Promoting - WikiAudio.com

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

WikiAudio.com
pluggin' in mics

Promoting - WikiAudio.com

Post by WikiAudio.com » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:42 am

I didn't know where else this should go.

anyway,

www.WikiAudio.com

:D

WikiAudio.com
pluggin' in mics

Post by WikiAudio.com » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:19 pm

I saw that - looks good.
Hopefully we can all contribute something positive.

Thanks.

wikirecording
audio school graduate

Just a note on copyleft

Post by wikirecording » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:02 pm

I wasn't able to quickly find the license that WikiAudio.com is under, but I'd like to point out that WikiRecording.org is under the GNU Free document license (the same one as wikipedia.)

This means that no one owns the information on the site and that everyone is free to use it as long as they keep it under the same license and link back to the source.

I'm wary of people trying to start "wiki communities" that don't follow the fundamental principles of the copyleft/GNU movement. Free as in freedom (of use!)

WikiAudio.com
pluggin' in mics

Post by WikiAudio.com » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:51 pm

The issue we're facing at this moment is learning what is legally possible ( and acceptable). So for example, if someone post an article on a piece of gear and they use a picture of that piece of gear that was taken from the website of the manufacturer - it becomes a grey area. Simply because in the GNU license it might says our Wiki's content is freely distributable ...but the picture is actually owned by a manufacturer who may have not been contacted by the writer of the article prior to using it.

see?

Thats a small example , but I hope it makes a clear point.
So what we might do is divy up the site into areas that have different licensing agreements strictly as a means of compensating for these types of scenarios and also as a means of providing more than a conventional Wiki's licensing agreement allows for. We don't want to provide less - we want to provide more.

We're learning as we go along. The site has only been up for three weeks.

If you have any other criticisms feel free to post them - it helps us and it helps the audio community.

Thanks for your concern.

wikirecording
audio school graduate

Post by wikirecording » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:11 pm

WikiAudio.com wrote:The issue we're facing at this moment is learning what is legally possible ( and acceptable). So for example, if someone post an article on a piece of gear and they use a picture of that piece of gear that was taken from the website of the manufacturer - it becomes a grey area. Simply because in the GNU license it might says our Wiki's content is freely distributable ...but the picture is actually owned by a manufacturer who may have not been contacted by the writer of the article prior to using it.

see?

Thats a small example , but I hope it makes a clear point.
So what we might do is divy up the site into areas that have different licensing agreements strictly as a means of compensating for these types of scenarios and also as a means of providing more than a conventional Wiki's licensing agreement allows for. We don't want to provide less - we want to provide more.

We're learning as we go along. The site has only been up for three weeks.

If you have any other criticisms feel free to post them - it helps us and it helps the audio community.

Thanks for your concern.
In that situation you need to get the copyright holders permission to use the photo and mark the photo as used with permission rather than under the GNU license (wikipedia does this a lot.)

I'm happy your pursuing your project and feel free to use WikiRecording's content if you decide to go with the GNU license (except for the shure guides, which you need to get Shure's permission to use.) You just have to link back and cite us as the source (good for both of us!)

I've been doing this for a couple of years now (the site is just now really taking off with the support of several audio manufacturers.) If you have any questions about running a wiki, licensing/copyright stuff, extentions, programming (I don't know your level of skill when it comes to coding, but running a wiki and not being a hacker could be a pain), feel free to ask me! I'll all about helping people do the wiki thing.

I don't really see your site as competing with mine as long as its under the GNU license. In the long run I'm sure we'll just become one big community and its good for people to have alternatives to wikirecording if they don't like something we decide to do and vica versa. Its what the open source movement is all about!

You should also check out wikimusician.org

I'm just happy that my idea has become so popular and so many people are pursuing it (granted, about 3 years after I started mine...if only I hadn't been a full time student at the time...this is actually my first week of working on wikirecording full time because we got funding!)

WikiAudio.com
pluggin' in mics

Post by WikiAudio.com » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:32 pm

Ok.

This is good.

I will put a link to you in our links page.

Lets keep communicating.

Thanks.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:11 am

Which
Wiki
Will
Win?

Wary Wookies Wonder.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:42 am

dwlb wrote:Which
Wiki
Will
Win?

Wary Wookies Wonder.
Weni, Widi, Wiki!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:57 am

RefD wrote:Weni, Widi, Wiki!
I believe that would be Latin for, "I came, I saw, now what the hell was I trying to look up when I got onto this page?"

bickle
takin' a dinner break

Post by bickle » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:38 pm

Good stuff, and it's good to see free culture and home recording intersecting - I think they have a lot to offer each other.

One bit of advice for people starting out with these sorts of things: Be sure to incorporate as a nonprofit or whatever you wish to be. This will help to shield you from liability if copyright or other legal issues arise. And make sure you get good legal help; for projects like this, you may be able to consult a pro bono organization. Most states have some sort of "Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts" group that would be able to help with something like this. In California there's http://www.calawyersforthearts.org/index.html

WikiAudio.com
pluggin' in mics

Post by WikiAudio.com » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:32 pm

Quick update.

If anyone is interested in writing any articles or doing any tutorial videos for the site we will gladly put you on the "founding contributors" list. This list will exist for as long as the site does , and we intend on it being here for the next 20+ years. It's an easy way to have something new to tack onto a resume - good for audio students,
and once the site comes out of "beta" how cool would it be to say you were one of the founding contributors?

If anyone is interested just go to the site, create an account and then shoot us an email.

Also, we will be updating the site but the results won't come into fruition for a few months. We will be investing a lot of time and out-of-pocket money to develop this.

Think of WikiAudio.com as a "free online trade school where everyone is both student and teacher"......However, It's going to take a few months for us to complete the infrastructure to make this a reality - but it is definitely "in motion"

This is going to be very innovative and very cool.

Stay Tuned

:)

wikirecording
audio school graduate

Not so free...

Post by wikirecording » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:51 pm

WikiAudio.com wrote:Quick update.

If anyone is interested in writing any articles or doing any tutorial videos for the site we will gladly put you on the "founding contributors" list. This list will exist for as long as the site does , and we intend on it being here for the next 20+ years. It's an easy way to have something new to tack onto a resume - good for audio students,
and once the site comes out of "beta" how cool would it be to say you were one of the founding contributors?

If anyone is interested just go to the site, create an account and then shoot us an email.

Also, we will be updating the site but the results won't come into fruition for a few months. We will be investing a lot of time and out-of-pocket money to develop this.

Think of WikiAudio.com as a "free online trade school where everyone is both student and teacher"......However, It's going to take a few months for us to complete the infrastructure to make this a reality - but it is definitely "in motion"

This is going to be very innovative and very cool.

Stay Tuned

:)
Again, noting that WikiRecording.org already has the infrastructure and tons of articles.

Most of all, I strongly hold that its not a "free" online trade school if its not under the GNU Free Document License, like Wikipedia. I can't stress this enough. If everyone is allowed to contribute, then everyone should be allowed to use their contributions freely. WikiRecording.org does that...so far WikiAudio.com doesn't.
-E EInowski
Founder and Admin
www.WikiRecording.org
the free online guide to audio recording anyone can edit

WikiAudio.com
pluggin' in mics

Post by WikiAudio.com » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:09 pm

WikiRecording.org does that...so far WikiAudio.com doesn't.
your wrong.

We have posted the GNU licensing agreement under our articles section - feel free to go look for yourself.

And when I said we will be changing the infrastructure I am talking about a lot more than just having a "wiki". I can't mention anymore without giving it all away.

Saturday we are speaking with a lawyer to get the licensing agreements completely in the clear - which is necessary for what we have in mind.
Our Wiki will keep the GNU/Creative Commons licensing agreement , however the nature of what we have in mind requires us to get any loose ends in the clear first - hence the meeting with the lawyer. But like I said, I can't give anymore details without giving it all away.

What we are creating is a wiki and a lot more....

you'll see.

This isn't just going to be just another generic wikipedia rip-off - it's going to be trend setting.

wikirecording
audio school graduate

Post by wikirecording » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:17 pm

Good! That makes me happy. You should make sure it appears on every page though, thats very key.
WikiAudio.com wrote:
WikiRecording.org does that...so far WikiAudio.com doesn't.
your wrong.

We have posted the GNU licensing agreement under our articles section - feel free to go look for yourself.

And when I said we will be changing the infrastructure I am talking about a lot more than just having a "wiki". I can't mention anymore without giving it all away.

Saturday we are speaking with a lawyer to get the licensing agreements completely in the clear - which is necessary for what we have in mind.
Our Wiki will keep the GNU/Creative Commons licensing agreement , however the nature of what we have in mind requires us to get any loose ends in the clear first - hence the meeting with the lawyer. But like I said, I can't give anymore details without giving it all away.

What we are creating is a wiki and a lot more....

you'll see.

This isn't just going to be just another generic wikipedia rip-off - it's going to be trend setting.
-E EInowski
Founder and Admin
www.WikiRecording.org
the free online guide to audio recording anyone can edit