suggestions for where to take my fambly in Portland

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

suggestions for where to take my fambly in Portland

Post by alex matson » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:43 pm

The whole lot is coming for Christmas. I've been a studio mole or working mostly, and hanging out in places younger folks congregate so far. Me dear auld Mother is 69, so I won't be taking her on long treks in hiking boots, but I was thinking Multnomah falls for sure. I want to know what else you guys would
recommend...cool, atmospheric mid priced, or, hell, dirt cheap restaurants, must-see only-in-pdx stuff...plus it has to work in winter, so no jet-boat tours.
Anyone ever check out that scenic train tour up the Gorge? Any opium dens or brothels?

indravayu
audio school

Re: suggestions for where to take my fambly in Portland

Post by indravayu » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:45 am

alex matson wrote:The whole lot is coming for Christmas. I've been a studio mole or working mostly, and hanging out in places younger folks congregate so far. Me dear auld Mother is 69, so I won't be taking her on long treks in hiking boots, but I was thinking Multnomah falls for sure. I want to know what else you guys would
recommend...cool, atmospheric mid priced, or, hell, dirt cheap restaurants, must-see only-in-pdx stuff...plus it has to work in winter, so no jet-boat tours.
Anyone ever check out that scenic train tour up the Gorge? Any opium dens or brothels?
When I lived in Portland, I always enjoyed going to the McMenamins theater pubs - especially the Baghdad - really cool spot to have a drink and some food while watching a classic old movie. Of course, you have to take the family to Powell's Books - one of Portland's greatest attractions. There used to be some nice cafes on Hawthorne St - I assume they're still around [I left Portland in '98]. On the weekends they have the Saturday market downtown, near the river - think it runs until Christmas - lots of hippy-ish trinkets being sold in booths, but there's good food and live music.

If you're looking for a road trip, take the family to the coast - perhaps to Newport - won't be much happening in the winter, but it's still really beautiful.

- Chris

workshed
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by workshed » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:47 pm

The chinese gardens are always nice if you can find a break in the rain. Portland Art Museum, Crown Point (out towards Multnomah Falls), Pittock Mansion, and if they are into wine you could always take them out to the willamette valley to hit all of the wineries.

Since it will be Christmas, there are some cool christmas light displays, the most notable one being in North Portland, just off Interstate Ave. It's an old house that was one of the first settlements in that area and they usually cover it and the trees around it with lights. And if you are out there, Portland International Raceway is around the corner and has the cheesy light show you can view while driving the racetrack in your own car. And then there is the Grotto out on Sandy, which is a huge Catholic shrine that they decorate with lights.

Hope this helps.

EDITED: Changed Lombard to Interstate for the Christmas lights house.

-Bret
Last edited by workshed on Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

riantide
takin' a dinner break

Post by riantide » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:11 pm

For righteous cheap food, check out:

-La Buca on NE 28th and Couch
-Queen of Sheeba on E Broadway
-Nicholas' on SE Grand
-Amazing crepes at Chez Machin on Hawthorne
-Khun Pics on Belmont
-Sushi Land on NE 18th or so and Weidler
-Amazing breakfast at Tin Shed on 13th or so and Alberta

That's all I can think of. Most of the awesome, super-pricey restuarants in the Pearl have cheap happy hour menus as well. The art museum might end up having a cool exhibit around that time as well, although not likely. Even if it's cold the coast is always gorgeous. Hope that helps...

syrupcore
deaf.

Post by syrupcore » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:53 pm

that bar way up on the 30-something floor of the office building at 5th and burnside has really nice views. It was a hit with my mom. Never eaten there but happy hour prices were totally reasonably. might be called portland city grill?

I love OMSI.

it's easy to kill time (and money) cruising alberta, hawthorne and all those little strips.

Just a drive up the west side and over the St Johns bridge is pretty nice.

the gardens in chinatown.

and of course, wimpy's!

Will

inflatable
pushin' record

Post by inflatable » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:12 pm

The Kennedy School is a great place. It's on the Eat side of the river in a residential neighborhood.

It's an old elementary school that's been converted to a Movie Theater/Restaurant/Bar. The old detention room is a smoking lounge. Great for adults and kids of all ages. Send the tikes to a movie and you go enjoy a Scotch and a cigar in detention.

I found out about the place from Dave Attel's show on Comedy Central. That was a great show.

5736 NE 33rd Ave, Portland, OR
(503) 249-3983
Kennedy School

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:09 pm

Well...ironically enough....that's where I work, and where my family will be staying while they're here! What are the odds? :o

lg
steve albini likes it

Post by lg » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:34 am

hey, that's a cool place...makes me want to visit portland just to stay there!

Jeremy Garber
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jeremy Garber » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:20 pm

If you feel like taking the drive you could go check out Patrick's Point just north of Eureka, Ca. I made it there a couple weeks ago while I was visiting NorCal for two weeks. I got some really nice pics. May not be worth the drive from Portland though. lol

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:48 pm

I really like Union Jack's. I'd recommend checking it out. Nice people working there.

jayro_rockola
takin' a dinner break

Post by jayro_rockola » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:28 pm

Cruising Peacock lane at christmas is kind of a tradition in my family. It's a neighborhood where 80% of the houses have (or had) outrageous lighted decorations on their houses. Just a random childhood memory.
It's around Belmont and 39th.