Portland, OR

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:36 pm

I was there for the second Tape Op. It was in an art museum annex. Right down the street a local told me about a really good seafood joint. JHall, Takeout, Nick Kraska and I went and were NOT disappointed. JHall and Takeout are total foodies like you and the Missis. The Paillea was fan-freaking-tastic!

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Post by roygbiv » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:32 pm

Yeah, if you are a foodie, then you will not be disappointed with Potland, er Portland (that was an actual,non-planned Freudian slip).

Lots of Chefs have relocated here for the (relatively) lower cost of doing business compared to other coastal big cities. And the beer and tattoos, probably.

Here's a quick article on the subject, albeit from a not always reliable source (at least when it comes to starting wars):

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/26/dining/26port.html

Note - the article is a bit out-dated. The latest craze around here is "Cart Food". Lots of enterprising young Chefs who can't afford to open their own restaurants are buying Food carts, so they can whip up their crazy concoctions and sell them at the masses. Everybody benefits.

Think of it as liberal/hipster capitalism.
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:51 am

Portland, OR has the world's smallest park, I believe there is no admission:
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/6065

The zoo was nice (we went in September), but seemed to have a few missing animals (as in, shouldn't there be more than one chimp/zebra/whatever). It's right on the train stop (can't remember the name of their mass transit) which is on the surface downtown but underground 600 feet or something at the zoo.