anyone in SF bay area/peninsula/silicon valley?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

cornsound
pushin' record

anyone in SF bay area/peninsula/silicon valley?

Post by cornsound » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:20 pm

just curious if there's anyone around here who may be interested in music, collaboration, recording, whatever. i've lost my way a bit and i think i have some major cobwebs that need blowing out. feel free to post here or send a message through the board. thanks.

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:27 am

I'm in San Francisco and actually about to build a new room here. What kind of stuff do you play?

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:08 pm

I reside in SF as well. There is a ton of music here - and craigslist is actually a decent place to meet bands and musicians. I am very pleased with the band that I found on craigslist - we are playing the great american tonight - come check it out!

dokushoka - where are you planning to build a room? I am always looking for a space to get my setup out of my cluttered apartment. I am an installer - we should talk!
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

cornsound
pushin' record

Post by cornsound » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:43 pm

well the last thing i recorded can be found below:

http://www.myspace.com/zardoz

(it still says san diego, but i live in the south bay now)

so along those lines i guess, though i've done lots of other things over the years, from 60's proto-punk-surf, drum & bass, avant skronk free-jazz, ambient, indie, straight up rock etc. a little bit of everything. i am mostly a bass player, but do ok on guitar (incl. baritone), drums, keys because i usually am recording all those parts by myself anyway. i finally have a great setup right now and all the gear i need, but a major kick in the ass would be a great impetus, ya know?

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:43 pm

dokushoka - where are you planning to build a room? I am always looking for a space to get my setup out of my cluttered apartment. I am an installer - we should talk!
Well its not final yet, but very close, so I don't want to give away the location QUITE yet. Let's just say that if you live in San Francisco, particularly in the Mission, you will find the location extremely convenient. The room will be very nice and should fill a big gap in the studio selection out here. Its not going to be a very large shop to start out with, but the live room will be larger than SF Soundworks'. My partner and I have focused our gear selection largely around production/mixing tools rather than the usual selection of 1 million different preamps and microphones. Our mic closet is obviously very capable, but we figure a lot of people have stuff that they like to bring in anyways. Obviously, as we grow our mic selection will increase.

What is really cool is that we'll be offering a room that people can really do some serious mixing in. We have an HD rig with 32 inputs and outputs hooked up to a 56 input analog console that is fully automated and has total reset. Its also been modified some by Jim Williams and I truly feel that its one of the best sounding mixing consoles I've ever heard (and I've spent quite a bit of time on all the usual "BIG" consoles.) People can come in and work and simply save their mixes to disk and merely have to make a few recall sheets for whatever outboard they are using.

If our desired location works out, it will also feature natural light in the control room and lounge! I don't know about you, but after years of being locked up in dark rooms, that is a big deal for me. :wink:

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:12 am

I am on the other end of the bay bridge. But I often work in SF, San Joe, and such. (by day I am a mild mannered network tech).
I had a cool project studio at Soundwave. But the impetus behind it rolled up the carpet and moved back to Alabama.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."