Demeter real reverb

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Al
moves faders with mind

Demeter real reverb

Post by Al » Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:38 am

Has anybody got or used a Demeter real reverb?. Are they any good and worth the money?..i dont really go in for a lot of these digital reverbs,some of them sound suitably nasty!!!.

One of the best reverbs i ever had the pleasure of using is in a studio i occasionally work from, an A.K.G. plate reverb,but these things are the size of a small cupboard,and far to big for my own small studio,little own getting the chance to find one to purchase anyway!.

Any thoughts on the Demeter or other similar units,would be much appreciated,thanks!.

Fletcher
steve albini likes it

Re: Demeter real reverb

Post by Fletcher » Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:44 am

I've used it on many an occassion... it's awesome!! One of my favorite little tricks with it is to put a compressor on the send to it which makes it a bit more useful for things like drums.

As always... YMMV

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:24 am

Thanks Fletcher,i had a look at it on their website,and it certainly does look like it means business!!

A bit on the pricey side for me,and i know you only get what you pay for!,anyone know of anything else of a similar styley??

uqbar
steve albini likes it

Post by uqbar » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:40 am

I have one and love it. Often wins out over my much more pricey KSP8...

m

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Fri Jun 06, 2003 8:47 am

Mmmm! i'll bet there good!,might just have to save the cash and invest!

Cause these budget digital verb's are indeed the work of lucifer himself!!.

Thanks for the input guys!!..

uqbar
steve albini likes it

Post by uqbar » Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:48 am

Al wrote:Cause these budget digital verb's are indeed the work of lucifer himself!!.
Of course sometimes, rock and roll need's a little bit of the dark lord's touch :twisted:

mark

jonc
audio school graduate

Post by jonc » Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:57 pm

i especially like how the two channels can be used either indendently or ganged together. a really nice unit and very useful to have in your rack. and yes, a bit pricey. and i hardly ever see them used, but i guess that's because most folks hold onto them.

jon

mr scratchy esq
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mr scratchy esq » Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:08 pm

I have one too and love it on vocals. I purchased it because (like you) I currently don't have room for an EMT plate and I don't want anything digital. So for now spring reverb, tape echo and the bathroom echo chamber are my 3 options. From all the accounts I've read, the Demeter unit is the best spring reverb out there.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:44 am

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:16 am

Cheers guys,it's nice to hear some feedback from people who have used them.
As the late great Joe Meek said,"gear should be judged by your ears and not on technical spec!"...never a more true word spoken!.

I have a very cheap zoom studio 1202,but i kept hold of it because i do like some of the sounds in it,the room and plate sounds are quite grainy,dark and analogue like,of course some of the other sounds in it are nonsense,not bad for 100 quid new though.

I'll check out these Demeter reviews,thanks again for all your comments!

Al

bigtoe
deaf.

Post by bigtoe » Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:42 am

i have one of the Real Reverbs too...they are awesome...i dig the long channel the most...like as a "main reverb" for vocals and stuff...very 1973..well worth the $ for me...it cost almost as much as my board but i want another.

on the cheap- stuff like the Master Room and other lower cost springs can be really cool too...noisier and not as smooth on the reverb...but really cool...i remember folks praising the furman spring reverbs around here...i think you can find those for around 100 clams...

See ya-Mike

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:52 am

I've been feasting my eyes over the Demeter website and drooling over the gear,some nice looking pre amps etc. As well!!...all looks like pretty good stuff!.

Anybody seen any Furman stuff selling on ebay??

Cheers
Al

pscottm
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by pscottm » Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:05 am

yeah the furman rv1 is great, though noisy. it has a real lee perry character when you slam the built-in input limiter. 'klanggggg....'. and the verb eq (parametric!) is very useful (mostly to subtract the mud and noise). it's a great unit that's full of flavor.

got mine from a friend who found his brother's old one in his parents attic. seen them on ebay for cheap (less than $100) though haven't looked lately.

Al
moves faders with mind

Post by Al » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:24 pm

Sounds cool,i'll hunt around.

Ta!
Al

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:39 pm