New Jersey?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

New Jersey?

Post by comfortstarr » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:31 am

A little after thanksgiving I and my wife will be relocating to the great state of New Jersey. To be specific, we'll be in a bucolic little burg called Maplewood.

I'm curious if there are other's on the board living in that area. I'll be wanting to find some musical collaborators. You can click the link below to hear the kind of crap... er... stuff I do.

I'm also interested in just playing a little bass/guitar and drinking a little beer in a non-ambitious band who's music I can dig.

Anyways... I look forward to getting away from DC (though I'll be sad to leave my little corner) and getting back to the NYC area (I used to live in... gasp... Williamsburg).

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:34 pm

Good luck on your move.

Mix413
buyin' gear

Post by Mix413 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:09 am

Maplewood is a nice area. Good luck with the move. NJ is a densely populated state so there are lots of musicians/bands. Run an ad on Craig's list to hook up with others. You could also look through The Aquarian Weekly newspaper which covers the music scene in the state. Good coverage of the club activity in the Aquarian.
Estudio Ensenada
Rincon, Puerto Rico
https://www.facebook.com/estudio.ensenada.PR/

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:16 am

I thought "Slippery When Wet" was the stronger Bon Jovi record, really.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Post by comfortstarr » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:23 am

dwlb wrote:I thought "Slippery When Wet" was the stronger Bon Jovi record, really.
You see... there it is! I'm going to be getting a lot of that now!

Anyways... finally closed on the house Monday. Move next Monday. Very stressful. But I keep reminding myself: I'm a cowboy... cowboy... on a steel horse I ride. I'm wanted... wanted... dead or alive.

It doesn't actually offer much comfort.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:37 pm

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&g ... &z=11&om=1

I'm about 20 miles away. I love it up here in North Jersey. Maybe we can have a pow-wow sometime. I know some other tapeoppers up this way (kentothink) as well.

Congrats on the move!
-James
HWJLHC?

SoulOfJonas
pushin' record

Post by SoulOfJonas » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:43 pm

i'm also from the nortorius North Jersey area. Lodi to be precise. You know: Bada Bings, the Misfits, Dramarama, the DMV ... that's about it really. My band and I practice in either Wayne or New Brunswick and I usually work in either Manhattan or Brooklyn. Feel free to drop me a line whenever. Good luck with your move.

-JV
John Valencia - Freelance audio-recorder-mixer guy
-One East Recording (Matt Wells)
-Melody Lanes (Jay Braun)

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:47 am

I grew up in North Jersey (haworth), now live in rockland county NY. You being central-ish jersey gives you quite good access to NYC, Philly, Shore Points, and good wine country as you head north into NY state (Warwick area).
Lots of musicians, young and old. Lots of studios (home and pro).
Personally, i am trying my hand at providing rehearsal space, in conjunction with my recording. Curiously, even with the long standing Aquarian paper and craigslist, it seems that there is not a lot of communication amongst the artistic types.... Does anyone know of happening web-boards or such catering to local musics? there's http://www.thehvscene.com/newboard/, but they're mostly dealing with Poughkeepsie and points more north....
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

wenley
takin' a dinner break

Post by wenley » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:54 am

Hey,

My bass player and co-producer in The Nu-Sonics is not too far from there. I checked out some of your stuff and dug it. Good guitar. Maybe we could get together. I'm in Fort Greene, Brooklyn, but come out to Jersey for recording and rehearsals a good bit. Check us out at myspace.com/nusonics. Good luck with the move.

Alex

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:11 pm

comfortstarr wrote:
dwlb wrote:I thought "Slippery When Wet" was the stronger Bon Jovi record, really.
You see... there it is! I'm going to be getting a lot of that now!

Anyways... finally closed on the house Monday. Move next Monday. Very stressful. But I keep reminding myself: I'm a cowboy... cowboy... on a steel horse I ride. I'm wanted... wanted... dead or alive.

It doesn't actually offer much comfort.
Glad I could start you off right. I see a talk box in your future.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/