if either of those products are still made today.
If they get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers.
- Pynchon

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:01 am

"make sure the drummer is wearing a head band"
Hah! :D

I like Load and Re-Load, so maybe I'm not to be listened to, but Rock is the Mutt of the modern day... Justice sucks, for sounds (great songs, tho'.)

But the I like the last one, too, snare be damned.

"Deaden the drums a bit more than you're probably doing these days", and that "gated reverb" sounds right...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

marqueemoon
carpal tunnel

Post by marqueemoon » Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:54 pm

chetatkinsdiet wrote:right, the drums themselves are a huge part of it. Think power toms...think Tama Superstar birch shell drums. Ebony heads, double layer heads like remo pinstripes. And for the snare sounds...thick wooden shells. I'd not even consider a drum less than 6.5" and think that and 8" would be ideal. Deaden the drums a bit more than you're probably doing these days. Another key for that 80s metal sound is old 80s reverbs. BIG! BIG! BIG!
A lot of the cymbals used back then were stuff like Paiste Rudes or other thick, non-lathed types. I think the Zildjian Power Z stuff was just coming out....maybe a good choice.
later,
m
A friend has a Zildjian "Earth Ride" is the shit for this kind of sound. It's that big, brassy bell sound with hardly any wash. Fairly quick but hefty sounding crashes would be good.
I the prostitute, shall not hide...
But I was very much bothered with my work!

nagnagnag
audio school

Post by nagnagnag » Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:56 pm

....thanks for all the replies everyone. All the metallica comments are entertaining. I'd have to cut those sobs' glory days off at 'and justice'. That last single they did had one of the worst snare sounds i've heard in my life. ringy, annoying, and WAY TOO LOUD in the mix! I'm getting better results since i started using the Rode NTK tube condenser as a room mic in addition to mic'ing individual drums. The down side is the cymbals are a bit too loud...it's hard to get them down in the mix. And the headbands, we already have that one covered! matching sets...

Everybody's X
re-cappin' neve

Post by Everybody's X » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:43 pm

80's? it's all about the gong dude!

seriously

I bet you could track down Flemming Rassmussen and ask him what he did, he doesn't seem to be doing much nowadays.

tiger vomitt
dead but not forgotten

Post by tiger vomitt » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:00 pm

FUCK DAT

justice was my absolute favorite album when i was 15. i loved the sound AND the songs. i still love both. i hated all metallica after it

anyway, that sound is prolly not what yer looking for in the 80's metal drums sound anyway. i just had to speak my peace

dont forget to play the drums with chewed up sticks. a double bass pedal (NOT 2 bass drums IMO) will get you the sound. or, at least the sound i remember - no one had 2 fucking bass drums in their basment ;)