So, anyone a privleged reviewer?

general questions, comments and ideas about recording, audio, music, etc.
CabreeToe
alignin' 24-trk

So, anyone a privleged reviewer?

Post by CabreeToe » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:19 am

I only ask cause I just heard aboot a new "high end" line of mackie mixer...

And thought maybe someone here had the fortune (or misfortune) of checking

them out in a review or prototype senario.

I am refering to the new "ONYX" mixers.

miriamaudio
audio school graduate

Re: So, anyone a privleged reviewer?

Post by miriamaudio » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:33 am

or misfortune
I have a dream. that dream is that maybe one day people will stop making fun of Mackie gear. Yes, I know that an SSL 9000J or even a tube tracker will sound better (in certain circumstances), but I owned a mackie for years, and it sounded very good for the price range, never broke, and never even had a noisy pot. when I used to sell equipment, the one good thing I learned was that if someone has a piece of gear (i.e. a mackie) because it's the most reliable thing in their price range, reminding them that something more expensive sounds better can be damaging to their creativity. why the brand knocking?

remember - it's your ears, and your fingers. gear is SECONDARY.
ask yourself:
why am I doing this?
rather than:
does this guitar sound good?
-eno

Roboburger
buyin' gear

Post by Roboburger » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:56 am

I don't have a problem with mackie gear near as much as I have a problem with a significant percentage of salespeople. There's a lot of clueless guys selling gear based upon what corporation their corporation is currently in bed with, and not even knowing as much about the product as they profess. Tossing around buzzwords without any real reference point. Usually the cure for what ails you is buy more gear, and hook it up with monster cable.

NOT ALL SALESMEN, AND NOT JUST MUSIC BIZ, but a significant percentage enough to make smoke come outta my ears.

I myself own and use my lil mackie 1402, the best solution for that given need.

and to be fair, I have the same annoyance with Soundguys, and I am one.[/img]
Audio Engineer Euphemism for going number two: "Rollin' off the Low End."

jajjguy
re-cappin' neve

Post by jajjguy » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:46 pm

Yep, you're right about Mackie. One reason it's the easy whipping boy for gear snobs is that it is the universal entry level equipment line, and therefore is a benchmark of some sort. You'll find it just as often used as another kind of comparison, like "X new piece of aggressively marketed equipment is no better than the stuff built into a Mackie board", which is not so much a Mackie slam as a testimony to how rarely another company makes something as good for as cheap.

I recall many responses to threads like "what's the best preamp for less than $100" saying just get a mackie 1202, which has 4 preamps that are a steal for something like $75 each and plus, it's a mixer!

Then again, for a few hundred bucks more you can do a lot better, but who's surprised?