ADK TUBE MICS

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
fireproof
pushin' record

ADK TUBE MICS

Post by fireproof » Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:56 pm

Has Anyone used the ADK A51-TC
http://www.adkmic.com/specs/TC.html

or the Area 51 TT
http://www.adkmic.com/specs/Area51TT.html

thinking about getting one would love to hear your experience with them

Thanks, Adam

tsw
steve albini likes it

Re: ADK TUBE MICS

Post by tsw » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:18 pm

There's a glowing review of the TC in the most recent TapeOp. As someone who's used that mic for about three years, I'd say it's definitely a worthwhile mic to own. Over the years, I've gotten some amazing acoustic guitar and vocal sounds with it. Come to think of it, I also had good results using it on a guitar amp (strat through Fender amp). I own two other ADK mics (small dia. condenser and the inexpensive non-tube LDC) and have found plenty of uses for those as well. I've occasionally found the TC to be too bright; it can get too essy on vocals if you're not careful. But I've had the chance to compare it to other inexpensive LDCs (like the Studio Projects C1) and can tell you that if compares very favorably. Not that there's anything wrong with the C1, but if you're looking for less modern, more vintage sound (basically a tube sound), you can't go wrong with the TC.

Mail me if you have more specific questions. I've got quite a bit of experience with this mic.

One more thing: if this kind of thing means anything to you, Larry, the guy who runs ADK, is a saint. He will answer any questions you may have and then some. Don't hesitate to write to him.

Andy

fireproof
pushin' record

Post by fireproof » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:22 pm

Andy
Thanks I have a C1 and find it can be essy and sometimes a bit brittle.
have a 414 too that I use lots as well.
Hoping one of the ADK tube mic's will be a nice different sounding Mic and something I can go to when tracking vocals to digital.

Adam

Dot
pushin' record

Post by Dot » Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:45 pm

The TC is an excellent mic. It's not as bright as the 414 and not as colored as the C1. Much smoother and airy sounding. Definitely one of the top mid-range tube mics on the market.
Dan Richards
Pro Studio Reviews

fireproof
pushin' record

Post by fireproof » Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:12 am

Dan
Thanks, Thats what I was hoping It would be like...

Adam

exit2studios
takin' a dinner break

Post by exit2studios » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:41 pm

Bump.

How does this mic compare to the CAD M-9 tube?

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:38 am

I can't speak to the CAD thing, but the ADK TC solved problems for me. I love it on my voice; also a good drum mic -- I've used it as the only drum mic in a small room. The TC makes things chubbier. I've noticed the sensitivity to esses that was mentioned above, but it hasn't been a big deal -- if you had a real hissy singer it might be a problem.

Other TC facts:

Mine seems kind of sensitive to wind noise, even with a pop screen in front of it. Rarely an issue.

One of the connections had been soldered to the tube on my mic--kind of strange.

Unless things have changed, ADK's repair facility seems to consist of one friendly tech in Seattle. He did a good job on my used TC. He put in a different tube they've found to be better for this mic -- Electro Harmonix, I think.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:38 pm

Something else I just tripped on:

ADK has changed the TC (and TT) designs, without renaming the mics. So they don't all sound the same -- who knows if we're talking about the same mic?

Details:

http://www.adkmic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=83

I wish they wouldn't do this.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra