RIP - Only Studio Built from the ground up in LA

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

paparob
ass engineer

RIP - Only Studio Built from the ground up in LA

Post by paparob » Wed May 11, 2011 2:59 pm

Today I heard from my bro that our beloved studio had been turned into a doctors clinic. I am talking about Aire LA studios in Glendale , CA...It actually was built from the ground up as a studio..A cant remember who was commissioned by Yamaha Corp, to build a state of the art R&D studio to test their studio gear like the Rev5, SPX90, etc from that 80's era. When I got their was after Yamaha sold the studio due to it making a Profit , therefore negating the R&D tax status that Yamaha had. A profit by making some of the greatest R&B hits of that era..Whitney Houston, Anita Baker, Jackson, with Producers like Sir Dean Gant, The Calloways, and Mixers Like Barney Perkins, Jon Gass...Look up these names and see the years of work in that studio..
The studio was built on 5 cement foundations to prevent any transfer of the earth onto the studio floor. They had an SSL 4048 when I got there and Craig Burbidge who took over and He and I made some great records before the business of Aire LA got off the ground..I learned sampling on an AMS DMX, Reverbs on real plates and Lexicon 224 and 480's.. In the rack we had 8 SPX 90's, 4 REV5, 4 REV7s , A REV1 , NS-10s with replacement speakers by the dozen, Yamaha P2002 Amps stacked to the sky and an awesome collection of microphones and drum sets . Anyway I can go on, but why..Big Studios go under everyday, and now the most important Building in my career is now a clinic, with all the double walls and floating floors gone .! Go get a blood test...

1019 Central Avenue
Glendale, CA
Rob Seifert Gage
Producer/Engineer
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rob-seifert-gage/30/6a9/316

read TapeOp Jan2009 essay by me....

" mixing hit records on Sunday, Chopping Firewood on Monday "

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed May 11, 2011 4:06 pm

Last time I was in there, Neal Avron was mixing the remaining songs from the Skycycle album. Our console was only 52 in, so he needed a larger board.

As I recall too, they had a Euphonix in their second room with a large film screen that the band that was in mixing in the SSL room could use for video gaming.

I don't remember the Studio managers name (Biff maybe?), but I remember he was really into the Euphonix recording system they had just gotten.

I think at this time, the studio was known as Front Page, do I remember wrong?
Last edited by @?,*???&? on Thu May 12, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

paparob
ass engineer

Post by paparob » Wed May 11, 2011 4:12 pm

Yep, it was front page and Biff was his name..They used to be down the street from Encore , in Burbank. I once tracked a Mike Watt Album there, and Biff sold me on the Euphonix until Mix day came around, and he could not deliver the goods, I called Aire LA, and mixed a great record on a great desk . I never made it to Front Page when he was in Glendale...
Rob Seifert Gage
Producer/Engineer
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rob-seifert-gage/30/6a9/316

read TapeOp Jan2009 essay by me....

" mixing hit records on Sunday, Chopping Firewood on Monday "

Actiondyne
audio school

Re: RIP - Only Studio Built from the ground up in LA

Post by Actiondyne » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:03 am

I worked there after Biff sold it… When it was Broken Wave Music. I loved this building and am fascinated by its history. I’m working on building it in 3D so people can tour the inside virtually in VR… try to preserve the history as much as I can. Any info I could get from anyone who worked in this building would be super helpful.
https://www.actiondyneindustries.com/ac ... riaxg8c8sq