Mixing to a computer

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
Kyle
steve albini likes it

Mixing to a computer

Post by Kyle » Wed May 07, 2003 12:16 pm

Hello all

We have a decent analog studio (we love tape) and we have been thinking about mixing to a computer. Right now we mix to a CD burner, (this is our weakest link) but an engineer we know has suggested that we mix to a format that allows for 24 bit depth and allows us to make non-destructive edits if we need to.

We've been thinking about a Digi001. I would love some feed back from people who are already doing this or thinking about doing it. Any info or suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Kyle

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Re: Mixing to a computer

Post by I'm Painting Again » Wed May 07, 2003 12:35 pm

some stand alone cd burners have 24bit converters.
look at the newer sonys. Cheaper but no editing.

I use a mac with logic and an maudio delta series interface and it sounds quite good.

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Wed May 07, 2003 12:41 pm

if you actually want to buy a computer/protools rig just as a "mixdown deck" that may not be the best thing financially speaking...
although a digi001 isn't bad, converters are decent and you can probably get one used for $500.

the tascam da45 is a good 24-bit DAT recorder on a pro level

:mrpink: hillary

Studiotech
audio school

Post by Studiotech » Wed May 07, 2003 12:45 pm

The Mbox from Digidesign might be another option if you wanted to use Pro Tools, its a little cheaper then the 001.

Jay
pushin' record

Post by Jay » Wed May 07, 2003 12:54 pm

Hey Kyle!
I like my Echo Mia- 2 ins, 2 outs and digital ins should I want some fancier converters. It was around $300 in fake Canadian money. The crappy part is hauling the computer around.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Wed May 07, 2003 1:43 pm

Consider something that can sample as high as 24/192
For two channels, this should be a lasting quality standard.
So long as you have the hard disc space to back it up.

Honestly, why be stuck with pro-tools by using the 001?
Why not get a good breakout box converter that can be used
with any tracking/mastering software you wish?
:wink:
boobs are life's fountain

thearnicasync
buyin' gear

Post by thearnicasync » Wed May 07, 2003 2:02 pm

Yeah, I'd definitely be looking at 192. I think there's already a stereo 192 I/O in the sub $300 made by Ego-Sys...yep. I can't wait to hear 192.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed May 07, 2003 5:05 pm

Nice thing about taking mixes into a computer is the ability to edit and burn directly from there. You no longer need that standalone unit you had. The Digi001 is a brilliant little unit. The only 'all in' (soundcard, in/out box & software) device on the market. Getting socialized into the Pro Tools domain which has become the defacto standard in the professional recording industry makes alot of sense too. Ask yourself if your intent is to send digital 24-bit mixes to mastering or if you're still going to send 1/2" analog 2-track. That will determine whether you should pursue a more esoteric means (i.e. picking up a better digital clock source like the Aardsync II) of taking tracks into your Mac- and definitely go Mac. Don't plan on using this set-up for mastering. The guys in Los Angeles and New York have spent way more money on cable and esoteric gear than you will have and that equates to 'bigger, wider, more' sonically when they master.

wing
on a wing and a prayer

Post by wing » Wed May 07, 2003 9:43 pm

i like the motu units a lot, i have a friend who upgraded from the 001 to a motu 1296 or whatever and he was very happy. i hear the 001 is great, but i've been told that its converters aren't as good and its options/capabilities are pretty limited. but anyway, shop around, you may end up liking the 001! do what i do: find all the units that do all the major things that you want them to do, then make a list with columns listing every last feature down to the tiniest specs. compare down the line to see which one suits you best-- but remember to always ask what people think about it to!

good luck :)

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Post by Kyle » Thu May 08, 2003 8:04 am

Thank you!

All of this advice has been great.
I'm going to research the hell out of this!

I'm not interested in doing any mastering, but I am interested in getting 24bit files to mastering enginners.
Kyle