Fun In NYC

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:26 pm

And don't buy the "grass" in Washington Square...

My ladyfriend adores this place:
http://www.foodswings.net/
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

Danly
takin' a dinner break

Post by Danly » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:15 pm

no love for bushwick?

check out

http://www.myspace.com/asteriskartproject

http://www.yelp.com/biz/LToSn8CK2igVI2-sLkAO2w

-like most of the opinions on yelp, the wreck room is only worth visiting if you're in the neighborhood, but if you're coming to bushwick, it's a great bar. i like dives..
Starlab

directaction
gettin' sounds

Post by directaction » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:47 pm

1. If you want hella good vegan food, go to Uptown's Juice Bar, right off 125th and Lenox. You'll never be the same.

2. Definitely walk through prospect park.

3. LES is still nice. If you like good, cheap Indian food, check out Panjabi, at the corner of 1st and 1st. Get the Chick peas with a samosa and yogurt. $2.50, and damn tasty.

4. Enjoy Coney Island before it goes away forever. After Astroland closes, get some fried chicken and a 40 and hang out on the beach.

5. Hit up MoMA on a Friday, or you can visit the Brooklyn Museum or the Met any weekday. It's free (suggested donation).

6. Ride the Staten Island Ferry at sunset. Also free.

7. Hit up the bar "Continental" at the corner of St. Marks Pl and 4th Ave in Manhattan. You can get 5 shots of anything for just $10, including top shelf stuff.

8. Stay the hell away from Midtown.

9. Spend as little time in Williamsburg as humanly possible, unless there's something fun going on at McCarren Park Pool.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:35 am

directaction wrote:
3. LES is still nice. If you like good, cheap Indian food, check out Panjabi, at the corner of 1st and 1st. Get the Chick peas with a samosa and yogurt. $2.50, and damn tasty.

7. Hit up the bar "Continental" at the corner of St. Marks Pl and 4th Ave in Manhattan. You can get 5 shots of anything for just $10, including top shelf stuff.

what street is it where the whole block is Indian restaurant on top of Indian restaurant? My buddy Ralphy took us to that block last time we were on tour and ate the best cheapest Indian food ever. It was somebody's b-day in the restaurant (which was like the size of a shoe box) and all these sirens and lights started going off and the served THE WHOLE RESTAURANT ICE CREAM!!! there where chili pepper lights and flowers hanging all over the place, from the ceiling..

man, the "Continental", I hung out there for an evening 10 years ago, was a roadie for a touring act.. the cute bartendar gave me happy hour prices all night long, shook hands with two of KISS' lawyers who were kinda scary.
Last edited by trodden on Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:37 am

6th street....

buuuut some REALLY great indian food is up on Lexington around 27th, 28th streets... there is a place called Handii which is amazing... cheap huge platters... delicious. some classier joints up there too, good for dates.

jackson heights, queens is the 'local' place, but that requires a bit more effort to get there.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

hiddendriveways
pushin' record

Post by hiddendriveways » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:02 pm

East 6th Street between 1st and 2nd Avenue to be exact.

In that neck of the woods, if you want cheap Indian, walk down East 6th from 2nd, then hang a right when you get to 1st Ave. Around the corner on 1st Ave there are two Indian places at the top of a stoop. As you walk up the stairs there will be maitre d's from both restaurants trying to entice you to go into their restaurant. If you hesitate as you climb the stairs as to which door to enter, they will literally start screaming at each other. I've tried both, but I like the restaurant on the left better. They have more Christmas lights in that little shoe box than anywhere on East 6th. It's cheap, and free ice cream is abundant.

If you're in the mood to spend $$$ for crazy good Indian, go to Brick Lane on East 6th. Yum.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:43 pm

directaction wrote:at the corner of 1st and 1st.
"how can a street intersect with itself? I must be at the center of the universe!"

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:50 pm

big ups to Punjabi on 1st and 1st... so amazing. i eat there everytime i play Mercury Lounge or Sin-?.

john
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:28 pm

hiddendriveways wrote: 1st Ave there are two Indian places at the top of a stoop. As you walk up the stairs there will be maitre d's from both restaurants trying to entice you to go into their restaurant. If you hesitate as you climb the stairs as to which door to enter, they will literally start screaming at each other..
THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED!!!! TWO OF US ALMOST GOT PULLED INTO THE OTHER RESTAURANT WHILE THE REST OF MY PARTY WENT TO THE OTHER!!!

Meg K
audio school

Re: Fun In NYC

Post by Meg K » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:21 pm

Definitely go to Coney Island, and if you haven't been on the Wonder Wheel yet, add that to your to-do list. Try to get in one of the swinging cars - it's waaay scarier than the Cyclone (though I haven't tried the Cyclone in the rain).

As for vegan food, in Williamsburg I love:
Wild Ginger - Pan Asian, almost entirely vegan - there are a few desserts with dairy, but there is absolutely no meat (I think they have a Manhattan location as well)

Black Betty - not a vegan restaurant, but a vegan friend loves their falafel platter, and they have enough vegan apps (and a decent happy hour) to fill you up

In Manhattan, there's a restaurant called Counter that I've been to for brunch a few times. It's the only place I've found that has really good vegan breakfast food, and I've heard that their dinner is also excellent.

I second the Zebulon suggestion. I love that place, and I don't get over there often enough. Unfortunately, McCarren Pool doesn't have anything booked yet that late in Sept., but fall seems to be a great time for shows in NYC. Check out ohmyrockness.com, they always seem to have pretty comprehensive listings of shows in the area.

For Indian food, I love Raga in Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn. It's almost as cheap as Curry Row (6th St), but much better food, and Carroll Gardens is nice, if a bit yuppified.

Oh, and my favorite bar in Williamsburg is Iona. Hopefully by September they'll have Fuller's London Porter back on cask! Good beer selection, pleasant staff, and the crowd tend not so much to be the tight jeans set.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:30 pm

Hope your visit to NYC is going well. Drop a note in here to give us an update.