someone who can convert Digital Performer to Pro tools?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

ElectricMess
ass engineer

someone who can convert Digital Performer to Pro tools?

Post by ElectricMess » Thu May 14, 2009 1:16 pm

i have a bunch of songs in digital performer that i want converted to pro tools.

can you do this and for how much? im in nyc.....

vikingrecording
gettin' sounds

Post by vikingrecording » Thu May 14, 2009 1:45 pm

if you aren't trying to copy automation and/or processing into PT, but just the audio, it is very easy. im guessing this isn't what you want, but ...
Consolidate your tracks to all have the same start point and no edits.
Rename them to something useful(like snare top not audio 02.003)
Open a new session in PT.
Import your now time aligned audio to that session.
Get to work!

ElectricMess
ass engineer

Post by ElectricMess » Thu May 14, 2009 4:59 pm

actually that is all I am trying to do but when i tried to do that before like you suggested there was just so many files. i couldnt get it all together. it seemed like either files were missing or i should really just open the files in dp and than consolidate them within DP

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri May 15, 2009 10:49 am

Yes, consolidate in DP, zero align, export as WAV files, and then move to PT.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

vikingrecording
gettin' sounds

Post by vikingrecording » Fri May 15, 2009 11:48 am

sorry, i should have been clearer, consolidate in DP.
That way you can name the files so you can find them when you drag em over and they will definitely be where you expect them.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Sat May 16, 2009 10:28 pm

we're all saying the same thing - but this is how i do this (in sort of a more spelled out manner):

1. in DP, i set a marker at the top of the song
2. go to marker - record .5 sec of silence. (i can only record 8ch at a time w/the 828, but usually you'll have more than 8 tracks you're trying to consolidate - this is why i set the marker first - so files all start at the same point. if you only have one song per DP session and it's close to 0 - use that. but i often have a reel of tape on a session that gets broken down, so this particular song may start at 12: 45 or whatever.)
3. repeat 2 for your remaining tracks.
4. rename all tracks as mentioned w/useful names if they're not already. (ie snare, not audio 2)
5. select all, select audio > merge soundbites
------
your files are now contiguous SDII files with the same start point. now you need to export them in a way any other DAW can understand
------
6. in your soundbite win - select all your newly merged files, they'll have nice clean names now that you renamed your tracks - also you can sort by modified date if you're getting confused and have a ton of files in there - select 'export selected bites' - choose wav or aiff at the same sample rate, save to a new folder like song_name/consolidated_files

now these files are ready to import into any PT session.