portland beerup>Friday, April 28th

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

black mariah
buyin' gear

Post by black mariah » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:29 pm

eeldip wrote: hey, whats saint john's looking like these days?

very affordable homes up there, but scary far away...
Eh, not bad I guess. I'm not a good one to ask. I just moved here a couple of weeks ago. And it's not that far away, dammit. I'm right by the bridge though, so maybe we're thinking of two different parts of the same place. :lol:
Heurh!

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:36 pm

St. Johns has been getting all gentrified over the last several years. We lived there for four years from about 1998 - 2002 and it changed a ton just in that time, with property values going crazy and the old Safeway being rebuilt into one of the fanciest Safeways in the metro area. It's pretty crazy now. The old Fred Meyer on Interstate by I-5 was completely rebuilt and Max now runs along Interstate there up to the Expo center. That whole strip of Interstave is all pretty now too.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:42 pm

two different brew and views there i just read.. that sounds like enough of a neighborhood to me.

i lived in p-town from 95-00, so i think of it as buff fuck egypt. but like, its pretty affordable in terms of buying a house furdamsure.

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:10 pm

black mariah wrote:
eeldip wrote: hey, whats saint john's looking like these days?

Eh, not bad I guess. I'm not a good one to ask. I just moved here a couple of weeks ago. And it's not that far away, dammit. I'm right by the bridge though, so maybe we're thinking of two different parts of the same place. :lol:
I live in NoPo and work about 10 blocks from the St Johns bridge. Like anywhere else it has good and bad areas. The are a lot of poor white trash meth scrumbags, but around Willamette Blvd its pretty nice.
my band: Mission 5

black mariah
buyin' gear

Post by black mariah » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:40 pm

True. I've noticed that already. It's like th Haltom City (the town I moved from) of Portland. Nice houses two blocks from rundown methlab hellholes. The area I live in seems to be in between. Decent houses, right by the 'downtown' area. The neighbors in my apartment complex definitely qualify for White Trash though. :?
Heurh!

Huntlabs
pushin' record

Post by Huntlabs » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:24 am

So are we trying to get together Friday the 28th?? I've got a gig a Duffs Garage that night, not too far from the Lucky Lab. If it is Friday I doubt I can go.

John
"Add water, makes its own sauce"

www.CRACKERTONES.com

black mariah
buyin' gear

Post by black mariah » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:14 pm

The lamest part is that I was serious about the ride back here. :lol: I can't stay for long, have to bail around 10-ish, but I'll be there. Don't be surprised when I don't throw down any beer. I don't drink. But I do plan on eating the hell out of whatever good food they may have. :lol:
Heurh!

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:58 pm

bah! brett! I owe you a beer and that debt was half the reason for me suggesting another beer up in the first place.

anyone who can't make it tonight and would be into doing in next weekend, chime in. Looks like there may be enough people to go ahead and do it again. I'm always good for beer and microphones. If I'm gonna be drinking anyway, I'd rather bitch about protools than pretend I care about who owns the blazers.

Will

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:06 pm

syrupcore wrote:bah! brett! I owe you a beer and that debt was half the reason for me suggesting another beer up in the first place.

anyone who can't make it tonight and would be into doing in next weekend, chime in. Looks like there may be enough people to go ahead and do it again. I'm always good for beer and microphones. If I'm gonna be drinking anyway, I'd rather bitch about protools than pretend I care about who owns the blazers.

Will
No worries, my kids ended up coming down with the stomach flu last night anyhow, so I guess there was no way I'd have made it anyway. I'll have to check my calendar for next weekend as soon as we get out from under the shroud of bodily functions we've been encompassed by.

Hope everyone had a nice time last night.

-Bret

black mariah
buyin' gear

Post by black mariah » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:12 pm

I had to stay away. I don't get paid for another two weeks and I have $18 to spend. :shock:
Heurh!

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:29 pm

I made the call and couldn't even make it myself. I hope it was fun.

Brett, I think I have your plastic bag still. I'm holding it hostage.

Will

touched1
pushin' record

Post by touched1 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:34 pm

So I guess I'm the only one who said they were going that showed up?

Hmmm... Not the best meet and greet I've ever been to, but fortunately a friend met me there, and there was another lone Tape Opper that we managed to pick out.

A bit of a disappointment....

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Mon May 01, 2006 12:23 pm

sorry touched1.

I should have let the group pick the date. These things can take forever to organize so I thought I should just pick one far enough out. Wrong. Chalk one more up for democracy...

Will

touched1
pushin' record

Post by touched1 » Mon May 01, 2006 12:34 pm

No biggie, it's in my neighborhood and it was still good to get out.
I was just hoping to meet some more local recording enthusiasts.

I've been here a little over a year and have not met many people. Like many, I just work too damn much.

I'll do my best to be at the next one.

Perhaps we should set a minimum number of confirmed attendees before we call the night confirmed? Though I don't think it really needs to be that formal just to get people together to talk gear over beer.

Oh and Mariah, they have a nice Ginger Ale on tap at the Lucky Lab as well!!

ampguy
buyin' a studio

hey eeldip

Post by ampguy » Fri May 05, 2006 3:13 pm

what's up for this weekend? jam time??
eeldip wrote:
black mariah wrote:Excellent. I'll be there. Anyone want to volunteer a ride back to St. John's if I miss the last bus? :lol:
hey, whats saint john's looking like these days?