PR suggestions for CD Release?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

btswire
gettin' sounds

PR suggestions for CD Release?

Post by btswire » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:10 pm

Hello All,

I released a CD a few months back, and have been fortunate enough to get about a dozen solid reviews, both on the web as well as in print publications. I decided to compile a list of quotes from the reviews to help with PR, although I don't really know where to go from here.

I'm thinking I'll send out CDs with a press release and quotes to college radio stations. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Ben

andrewlloydwebern
audio school graduate

Post by andrewlloydwebern » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:48 pm

Nice! To my knowledge, it's not uncommon to include a "quote" sheet of rave reviews about your CD/band/artistic ability to use for booking, more reviews, etc.
Blog and music - NateTrier.com

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:38 am

Call to follow up. 50% of good PR is being a pain in the rear.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:42 am

If you go to shows with bands in similar genres you could print out postcards and/or handout sampler cd-rs. Whether either of those turns into sales is a crapshoot but it is relatively inexpensive and easy. If you don't have print industry connections sites like clubflyers.com offer color postcards for a good rate that turn out nice (assuming you can give them high res artwork).

daysleeper
pluggin' in mics

Post by daysleeper » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:14 am

Get in touch with whoever gave you a good review and politely ask them about doing a feature story on your band.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re: PR suggestions for CD Release?

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:43 pm

So anyway, on the other thread (clone of this one), I asked "What is the Genre?" That will determine some basics of your PR/Marketing approach.

GJ

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:46 am

darjama wrote:Call to follow up. 50% of good PR is being a pain in the rear.
agreed! as a former music editor for the local small arts rag, i can definitely say the people who followed up a lot, AND WERE NICE :), got more attention than the folks who just floated a CD and/or press release.

one more thought. think about it like this...
what makes it easier for people to do business with you? thoughtfulness goes a long way. music press folks are inundated with musicians and bands vying for press. but when i rec'd a press release written in all caps, with no info on the band, or with a body of text that I couldn't even find ONE quote to copy/paste drove me crazy - especially when it came to describing the music.

and, sometimes a guy just doesn't have space to give you a feature. maybe it's gonna be a quick "editor's pick" or a small blurb and a photo. so, have short "bio" in addition to the tome you want to put on your website, with the best, most interesting quick and dirty info. have a *good* photo, taken by somebody who knows how to take a good photo. have at least two choices.

anyway, rant over. here's the last bit from a website i always point bands to when i snare them in a chat about this stuff:

"Before you write a word, remember this:

The reporter isn't interested in helping you make money or driving visitors to your site. He's looking for a story that will be interesting to his readers and pleasing to his editor. He could care less about your great selection, super customer service and commitment to quality. He wants to know only the info that will help him craft a good story....

Take your ego out of it. Take your natural inclination to sell, sell, sell out of it. Look at your story with a cold, objective eye.
"