Schumann Pedals

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
the velour fog
buyin' a studio

Re: Schumann Pedals

Post by the velour fog » Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:16 am

oh god, it's all so beautiful... :worthy: :^:

do you know how much it is to mod a memory man? I wish I had like $2000 sitting around...I'd get everything.
"Set Phasers to Extra Slow."

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:48 am

The band John was in was called "poka poka" and I was the drummer for about a year. Johns pedal board was completely nuts, really cool, musical, and somehow... reliable!(sort of..)

He always managed to make MUSIC with all these efx, not just zany sounds and feedback, (but he could do that , too).

He needs to make a living from this stuff, which is why I started this thread in the first place.

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:36 am

They are probably the best looking pedals I've ever seen.

If they were mass marketed, I hope they don't change the look.

Whoever was the original poster needs to do a complete review in TapeOp of each one, including pix.

But if we all order them, we won't get them 'til 2010, since it seems like he's building them himself.

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:20 am

More info, please.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Wed Jun 11, 2003 11:33 am

Duc wrote:Arpegiator! DUDE!
Is there an arpeggiator pedal for guitars? That would be the raddest thing in the universe. I'm sure someone has tinkered with the idea.

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:58 pm

I just called the guy/inventor dude and he said that the PLL plays a note somewhere above the note you played and a note below, so that you can play strange chords using one note... and it does other strange stuff as well, but he was relunctant to explain because for lack of referencial explanation. It's just a weird pedal.

That is the only pedal he is offering now. I think I may have to order one.

$500.00

Anyway... that's the info I got. If someone can post some mp3s, that would be awesome.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:01 pm

AstroDan wrote:
Duc wrote:Arpegiator! DUDE!
Is there an arpeggiator pedal for guitars? That would be the raddest thing in the universe. I'm sure someone has tinkered with the idea.
A ZVex Ooh Wah will get you pretty close.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:04 pm

Man, if they'd make even a simple arpeggiator design, like the kind the 80's Korgs and Rolands had, that would be a super innovative and fun pedal. And as long as the arpeggiator feature has been around (at least on synths), I'm surprised there isn't a stand alone device.

A.L.
buyin' a studio

Post by A.L. » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:07 pm

AstroDan wrote:Man, if they'd make even a simple arpeggiator design, like the kind the 80's Korgs and Rolands had, that would be a super innovative and fun pedal. And as long as the arpeggiator feature has been around (at least on synths), I'm surprised there isn't a stand alone device.
Actually, check out the AdrenaLinn http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/
Kind of a goofy name, but seems like a cool device. Never used one myself.
Check out the demo video clips...

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:01 am

I think pscottm should do a review. He is much more eloquent than I am, and a better writer, by far. I think He would do these pedals justice in writing.

John makes pedals that I, for one, have no idea how to describe the sounds you can get from them.

These pedals are all made for making music, not just gizmo sounds. They will however make some really neat sounds when used on things like drums.

John works really hard on these things EVERY SINGLE DAY, so if you order it, you will get it within a reasonable amount of time.

You could also simply talk to him, and come up with an interesting mod or something, that would make it YOURS, and one of a kind.

Tell 'em Joel sent you.

soundguy
ghost haunting audio students

Post by soundguy » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:00 pm

what is this dude's contact info?

now Im curious.

dave

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:09 pm

http://www.maindragmusic.com/

the phone number is on the site as well.

Ask for John Schumann.

DUC
buyin' a studio

Post by DUC » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:38 am

I just talked to John Schumann over the tele. I'm in Houston, by the way. He gave me a run down on the details of the pedal.

It generates chords with one note. A multiplyer for a high note and a divider for a low note. You can set the speed to which it locks the phase.

The vibrato function is when the pedal doesn't lock on to anything and just warbles vibrato at 3 different speeds.

The drone function is a continuous sound generator that you can set to a specific pitch.

The moment pedal is sort of like a by-pass.

The arpegiator is just a plug for now, but he said that in a month or so he's making a little sequencer that uses dip switches that will actually make the instrument perform arpeggios. So, for now, it's just a spot on the board. I wonder if it'll sound like a Roland Juno-60.

When you plug in drum machines, he said that it creates its own fucked up bass lines.

He took 2 years to make this thing work on guitar. It works really well on synths.

It's totally analog, with true bypass.

And I ordered one. Yippie!

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:45 pm

Joel Hamilton wrote:I hope everyone has heard of John's line of pedals!

If you listen to the bass on the new radiohead, That is johns pedal.
Hey Joel,

Which songs/parts do you have in mind? There are lots of monster sounds on that record. I'm curious to hear the effect.

BTW, did I ever tell you that you did an awesome job in your brief time with Shiner? While they existed, they were the best rock band anywhere.

Best,
--JES

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

Re: Schumann Pedals..poka poka that's it..

Post by supafuzz » Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:21 am

Yeah Poka poka that's the band..thanks Joel..We probably met at studio G
My cd "wildlife' was the very first to be recorded at studio G when it first opened and tony played bass on it..
you guys sounded really cool and as you said John was making music not just crazy sounds..that's what impressed me....

www.harleyfine.com

wonder what the 2 face sounds like....
:twisted: