PRESONUS M80 8Channels Mic pre

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

PRESONUS M80 8Channels Mic pre

Post by versuviusx » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:54 pm

hi i was wondering if anyone has used this and what they would compare it against. is it consumer pro or is it pro?

loudmusic
steve albini likes it

Re: PRESONUS M80 8Channels Mic pre

Post by loudmusic » Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:58 pm

I seem to remember somebody (possibly Larry) reviewing this in the magazine a few issues back. It got a good review.
I've always had my eye on one...

Marty

Cedar
gettin' sounds

Post by Cedar » Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:23 pm

I use the M80 all the time actually. Its a really usefull rack to have. Kind of pricey though. The pres sound pretty good, and I always end up using them for hi-hat mics or toms, especially when I use up my tube pres on other things like overheads and kick, etc. I like 'em.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:01 pm

I like mine. I think they sound is very clean, not colored much at all... it's got a sound, but not bad. The cool thing is the op-amps are in sockets and changing them with more expensive ones can change the sound nicely. You can also swap the generic transformers for Jensen transformers and the change is pretty dramatic. It goes from being slightly "colored" (ie, a little top-end heavy and not extremely realistic mid-range) to being ruler flat... almost like an earthworks pre.

cassembler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by cassembler » Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:33 pm

They're not bad, one of the better 8 channel packages in that price range. Only problem I had was that I couldn't seem to get enough gain sometimes. But the IDSS feature is kinda cool.

If you're _sure_ you want eight identical preamps, go for it. I'd personally opt for two (or more) two-channel models for variety purposes.
http://www.dfwsound.com (production co)
http://www.dfwsoundvision.com (studio)
"Man is doomed to perpetually fluctuate between states of extreme boredom and extreme turbulence."

andrewstadium
takin' a dinner break

Post by andrewstadium » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:29 pm

I talked to Bob at Alectronics in Boston about this one.
From what I gathered from the conversation, it lives up to its pro specs but sonically it is unspectacular. I was sort of bummed out by this consensus since I had been eyeing one as my ultimate front-end solution to Digital Performer. He seemed to think that its sound was lacking in character. I have been meaning to ask him if any of his customers have modded theirs with different IC's to acheive better sounding results...
http://www.alactronics.com/