RICHMOND VA TapeOp folks? beer night or some such nonsense?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:12 am

narcopolo wrote:hey guys, i just ran into this post - hadn't been on tapeop in a month or so. i'd be pretty psyched to come hang out at the next hangout. this is jay from SOM and the hotdamns, by the way . . . maybe someone could pm me?
hell yeah, i'll be sure to do just that the next time one of these rolls around. the more the merrier.
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

digital eagle audio
pushin' record

Post by digital eagle audio » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:06 pm

awesome - looking forward to it! also, if anyone is bored this saturday, we're playing that benefit show at mojo's for the oregon hill fire victims . . .

vikingrecording
gettin' sounds

Post by vikingrecording » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:21 am

Prepare yourself for Dave's most awesome collection of instrument! i get the biggest kick out of trying to explain the bowed saltry to people! Awesome!

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:20 pm

i have a hard enough time explaining it myself. i decided to look it up on you tube the other day and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pubx5Bupmks

i think i'm in love

SkullChris
takin' a dinner break

Post by SkullChris » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:22 pm

Get them digits!
"Live to Win!"
brieflives.bandcamp.com
lubec.bandcamp.com/
hexmachinery.blogspot.com/

vikingrecording
gettin' sounds

Post by vikingrecording » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:10 am

i definitely could have done without the damn flute in that video!

vikingrecording
gettin' sounds

Post by vikingrecording » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:40 am

Collected Richmond Tape-opers!

I have been kicking around an idea for a little while in light of some conversations i've had lately.

I am doing some tech work for folks around town and while im not a pro, i have a pretty good handle on making shit go again.

I thought it might be fun to, as a group, build up some little kit or something. So i have been looking, there is a lot of cool stuff out there, but a lot of it is pretty pricey. Then i came upon this-a $20 opto compressor! I haven't built it, but if it is like anything else scott has designed, it's going to be serious bang for the buck!

I have an etching tank that i have yet to use, but making PCB's is both a necessity for this project and could be fun. I have made them before with the RS kits, they take a long time but that's good for drinkin!

I don't know if anyone is interested, but if so, we can pull together some sort of group buy to make it less confusing and build them all together at a meet up. That way if anything weird happens we can address it.

What do you guys think?

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:04 pm

hey Allen, i'd be down for that. and it looks like i could actually afford it too! i've been meaning to get more into the electrical side of audio for a while so this would be pretty sweet. keep me posted.

all overtime i'm working right now has kicked my gear lust back in. i don't really have time to work on music right now, so i'm itching to get right back on it when this show opens up, and since i have worked an insane amount of hours i'll have extra cash burning a hole in my pocket. especially when i start thinking about how much of a blast it would be to have some new piece of gear to mess with when i get time again. ahhh! so this might keep me from buying more expensive gear that i don't really need and subside my addiction(yeah right). i really should probably invest in a mic pre that's better than the ones in my presonus. hmm...

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:37 pm

Count me in, definitely. My soldering skills need some more work but I'm game. I think I can still price all this out via Mouser and do a bulk order of some kind? Let's plan to go over this at the next beer night, WELL before we get too many drinks in us!
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:56 am

I am totally in too -- and my solder skills are even worse than Erik's so it should be fun!
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

vikingrecording
gettin' sounds

Post by vikingrecording » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:05 am

Excellent! Thanks, Erik for the offer to do the buy! I think that is the best way to do it. That way we all have the same stuff and can help each other with trouble shooting. Scott has several little projects like this and there are plenty more BIG projects out there. If this goes well, we can build up a few things.

Word, this well be a lot of fun!

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:12 am

seems to be that time again, especially now that i've got this damn life eating show out of the way, and can get back to my audio projects.

so what's looking good in april for everyone to get some drinks and audio awesomeness on, and maybe figure out what we're doing with this compressor project? the first two weekends seem open for me (at least on fri/sat, got another rinkydink tour stop on the 5th).

also, anyone else want to host? my spot will of course be fine if all else fails.

thoughts?

SkullChris
takin' a dinner break

Post by SkullChris » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:59 am

I'd be happy to host over at Metro Sound, but I'm gonna be out of town this upcoming weekend. How bout we shoot for the 11th? That'll give us enough time to order the parts for the opto too. Let me know what y'all think. -Chris
"Live to Win!"
brieflives.bandcamp.com
lubec.bandcamp.com/
hexmachinery.blogspot.com/

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:41 pm

i like it.

vikingrecording
gettin' sounds

Post by vikingrecording » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:54 am

yeah, let's hit up Chris's new joint at Metro! Big too!

I've got some spare time today so i will be pulling together info about the opto comp