Looking for Analog Studio near Pittsburgh PA

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

joelgrimes
audio school

Looking for Analog Studio near Pittsburgh PA

Post by joelgrimes » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:04 pm

Hello, this is my first post to this messageboard, although i've been a long time reader of Tape Op. Just wondering if anyone could reccomend an analog studio (preferably 2" tape, but not necessarily) in or near Pittsburgh, PA. We are attempting to record a full length record, and our friend's studio (H Hour Studios, owned by Jason Kirker of the Modey Lemon) recently shut down. So, we're on the search for a new studio. Our band, Allies, sounds like a combination of Unwound, Fugazi, Chavez, The Ex, etc. We use fairly standard gear (JCM 800 and JMP 100 Marshalls, SG's, P bass, etc)..

OK, please send me any suggestions and/or contact info for area studios, and thanks for your help!

Joel

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:24 pm

Welcome to the board!

I cant help you with a tape studio in Pitt, but if you do find one please let me know. I had someone contact me last week looking. (We are about 1.5 hours from Pitt and they were willing to make the trip.)

What happened to H Hour studio?
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:42 pm

"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:05 pm

Machine Age studios: http://www.inthemachineage.com/

mr scratchy esq
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mr scratchy esq » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:46 am

In addition to Machine Age you might want to check out Treelady Studios. I'd recommend my own studio but it's still under construction...

good luck,
Bill

matyas
pushin' record

Post by matyas » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:57 pm

I second Treelady. It's run by TapeOpper Garrett Haines (who writes for the magazine and posts here every once in awhile.) Nice Sony/MCI 2" tape machine and console, great-sounding room, and a great collection of gear. Very nice and knowledgeable staff. I recorded there a little over a year ago and was very happy with the results.
"Music is an oversimplification of the situation we are in." - John Cage

joelgrimes
audio school

thanks!!

Post by joelgrimes » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:01 pm

hey all, thanks so much for the advice...i knew about Machine Age, and am looking into them...I also somehow missed that Tree Lady has a 2" machine, so i will definitley look into that...

can anyone tell me a little more about their experiences at or with these studios?

thanks again, and Bill -- Greg Cislon says hello!! (he plays in aLlies now!)

-joel

matyas
pushin' record

Post by matyas » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:41 pm

I don't know much about Machine Age, although of course it's best to shop around for a studio. But my experiences at Treelady were very positive. We recorded to 2", then dumped to PT at the end of the sessions so I could edit and mix at home. (I would have loved to have mixed there, but I didn't have the funds.) Their room sounds great, nice iso booth, and nice gear collection. I used stuff like a Gefell M930, Royer 121, Millennia and API pres, 1176, Distresor, etc.
"Music is an oversimplification of the situation we are in." - John Cage