Music Licensing Question

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

kraigmason
audio school graduate

Music Licensing Question

Post by kraigmason » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:39 pm

Not really sure if this is the correct forum for this post, but I think this is the best place to start...here goes...

A good friend of mine works at a major TV network in the promotions dept.
He has included one of my bands' songs (that I recorded myself no less in my old apartment!) in a promo that will likely air for about 12 weeks.
He dug up some licensing contracts and found that the artist gets paid on the recording and the publishing in 2 seperate streams.
Even though I have a record out, I don't officially have a publishing company.
And I certainly don't want to lose out on a portion of the money that I could getting.
(possibly thousands of dollars!)
Does anyone have any input on this?
I am going to have to talk to the licensing people in the next week or so, so any input would be superb!

Thanks,

Kraig

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:16 pm

They'll pay to use the song - this is usually called the synch license - and they'll pay to use the recording of the song - this is usually called the master use license. The terms sometimes vary but it usually breaks down the same way. If you own the recording (ie: if you aren't under contract with a record company) and haven't asigned publishing to any 3rd party then you get both slices of the pie.

kraigmason
audio school graduate

Post by kraigmason » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:20 am

Great. I own both sides.
Would you reccomend forming a publishing company? (In general and for this specific purpose).
Or is that not needed?

Thanks,

K.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:48 am

Unless you're going to do lots of licensing it's probably more trouble than it's worth.