Looking for Tube Amp tech in Portland

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Looking for Tube Amp tech in Portland

Post by workshed » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:47 pm

Just picked up a Magnatone amp from 1948 or so and need to get it looked over/tuned up/find out what impedance it's running at, etc. Who do y'all recommend for a tech around these parts? I used to take stuff to Jeff at Old Town, but I heard he doesn't work there any longer.

Thanks,

-Bret

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:33 pm

i highly recommend my friend, eric hold. he works at trade up sometimes, however, he's on tour right now with his band and they'll be back in portland in a few weeks...
if you can wait, email him @
counterbound@comcast.net

:mrpink: hillary

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:41 pm

TapeOpHillary wrote:i highly recommend my friend, eric hold. he works at trade up sometimes, however, he's on tour right now with his band and they'll be back in portland in a few weeks...
counterbound@comcast.net

Thanks Hillary! I also found Jef's new shop in NE Portland, Leighton Audio. Unfortunately, I need to get this looked at soon, as I will be needing it. I'll keep your friend's name on file for future needs though!

-Bret

rolandk
buyin' gear

Post by rolandk » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:01 pm

TapeOpHillary wrote:i highly recommend my friend, eric hold. he works at trade up sometimes, however, he's on tour right now with his band and they'll be back in portland in a few weeks...
counterbound@comcast.net

I know Eric, used to work with him. He also worked (or still works) at Inner Sound. I don't have any personal experience with them but have heard good things about them. The place I've heard nothing but bad things about is KMA.
my band: Mission 5

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:06 pm

rolandk wrote:
counterbound@comcast.net

I know Eric, used to work with him. He also worked (or still works) at Inner Sound. I don't have any personal experience with them but have heard good things about them. The place I've heard nothing but bad things about is KMA.
Yeah, I've had some good luck with Inner Sound, but they are pretty pricey (and a little slow) and i really want someone who has a love for old vintage amps to work on this.

KMA is another story. I took my Marshall there and he kind of messed it up and charged way too much. This was many years ago. Then one of my closest friends and bandmates took a job there and quit in like 1 day because the guy who runs it was totally ripping people off, I guess. I've heard a lot of bad stories about the place since then and avoid it.

Anyone ever use Amphead for anything around here?

-Bret

touched1
pushin' record

Post by touched1 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:48 pm

I have no amp repair advice, but yeah, avoid KMA like the plague.