SF this Weekend!

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

SF this Weekend!

Post by trodden » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:41 pm

Besides AES, what else is going on? I'm gonna be in SF friday through monday. Plan on Seeing Oxbow and Kayo Dot at the Hemlock, anything else happening?

tguncle
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tguncle » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:39 pm

Although it's in the Eastbay (but VERY close to 19th street bart) I HIGHLY recommend you check out the Oakland art murmur. A bunch of galleries in one area all host art openings on the first friday of every month. Galleries sometimes have music, and the stork club (in the middle of it all) usually has a free show on the night of the art murmur and the festivities tend to spill out into the street for an all around good time vibe (wash any connotation of hippies that might have given you away); all very cool and worth checking out, and then that night, just down the street at the ghost town gallery The trashies (from your seattle) are playing with the bananas and fleshies, which should be a good show if you're into that sort of thing. here's more info on the murmur http://www.oaklandartmurmur.com/pages/about.php

and a link to a http site of Steve Koepke's List with info on upcoming shows in the bay area: http://www.burnvictim.com/list/

ledogboy
pushin' record

Post by ledogboy » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:20 pm

Holy crap man! What isn't going on in town this weekend! In addition to AES there is:

The not strictly Bluegrass Festival (http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/) where Elvis Costello, Steve Earl, Earl Scruggs and many more will be playing. In Golden Gate Park! Free!

My friends These Arms are Snakes are playing Slim's with Thrice and Planes Mistaken for Stars on both the 7th and 8th.

I dunno- there's a zillion other things- those are just two that I am (or wish I was) doing. I'm getting called away, but look online, there's a lot going on, and if the entertainment isn't your cup of tea, just visit as many restaurants as you can squeeze in. Have fun!
Ryan

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:30 pm

ledogboy wrote:Holy crap man! What isn't going on in town this weekend! In addition to AES there is:

The not strictly Bluegrass Festival (http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/) where Elvis Costello, Steve Earl, Earl Scruggs and many more will be playing. In Golden Gate Park! Free!

My friends These Arms are Snakes are playing Slim's with Thrice and Planes Mistaken for Stars on both the 7th and 8th.

I dunno- there's a zillion other things- those are just two that I am (or wish I was) doing. I'm getting called away, but look online, there's a lot going on, and if the entertainment isn't your cup of tea, just visit as many restaurants as you can squeeze in. Have fun!
Ryan
ahaha yeah i'm going to the TAAS show, i'm always stoked to see them even though i'm in seattle as well, but really wanted to see Planes.. told my friend about the show and she's stoked, then I found out that fucking Thrice is playing.. making tickets way too much and more annoying fucktards at the show. but yeah, i promised so, we're going on Sunday. maybe see you there?

That Oakland Art Murmur thing seems really cool as well. Seems Kinda like our "first thursdays" we have up here, but i bet more fun, people seem to know how to have more fun down in SF/Berk/Oak than up here in C-attle.

Least it seems we have more fans down there than anywhere..

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:32 pm

oh yeah and plan to hit Herbivore for as many meals as possible.. their vegan breakfast is fucking awesome.

that and plenty of margaritas in the mission. Any taco/burrito shops in the mission where the beans are guaranteed lard/animal free?

tguncle
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tguncle » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:58 am

trodden wrote: Any taco/burrito shops in the mission where the beans are guaranteed lard/animal free?
I wouldn't count on it... When was the last time you were in the Mission? It's been changing a lot over the last 10 - 15 years, so there are a lot of new restaurants catering to yuppies and hipsters in the mission, you shouldn't go hungry for fear of lard.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:31 am

tguncle wrote:
trodden wrote: Any taco/burrito shops in the mission where the beans are guaranteed lard/animal free?
I wouldn't count on it... When was the last time you were in the Mission? It's been changing a lot over the last 10 - 15 years, so there are a lot of new restaurants catering to yuppies and hipsters in the mission, you shouldn't go hungry for fear of lard.
You're right, but damn a real burrito in the mission is so much better than yuppie food. I've had food from that Taqueria Cancun a few times, people told me it was lard free and it was fucking good, but i always feel a bit "funny" afterwords... maybe cause i eat too much and suck down a few negra modelos as well.

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:40 am

Cancun does claim to be lard free. Papalote is quite yuppie and all about being healthy, so I believe them when they claim all their beans are lard free.

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:41 am

Forgot to add: http://www.burritoeater.com/. Not super helpful with the lard question, but a great resource overall.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:59 am

Phiz, you rule.

I didn't know there was a third Cancun on market. I've only been to the two mission spots. from the reviews, it seems that the market st one is not nearly as good. My favorite is the one that is kinda across the way from where Mission Records was. straight up sketchy and feeling a bit dangerous but so freaking good.

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:04 pm

On Sunday after not eating all day, we made the trek to Cancun. Food hasn't tasted that good in a long time.

ju

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:30 pm

I'll be in SF for an hour or so on Saturday until I jump on a smaller plane and head to the Red Woods. woo! Only my second time visiting Cali.

jebjerome
takin' a dinner break

Post by jebjerome » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:37 am

El Farolito.
<i>who shot...
What, who, the bazooka was who
And to my rescue, it was the S1Ws - PE</i>
Jeb

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:02 am

Man, I never made it to CanCun, even though i was in the mission a lot. lame.

BUT! i did get the pleasure of dropping a few copies of our new record off at Amoeba on Haight, and then spending $180.00 at Amoeba. Thats after i had to put like 4 cd's back. that store rules.

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:28 am

What does the Amoeba look like? The last time I was on Haight St (the only time I've been to SF in the past) I went to an awesome record shop and bought a few CDs. There was so much there I couldn't take it all. I've heard they've done some cleaning/remodelling to the area since I was there several years ago.