Music stores, etc. to check out in NYC area?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

segaface
steve albini likes it

Music stores, etc. to check out in NYC area?

Post by segaface » Mon May 05, 2008 10:42 am

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to NYC later in summer (August / September time frame)- do you guys have any tips for cool music stores to check out?

I'll probably be spending a fair amount of time in Brooklyn visiting a pal, so anything in that area would be great. Muchas gracias!

Andy
fossiltooth wrote: That's like saying you hate Fenders because of Yngwie Malmsteen.
My musics.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon May 05, 2008 1:37 pm

Hey Andy,

The little Brooklyn shop of note is Main Drag Music, and it's definitely worth poking your head in if you're in the area. They always have a handful of badass keyboards and amps on hand, tons of cool pedals, soundproofed (but woefully untreated) demo rooms, and their snare drum collection is often pretty stellar.

Southside Guitars have a lot of weird off-brand guitars and more traditional vintage gems.

It's been years since I last trekked out to Hoboken to check out Hoboken vintage or Guitar Bar, but if memory serves, it was well-worth the trip.

Not much going on in Manhattan these days if you ask me. East village music used to have a basement filled with weird quirky keyboards. Not so much anymore. Matt Umanov and Rivington guitars were OK last I checked. Ludlow guitars is a fairly impressive, but rather cold "look-don't-touch" environment, while Guitar Center is a zoo for children and masochists.

Have fun!

segaface
steve albini likes it

Post by segaface » Tue May 06, 2008 10:51 am

Thanks Justin!
fossiltooth wrote: That's like saying you hate Fenders because of Yngwie Malmsteen.
My musics.

locosoundman
pushin' record

Post by locosoundman » Tue May 06, 2008 10:11 pm

You gotta check out Rogue Music if you are in NYC:

http://www.roguemusic.com/
"We have met the enemy and he is us"
- Pogo Possum

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Tue May 06, 2008 10:24 pm

B&H's crazy ceiling delivery system and mic room are both worth seeing once.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed May 07, 2008 10:19 am

to add to the list......

30th Street Guitars is a pretty good shop too.
Lots and lots of pedals. Excellent repairs.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Wed May 07, 2008 10:32 am

and maybe Chelsea Guitars on 23rd. Right below the Chelsea Hotel.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Wed May 07, 2008 10:35 am

Maybe someone can help me out, because my NYC knowledge has become very loose, and maybe some of these places have gone away.

Ditto on Rogue, 30th street, Hoboken shops (there are a couple more there too), and Matt Umanov's is beautiful.

There's a great little shop in the West Village, Bleeker st. maybe, that has lots of ethnic instruments, a cranky proprietor, and a little rope across the door telling the visitor to ring a bell or something. It's a great shop, and there are a few VERY great record stores close by.

If Two Lines still exists, on Broadway in (just south of) SOHO, it's cool for looking, but too expensive to buy.

You should definitely do the 48th street shuffle, and hit the big ones and the little ones (not all are mentioned in that link). Look for the upstairs shops, they're cool and kind of hidden.

Main Drag in W'burg is great. There was another nice shop on 5th Avenue in Park Slope, between 3rd and 4th Streets, similar spirit.

There's an awesome African drum shop on Union st. (Park Slope/Gowanus) between 3rd and 4th Avenues.

Have fun.
-mad
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

indravayu
audio school

Post by indravayu » Wed May 07, 2008 2:25 pm

madtho wrote: There's a great little shop in the West Village, Bleeker st. maybe, that has lots of ethnic instruments, a cranky proprietor, and a little rope across the door telling the visitor to ring a bell or something. It's a great shop, and there are a few VERY great record stores close by.
Are you referring to the Music Inn on West 4th St? Super small and crowded, instruments hanging from the ceiling, lots of sitars and ethnic drums? Definitely a cool little spot - was there two weeks ago (though the owner didn't want to let me try out a sitar unless I was read to buy one, which I wasn't).

In Manhattan 30th St is a good shop (and Rogue Music is across the street), as is Rudy's Music, if you have cash to burn (they are expensive!). Rudy's is opening up a new amp showroom soon (if it isn't already open) - supposed to have tons of boutique amps.

- Chris

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Wed May 07, 2008 4:02 pm

I've posted a fairly comprehensive list to answer this exact question at
http://www.totalsonic.net/nycshops.htm

Best regards,
Steve Berson

indravayu
audio school

Post by indravayu » Wed May 07, 2008 7:38 pm

Cellotron wrote:I've posted a fairly comprehensive list to answer this exact question at

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Good list, but you need to add 30th St Guitars - 1000x better selection of instruments and service than First Flight Music, for example.

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Wed May 07, 2008 7:48 pm

indravayu wrote:
Cellotron wrote:I've posted a fairly comprehensive list to answer this exact question at

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Good list, but you need to add 30th St Guitars - 1000x better selection of instruments and service than First Flight Music, for example.
I just added it. People should be aware I'm not trying to create a be-all end-all always correct list here - just trying to help folks visiting with a good number of the more obvious suggestions.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

indravayu
audio school

Post by indravayu » Thu May 08, 2008 11:38 am

Cellotron wrote: People should be aware I'm not trying to create a be-all end-all always correct list here - just trying to help folks visiting with a good number of the more obvious suggestions.
Despite this, your list still ended up being fairly comprehensive - only a few others you might consider adding to the list (Matt Umanov, Chelsea Guitars, Rivington Guitars, NY Guitar & Bass Boutique, Mandolin Bro's in S.I.).

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Thu May 08, 2008 2:25 pm

Man, I had forgotten about Mandolin Brothers. I had one of my best gear-store experiences out there. Me and a buddy went out there and spent the whole afternoon k=just playing everything. Beautiful guitars. And the guys who ran the place just chatted with us, no big push, no anxiety, just talking guitars. I loved it. Go there.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com