Altec wiring/hookup

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Altec wiring/hookup

Post by johnny7 » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:07 pm

I just picked up an old altec 1591a compressor. I am wondering the proper way to wire the ins and out on the back. I plugged in a 57 and she seems to distort right away. Do I need to attenuate before the input?
Thanks, Johnny 7

meblumen
steve albini likes it

Re: Altec wiring/hookup

Post by meblumen » Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:28 pm

Did you buy it from Mike (bignerd)? If so or even if you didn't you should shoot him a PM and he can tell you how to go about doing it. I had one to play with for awhile and what I did was take some mogami cable rig up 1/4 plugs on one end and then attach the bare wires on the other end to alligator clips which I just moved from terminal to terminal on the barriar strips with a mic plugged in, just listening for the best one. Mike mentioned something to me about the inability to hook the output as a balanced connection and I could be totally wrong too but I was reading something the other day that suggested bridging two of the connections via resistor to hook it up balanced but I'm just talking from memory and in part probably out of my ass. Send Bignerd a PM he'll explain everything to you.

jspartz
buyin' gear

Post by jspartz » Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:42 am

Check out this link for a basic manual on the 1591a. I picked up one from Bignerd and have been having a a really good time with it. It is a cool comp!

http://nleinternet.net/alteclansingunof ... ackmixers/

Jason

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:40 am

Hey Jason,
Have you had distortion problems running through the xlr ?

jspartz
buyin' gear

Post by jspartz » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:58 am

I don't have the input transformer yet. I just bought one for 30.00 and I am waiting for it to show up. Once it is in I will let you know. I have just been using it as a comp so far.

Jason