How To Play Guitar

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
djslayerissick
buyin' gear

Re: How To Play Guitar

Post by djslayerissick » Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:50 am

my favorite:

"he wouldn?t have so much to worry about. What ever string he hit had to be the right one because they were all the same."

the funny thing is... people actually do this. i read about Trent Reznor tuning a guitar to all the same note, running it through an OLD OLD reverb unit and tremelo picking all the strings with 1 finger barred across at the root note of each of the chord changes to get a pseudo-synth guitar pad.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:14 pm

"Jesus Christ Pose" (Soundgarden) has guitars tuned so that all strings are "D."

Cornell even used to play guitar on the tune in concert.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:18 pm

Just checked that "pro audio" site.

I learned this:
"If you see or want new gear I can tell you what to get. I will add more later. SO MUCH GEAR MAKES ME TIRED TO WRITE! Each peice garanteed to be hi end and best for STUDIO PRO! I put together everything for you and send or if you close I weill drive in my car.

Jack Orman, PRO Dealer "

SO MUCH GEAR MAKES ME TIRED TO WRITE! So, how do I "close"?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

lifemine667
pluggin' in mics

Post by lifemine667 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:57 am

I'll bet this guy has advanced degrees from Bob Jones UNiversity. How about his photo? what a loser. let me say that again. WHat a loser.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:12 am

David Fair wrote:If you want to play fast move your hand fast and if you want to play slower move your hand slower. That?s all there is to it.
Cripes...this whole time I've had it backwards.
Last edited by Electricide on Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:08 am

JaredEll wrote:This website really gives a comprehensive overview of all the skills needed to play a mean guitar. Quit waisting your time practicing scales and chords... take the shortcut to awesome guitarism and read How to play Guitar by David Fair.
Hasn't anyone else here besides penelec heard of Half Japanese? This article is a playful jab at all the "pro" sites who make you think there's only one way to approach the almighty guitar. Lighten up, guitar pansies. If you're really threatened by this, or think it's just beyond lame, you most likely suck. Maybe David's tips can help. Have fun!

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:15 am

David Fair wrote:if you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction to effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic
reaction to effort ratio is really great. Like Janet Jackson!

bobbydj
on a wing and a prayer

Post by bobbydj » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:18 am

lifemine667 wrote:I'll bet this guy has advanced degrees from Bob Jones UNiversity. How about his photo? what a loser. let me say that again. WHat a loser.
Did someone say Bob Jones?!?

I have my own University already.

I need my own University.
Bobby D. Jones
Producer/Engineer
(Wives with Knives, Tyrone P. Spink, Potemkin Villagers et al)

Abe
audio school graduate

Post by Abe » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:14 am

Go Rent THE BAND THAT WOULD BE KING (a Half Japanese documentary)
It includes the above-mentioned How To Play The Guitar as well as hours of brilliant retardedness (or just plain genius!)
The movie opens with the song "Calling All Girls" which illustrates his guitar philosophy perfectly.

magritte
re-cappin' neve

Post by magritte » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:11 pm

it's pretty easy to write an essay like this. just act like a retard. here, i'll give it a shot:

Playing drums is simple, just buy some drums and sticks and bang on them in time. If you can't play in time, then just tell people you are doing improv. You can go in the forest and find sticks if you are poor, just make sure they don't have thorns on them.

The kit is pretty easy to set up. You put the big one on the floor. A lot of really good drummers will tell you to put a pillow and blanket inside this drum but that's hard to do and if you get tired it's better to sleep in a bed. The other important drum is the snare. It comes in many forms from rock snare to marching band guy snare. You can use any one you want, people just might call you gay if you use the wrong one but then you can just laugh at them and be like "no i'm straight". The toms aren't really important. You can do fancy rolls on them but I prefer to throw them at the guitarist when he starts playing a rehashed blues lick.

Cymbols aren't really important at all. You can just make all those noises with your mouth and they're just as good. If you want to make a loud sound, hit harder. If you want to make a soft sound, hit softer. That's pretty much it.

dynomike
carpal tunnel

Post by dynomike » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:28 pm

well done.

joeysimms
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by joeysimms » Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:29 pm

dynomike wrote:well done.
.. and basically true.

magritte