Electric Guitar Sounds

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
meblumen
steve albini likes it

Electric Guitar Sounds

Post by meblumen » Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:55 pm

I have a band coming in to do a demo in a week and upon speaking with them they informed me the sounds (particulary for the guitars) that they are going for are similiar to that of Built to Spill, 764-Hero and Seam. I'm familiar with all three bands and I dug up some of their CD's and have been surfing around on the net to get some info on the equipment used by the band. However, I have been unable to really dig up anything substantial on Seam and 764-Hero (I got quite a bit on Doug from BTS and I've seen some pics with SooYoung Park using a fender telecaster). Hence I was wondering if anyone knew what type of guitars/amps/effects they used and perhaps any special recording techniques they used (I know Phil Ek did some work on some of the 764-Hero records as well as with BTS). Thanks in advance for all your help.

doc
pushin' record

Re: Electric Guitar Sounds

Post by doc » Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:45 am

Doug Marsh (up until the last BTS album) has always played a strat through a Rat pedal into a Feder Twin. I'm not sure what Ek miked it with though. Probably a 57 or 421 on the grill and maybe a condensor a few feet away.

-doc

phantom power
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by phantom power » Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:30 am

I don't know what Doug Martsch records through but I saw Built to Spill play last week and he was playing a strat through a bassman. With a Danelectro distortion(it was white I think) and a Line6 delay modeler. I've also seen him play through an Ibanez AD9/tube screamer combo and would guess that it was used on alot of their recordings. Hope that helps a little. -AE

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:45 am

I appreciate everyones help thus far. I might have been a bit unclear in phrasing my post but I already have a good idea of how Doug from BTS gets his guitar sounds (BTW the danoelectric pedal is the daddy-o overdrive). Right now I'm more concerned with figuring out what guitars/amps/effects etc that the members of Seam and 764-Hero use.

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Post by meblumen » Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:10 am

Anybody...Anybody?!?

kristopher612
gettin' sounds

Post by kristopher612 » Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:09 am

so far all i can find is that the dude in 764-hero plays a telecaster. probably a strat too. im going off of pictures here. no list of gear, or anything. thought i'd let you know that.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:57 am

http://guitargeek.com

I believe they have Doug Martsch's rig on there.

Basically, he plays a strat through a Danelectro Daddy-O into a Vibroking. Nothing fancy.