Seattle - Where's the party at?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Seattle - Where's the party at?

Post by Shawn Simmons » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:06 pm

Hey Seattle 'Oppers, we need to get together for another story telling, beer swilling, shit talking night out. Any takers? I vote for the Tin Hat or Deja Vu.

shawn

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:22 am

Yes! I'd like to recommend Moon Temple Lounge in Wallingford. Really stiff drinks and you can get the whole restaurant menu (greasy chinese food) served in the bar. Easy to get to, easy to park, and did I mention stiff drinks. But hey, I'll meet up wherever for some TapeOp talk.

doc

Mason
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Mason » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:06 am

This isn't really along the lines of a beer night, but I'd like to shamelessly promote an upcoming show for my band, the Levitations:

Saturday, Nov. 12
9lb Hammer, 6009 Airport Way S
The Levitations
The Honey Hush
The Wakefields
FREE SHOW

We, the Levitations, have a good thing going on: we play a mostly uptempo country-ish folk rock, we keep the songs short and try to arrange them just right.

This is a good bill at a fun place. We go on around 11pm and I'll be toting a stack of self-recorded demos that I'll give out to anyone who's interested. Just ask the guy with the long curly hair (me).

Mason

cassettefetish
steve albini likes it

Post by cassettefetish » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:10 pm

Ummm

I have a lot to talk about. But I don't get to record so much anymore.

I do have a lot going on with my label though.

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:58 am

Sure, just completely ignore the EAST side of the state as usual.

What about a halfway point?

Yeah, ya know, like a rockin' ass night in Vantage or Washtucna!!

OK, maybe not.

But if you guys want to jump in a car sometime and come out and tour the school studio and such, let me know. 'Tis a pretty place, and you're all quite welcome.

Otherwise, I'll be waitin' to see what AES chapter events are happenin' out that way.

-Jeremy

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:36 pm

Eastside? What are you talking about? You mean there is something beyond the Cascade mountains? Who knew?

Just kidding.

If you can line up some pretty, young college girls give us a tour of the studio, I'm sure I could round up some guys to come check it out.

shawn

kately
audio school

Post by kately » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:08 pm

this is a bit off-topic-ish question but i figure i can get some seattle people's advice. i'm moving there in a month from nyc and i'm really into playing with field recordings...but also everything to do with sound. it's a recent obsession likely to stick so i've apprenticed a bit with an engineer and got to meet some phonography and recording people here but i want to live out there right now. so the cheese line is: i want to learn as much as i can and meet people who do things related to the capturing of sound because it's mostly all i care about. i am a nice person and have pretty college friends that don't live in seattle. i'm sorry.

katie
ice sculpture implodes on jagged toenail precipice and then, mice smell like mice.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:06 pm

Kately, I'm from Wenatchee in the center of the state, this is a cool site for song birds. http://www.naturesound.org/ (Field recording).

Jeremy, are you at WSU? I'd love to drive down and sit in on something. I seem to remember seeing a newspaper clipping from Walla Walla talking about some Neumann mic that WSU had sold at an excess sale, and the people who bought it sold it on ebay for some huge sum.

my web site:
http://www.wintershed.com/index.html
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:40 pm

Yep, that's where I am.
Yep, you'd be more than welcome to drop by.
And nope, that wasn't me that sold the mics - it happened just before I arrived and I've heard about it.

Apparently someone was clearing out old equipment from something like a physics lab. Really could have been anywhere in the state since the WSU surplus guys are a depository for all state governement agencies. But the story goes something like they had a couple of U-47s with power supplies, etc. and they looked a lot like 50 year-old lab equipment (because they were) and so they tagged them at like $10 each. They sold for somewhere around $15 each at the auction to a semi-local antique dealer who put them up on eBay, probably with only a $100 start or something, and sold them for between $6000-8000 each which is typical used market pricing for them.
The music school almost did the same thing a month or two before I arrived with a couple of U-67s that had been taken down from the concert hall when the tubes died and they were replaced with a couple AKG C-1000s (no shit). Luckily someone suggested they wait and see if they might be useful to the new engineer, and I was able to save them from a similar fate. $1500 worth of tweaks and new tubes from Korby and they live comforatbly in the mic locker.

Every time I've been to surplus there hasn't been anything that cool. Though I did buy 2 pallets of LPs for $10. Surplussed from a campus radio station.

But yeah, just PM or e-mail me if you're interested in taking a day trip down here after Thanksgiving (I'm away this week).

-Jeremy

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:57 pm

Ok,

hafta watch this one, as I'm also in Seattle area. :D

Regards

ju

johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by johnny7 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:52 pm

I'm down with the Tin Hat... johnny7

cvanwinkle
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by cvanwinkle » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:07 am

I just realized the TOMB was back up today. Has it really been since Feb? I got over the addiction and didn't even realize it.

If anyone is going to the local AES meeting on the 13th, I'd be up for beers (or anything else) before or after.

danielson
audio school graduate

Post by danielson » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:53 pm

Hey, has there been any success with getting a Seattle TapeOp group together? I bet there's a number of people that would be interested once things got rolling. Perhaps someone should just post a time and place and see if anyone shows up?