RIP James Brown

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

RIP James Brown

Post by NewAndImprov » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:20 pm

The world got a lot less funky this Christmas. There are few artists who have changed the DNA of pop music so deeply. For me personally, James Brown and Miles Davis were my Elvis and Beatles.

The beautiful thing is, he had gigs booked to the very end.

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:11 pm

Yeah, my heart sank when my dad told me.

We just saw him last month on a british music award show, shredding the floor, belting it out and being soooooooo James Brown.

We're lucky to have had him for as long as we did.

God Bless James Brown

-mad
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

craigb156
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by craigb156 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:29 pm

Ahh...and the shotguns & PCP!!! Loved that guy.

Craig

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:13 am

And now Gerald Ford! When will the mortality cease?

r0ck1r0ck2
re-cappin' neve

Post by r0ck1r0ck2 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:59 am

i've been racking my brain trying to find a connection between the two..

?????

i'll miss you james..

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:43 am

madtho wrote:For me personally, James Brown and Miles Davis were my Elvis and Beatles.

I 2nd that at least for James Brown. His music is the oldest stuff I really enjoy, I can totally feel what he is feeling on so much of that stuff. "I Got You (I Feel Good)" definately on of my all time favorite songs!!
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

kayagum

Post by kayagum » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:16 am

As much as I love James Brown, the Bomb Squad (Public Enemy's production team) would have sounded completely different without him.

All hail the Godfather of Soul! :worthy:

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:27 pm

r0ck1r0ck2 wrote:i've been racking my brain trying to find a connection between the two
James did endorse Richard Nixon for pres in 1968, so there's a connection with only one degree of separation.

I'll thank Gerald Ford for bringing America out of Watergate, but I'll thank James Brown for changing the sound of music from the late 50s onward. He name is synonymous with the invention of funk, and his back catalog forms the basis of hip hop. He brought us such household names as 'Maceo' and 'Bootsy' and showed us what it REALLY meant to be the 'hardest working man in show business.' If you told me James Brown was one of the 12 apostles, I'd just about believe it.

Rest in Peace Mr. Brown

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:56 pm

r0ck1r0ck2 wrote:i've been racking my brain trying to find a connection between the two..
http://www.google.com/trends?q=%22james ... ld+ford%22

The spike in James Brown searches back in 2004 was followed, not much later, by a spike in Gerald Ford searches. A spike in James Brown searches would normally relate to some sex or drug offense on his part, right?

There is, however, a strong connection between Gerald Ford and George Clinton (both were US vice presidents): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Clinton

RIP James Brown.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:18 pm

Oh, and it's almost a given that James Brown visited the Betty Ford Clinic at least once during his illustrious life.

;ivlunsdystf

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:27 pm

Plus, James Brown and Betty Ford have the same talent agency: http://www.teientertainment.com/

I really need to just drop this thing and get on with my life.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:29 pm

Fuck,man. That's one that hurts.

And I just listened to the Christmas album.

I can't begin to describe what sort of effect James Brown has had on my musical outlook. When I really started listening to James Brown, a lot changed for me. The guy was a genius in the same way that Miles Davis was a genius. He put together bands that changed the way people played on more than one occasion. Not many artists can say that.

I know many people who worked with him and/or knew him over the years. (I worked in the room where "Papa's Got A Brand New bag" and "Don't Be A Dropout" were recorded for three years.) They all had great stories. The guy was a nut, especially later in life, but when he was pleasant, he was INCREDIBLY polite and considerate. I love reading or hearing interviews with him, especially old ones.

I remember him on Arsenio Hall about 14 years ago. It was so RIDICULOUSLY badass, especially for that time period.

RIP James, but only with as much peace as you want. Thanks for the immense amount of inspiration.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

frozenfoodaisle
pluggin' in mics

Post by frozenfoodaisle » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:00 pm

Ditto. I live in the same town that James Brown resided in until the end of his life. A few days before he got sick he was handing out toys and chatting it up for a local toys for tots event. Even though he had his character flaws, he still had a huge heart.
My favorite coffehouse/bar has been playing nonstop James Brown tunes since his passing and it's wonderful. His spirit will always live on in the still funky in it's own way downtown of Augusta,GA

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:31 am

I'm of the opinion that people (general public) aren't recognizing what a giant we've lost.

I was talking to my wife last night and thinking back to rock/soul/country musicians who've died since we've been alive and out of diapers. The list is long:

Elvis
Marvin Gaye
John Lennon
Johnny Cash
James Brown

I know we're missing many, but these leap out as the real big ones. I think JB belongs at or near the top of that list (and I know it's not a contest). I wish I were in NYC today/tomorrow, I hear that his body is going to laying in state at the Apollo.

People should all be putting JB on their stereos and feeling that freaky connection which music too rarely achieves. Al Sharpton, in a New Yorker article, once said he liked his hair the way James liked his hair: Died, fried, and laid to the side.

Peace to JB

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:36 am

I read his memoir "I Feel Good", followed by Fred Wesley, Jr's "Hit Me Fred" last year. Very interesting pair taken together. I recommend it.

I spun a couple of tracks of JB on my xmas radio show, immediately following Arvo Part's Litany.