Seattle Beer Night?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:37 pm

Well thanks man - I figured i could count on you to come out & play. I probably won't have Ted along this time, but I'll try to drag out a few of the minions who have graduated and are back over there.
I think the gig is Thursday the 14th, but I'll check to confirm that. Trouble is that I think we're making it a drive-by gig heading out on Thurs and back on Fri.

-J

cvanwinkle
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by cvanwinkle » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:52 pm

So how bout a Seattle Beer night after this?
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.aes.org/sections/pnw/
September Meeting Notice
Some Lesser Known Facts About Digital Audio
Dan Lavry - Lavry Engineering
7:30 PM, Friday, September 29th 2006
Glenn Sound Recording
228 Dexter Avenue North
Seattle, WA 98109
There are a lot of lesser known but interesting tidbits of information regarding digital audio that a lot of us normally do not think about. For example, have you ever wondered how different S/PDIF cables could actually sound (and measure) differently?
Dan Lavry is an electronic circuit design genius and an innovator in digital audio.
His work goes back to the early 70's when he began to acquire basic design skills designing circuits for telephone traffic measurement gear. Some of Dan's previous work includes; high speed digital circuits, wide band precision analog, system architecture with such state of the art designs as a high speed IC test systems for IBM and Toshiba, time interval generator (programmable down to 10ps steps) for Hughes, AD converter (8 bits at 100MHz) for EH research, about a dozen magnetics and switching power supply designs for the telecom industry, pioneering contributions in load sharing supplies and early work in low dropout regulator ICs; high dynamic range design of front end amplifiers (gain up to a million), programmable filter and isolated AD for Nicollet biomedical, an array of AD and DA converters for instrumentation, medical and telecom industries (HP, ITT, ATT, GE, Siemens and more).
As a mature designer, Dan acquired an appreciation for timing accuracy, including jitter issues when designing some specialized tail pulse generators for physics research labs. He then spent a few years designing super accurate time interval meters for the aviation industry. That project was all about fine timing, clocks and low jitter issues.
With his background in conversion, and a love for music, he got into audio in the early days of digital audio. Dan's first design was an early 16 bit stereo AD and 18 bit DA. Early products that were designed for Analog Solutions were sold to companies such as Ampex, Otari, New England Digital and more. Ultra Analog, who manufactured Dan's DAC module under the name DAC D20400, sold modules to OEMs Wadia, Pacific Microsonics, Mark Levinson and others.
Dan partnered with Apogee Electronics and designed the electronics for the first Apogee AD-500 and DA1000 and contributed nearly 2 years into the dither project with his mathematician friend, Jerry Goodwin.
For the last 14 years Dan has been designing conversion equipment for his own company, Lavry Engineering, formerly known as dB Technologies. The company name, dB technologies, was changed in 2002 to Lavry Engineering. His current designs incorporate many proprietary and innovative features ranging from his newer and much improved dither, ABC Acoustic Bit Correction, Crystal lock (the best jitter reduction), to ground breaking performance and unique architecture and circuitry for his AD's, DA's, sample rate converters, microphone preamplifiers and more. The Gold series converters are used by many engineers as well as major mastering and recording facilities. The introduction of the lower cost configurable units (from stereo to multi channel) Lavryblue conversion and LavryBlack products makes Lavry quality products accessible to a larger number of users. Dan's favorite design remains his Gold DA924.
Join us for a stimulating and informative evening with Dan Lavry as he shares interesting and lesser known tidbits of information about the complicated world of digital audio that we work and live in.
We'll see you on the 29th! In the meantime, Audio!
Our meetings are open to anyone interested in Audio. AES membership is NOT required for you to attend our meetings.

touched1
pushin' record

Post by touched1 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:35 pm

If things go as planned, I should be just arriving in Seattle on or around the 29th.
I'll TRY to make it. But won't know for certain for a few weeks.

jayf
gettin' sounds

Post by jayf » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:25 pm

I'm interested...

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:26 am

woah i need to check out hookups more often.

I live in c-attle,

i like to drink,

i like to record and play muzik.

lets do this.

cvanwinkle

Post by cvanwinkle » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:00 pm

Cool, I'll be there regardless. We can choose a place on the spot unless someone on the board knows they cannot make it to the meeting but wants to meet up afterwards.

-C

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:11 pm

Good call, I'll also be there, so game on. =)

ju

cvanwinkle

Post by cvanwinkle » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:08 am

bump

(just because it is tonight)

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:15 am

Ha, I was just going to do the same! =)

touched1
pushin' record

Post by touched1 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:35 pm

My move to Seattl has been delayed.

Hope we can pull another beer night together soon....

Have a few for me :lol:

jayf
gettin' sounds

Post by jayf » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Due to lingering fluishness, I couldn't make it. Next time...

(p.s. it'd be great if someone who went could post a report on Lavry's talk and on the beer afterwards!)

hautacam
alignin' 24-trk

bump

Post by hautacam » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:41 pm

I thought I would bump this thread to see if it would be possible to try again to get everyone together. I know that there are even more Seattle people on the board now. Is anyone interested? Say maybe on a Wednesday or Thursday night?

I vote for Cafe Racer, they have awesome live music and the beer is cheap! Plus it is more of a hangout place then a traditional bar.

Let me know what you guys think! :D

touched1
pushin' record

Post by touched1 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:54 pm

I've been here 18 months and count the people I know here on both hands.

I can count the people I talk to regularly on one.

I probably should not attend. I must smell like burned capacitors and melted plastic or something.

I think that means count me in...

hautacam
alignin' 24-trk

Post by hautacam » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:20 pm

touched1 wrote:
I probably should not attend. I must smell like burned capacitors and melted plastic or something.
It is probably not you, Seattle is an amazing city but isn't so hot for meeting new people. So all the more reason the reason to show up!

Professor
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Professor » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:38 am

Wow, a resurrected beer night thread from two years ago!?!

Um, yeah, count me in long as it waits for me to get my car back from the guy in Cd'A. I just finished up the semester, this next week is finals week, and then summer session kicks in... but I could sure use a good excuse to get away for a weekend. (And I don't suppose any of you west-side boys are interested in the scenic drive out to Spokane... let alone to Pullman.)

Maybe we could arrange some kind of event to get the boys out of the woodwork, like a tour of something, somewhere. Studios, manufacturers, venues, etc. Or just a day at the EMP?
I dunno, or just an evening of alcohol and debauchery in Belltown or something.

-J