a list of Radio Stations that play your music for free!

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

a list of Radio Stations that play your music for free!

Post by versuviusx » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:48 pm

ok so i have this idea. wouldn't it be cool if everyone in tapeop made a list of every radio station(in their city) that plays unsigned bands for free. i really don't know how mainstream music stations work or who tells them what to play. but bands need more than just myspace. so i was thinking if i could i would send a cd to every radiostation in the US that would play it. most radiostations probably wouldn't do this. but there are a lot of stations that would. SO i'm gonna be the first to put down my radio station that plays unsigned bands for free.
it would be awesome if everyone would read this and take some time to just google or use switchboard.com to find the address and number of each station that does this in their city. if just 10% or tapeop DID this we would have a huge list of radiostations that could play our music. i think everyone could benefit from this. even people who record other people could say to the bands that they are recording: " you know their is a list of radiostations that would play your music for free if the station liked it."
i say its better than nothing. there are so many people who want to hear new stuff but don't know how to. all they have is the radio. or they listen to what they're friends are listening to. myspace is a great avenue but 1. there are so many people who will never get into myspace, 2. there are so many shitty bands that exist that people get burned out sifting through it all. so they give up. i'm just saying a list is better than no list. so lets see what we can do.
i will be the first to enter my radiostation that does this.the format is

name of radiostation e.g."WUIN 106.7"
street address
state
zip
phone number
web site

if there is no web site or phone number put N/A for not applicable.
also keep it in order so 1,2,3,4,5.....etc.
LETS SEE HOW MANY RADIOSTATIONS WE CAN PUT TOGETHER!
Last edited by versuviusx on Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:50 pm

WUIN 106.7 FM
The Carolina Penguin
122 Cinema Dr
Wilmington,NC 28403
(910) 332-1067
website N/A

bradfromtampa
gettin' sounds

Post by bradfromtampa » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:21 pm

name of radiostation: WMNF 88.5
street address: 1210 e martin luther king blvd
city: tampa
state: fl
zip 33603
phone number: 813 238 8001
web site: wmnf.org

versuviusx
re-cappin' neve

Post by versuviusx » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:51 am

keep em coming!

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:19 am

Only problem with this is that once you make the list every band on myspace that can afford it will send their CDs to everyone on said list. Which means these places will be receiving a ton of extra CDs every day. Which means they'll never be able to listen to all the CDs, and they'll have to start taking only ones that are solicited.

Just a thought.

in Philly you could try 88.5 WXPN btw.

-marc goodman

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:33 am

Marcocet wrote:Only problem with this is that once you make the list every band on myspace that can afford it will send their CDs to everyone on said list. Which means these places will be receiving a ton of extra CDs every day. Which means they'll never be able to listen to all the CDs, and they'll have to start taking only ones that are solicited.
I disagree. People are too lazy to actually mail things. Sometimes I am even one of those people.

jckinnick
buyin' a studio

Post by jckinnick » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:35 pm

I don't know about local but one of my favorite online radio stations is Littleradio.com. They've had a special show where the Beastie Boys played there own record collection and they've had a secret Sonic Youth show plus they broadcasted live from SXSW this year. And there weekly specialty shows are damn good.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:22 pm

Forget it. It'll take too long. Instead, just request a copy of this or find one at a newstand if you are in New York or Los Angeles.

http://cmj.com/index.html

It's the guide everyone else uses...

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:17 am

It might be a good idea to list the genre/genres of music they typically play as well. That way, you won't waste your time sending your new album of blues to the punk rock station.

tateeskew
steve albini likes it

Post by tateeskew » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:08 am

inverseroom wrote:
Marcocet wrote:Only problem with this is that once you make the list every band on myspace that can afford it will send their CDs to everyone on said list. Which means these places will be receiving a ton of extra CDs every day. Which means they'll never be able to listen to all the CDs, and they'll have to start taking only ones that are solicited.
I disagree. People are too lazy to actually mail things. Sometimes I am even one of those people.
inverse speaks truth. i've run zeroartradio.com for 10 years, this year. we receive a lot of music, BUT 95% of it is from bands that aren't necessarily right for zeroartradio. it seems most blindly send out records having not even checked out who they are sending to. i spend tons of time going through message boards, blogs, connecting dots from one band to the next through association, or the same thing with labels to gather music for zero art.

it would be incredible to get most of our music sent to us from bands/musicians that aren't trying so fucking hard with the solicitation, but focusing on the actual music. as you can imagine a ton of the music is incredibly shitty and only take about a minute to figure out. sometimes you really don't even need to put the record on after you see the one-sheet or the picture of the band posing on the album cover.

a community like this is usually where i get the best music that is not genre-specific. keep it coming and of course it's free, i've been losing money on zero art for 10 years now, but i really do hope we've turned people on to music they might have never heard before.

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:17 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:Forget it. It'll take too long. Instead, just request a copy of this or find one at a newstand if you are in New York or Los Angeles.

http://cmj.com/index.html

It's the guide everyone else uses...
Jeff is absolutely my favourite human being. I can't decide what i like more about him, trying to crush an idea he's not into it or charging $35 for anything else.
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

fuller
ass engineer

radio

Post by fuller » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:40 pm

Zachzaba
gimme a little kick & snare

Miami Radio

Post by Zachzaba » Wed May 23, 2007 6:38 pm

University of Miami
WVUM 90.5
1306 Standford Dr. UC 110
Coral Gables, FL
WVUM.org

Zachzaba
gimme a little kick & snare

Genre

Post by Zachzaba » Wed May 23, 2007 6:40 pm

Sorry forgot to include that it is an indie-rock/down tempo electronica station. Still open minded to rock and jazz though.

DryCounty
buyin' a studio

Post by DryCounty » Thu May 24, 2007 6:45 am

WRIR Richmond Indie Radio
P.O. Box 4787
Richmond, VA 23220
USA

Contact page with specific music people:

http://wrir.org/x/modules/contact/
"I would imagine that the inside of a bottle of cleaning fluid is fucking clean." -Hedberg
-----
Tulsa Drone
Dry County Records ? Richmond, Virginia
twitter: drycounty