A Golden Opportunity ? Squandered

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:15 pm

(Everyone should probably disregard alla my stream of unconciousness below, but I thank ya's for making me think about it. :twisted: )

The hooker quote above is awesome, makes me think:

1. How doya know so much about us? :twisted:

2. We all kinda are.

3. I make $0, try to make $0 and intend to make $0 at making music.

For me, then, I can excuse my related indulgences (gear, jams, recording time, etc.) as it being a labor of love - I also expect no success, and so feel no pressure: I only "work" on what I want to.

My point?

I think it would be vastly different if I had to actually work regarding music, on mine or anyone else's.

My job is my job and I like it; music is my love and I cannot imagine (at 53 years of age) mixing the two.

Everyone should probably disregard alla my stream of unconciousness above, but I thank ya's for making me think about it. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

flapmaggot
takin' a dinner break

Post by flapmaggot » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:16 pm

My Opinion Only: To be involved in the "industry;" the money making entity, you would need to develop a thicker skin than what you have demonstrated while dancing on the parameter. Having stuck my head in and out rather quickly, I realized the biz doesn't have much to do with creativity or comapssion for that matter. Given that you decided to procreate, your obligation is to your family and the folks that pay you to keep them housed and fed. Does that mean you stop rockin? NO - that means you collect better gear and find time to do what you love after you have taken care of family business. After being a drum slut for years, I settled into education and feel great about helping 1st gen College kids in a bigger way than I ever thought and feel better about being a dad and husband. While at the same time, I recorded several records that have been released and have recorded many talented friends in my studio. It's a challenge, but doable. I drink a lot of Coffee! The sacrifice? I don't tour, I rarely hang out, don't engage in extended family drama and lost touch with a few friends, but I still record all the time. When the Chillen get older, have them play on your record! Many of my friends and aquaintences who have been IN the "industry", held on a bit too long perhaps as many face on-going employment and housing problems - not all, but most. If you can hang, adapt, fail and recover and your family is ready for the chaos - go for it. But be reminded that it is a "BUSINESS". Also, the studio tends to supplement my income a little which is a blessing so maybe that can work for you as well! Good Luck to you! C

agershon
gettin' sounds

Post by agershon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:35 pm

flapmaggot wrote:My Opinion Only: To be involved in the "industry;" the money making entity, you would need to develop a thicker skin than what you have demonstrated while dancing on the parameter. Having stuck my head in and out rather quickly, I realized the biz doesn't have much to do with creativity or comapssion for that matter.
vvv wrote:My job is my job and I like it; music is my love and I cannot imagine (at 53 years of age) mixing the two.
OK peeps ... stick with me here. I did NOT say I wanted to open a music recording studio or go work at one. I'm talking about POST PRODUCTION for TV/Film/Video. Totally different ball game.
patchboy wrote:I have ended up with a pretty sweet, full-time with salary/benefits gig at a multimedia company doing music production. 44 years old, wife, house, 2 beautiful kids... all good. But I do miss playing, and I do miss recording punk rock bands in basements, and recording string sections at Conway, with cappuccinos a snap of the fingers away, flip-flops on the console.
This sounds amazing. Please retire and I'll take over.
kayagum wrote:People seem to think that a single activity is supposed to cover all of the bases- emotional fulfillment, rent and/or mortgage payments, family and friends, etc.
True dat. No one activity is going to scratch all the itches. But, the thing you do for 8-10 hours most days better scratch A LOT of 'em.
ubertar wrote:
kayagum wrote:"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't." ~ Erica Jong

"No one wants advice ? only corroboration." ~ John Steinbeck
Guilty as charged.

A friend of mine had an interesting perspective today. He said that work is more integral to a man's self esteem than it is for women. Men need to be proud of the work they do to be happy/fulfilled.

My wife does a classic "day job". She doesn't love it. But she doesn't bring it home, it's not stressful and she makes a decent living. She's cool with that. She doesn't understand why I can't be the same way.

Is it truly different for men and women??

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:26 am

agershon wrote:
vvv wrote:My job is my job and I like it; music is my love and I cannot imagine (at 53 years of age) mixing the two.
OK peeps ... stick with me here. I did NOT say I wanted to open a music recording studio or go work at one. I'm talking about POST PRODUCTION for TV/Film/Video. Totally different ball game.
Gottit, hence my doubled disclaimer ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.