sharkbite studios

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

drewbass
buyin' gear

sharkbite studios

Post by drewbass » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:05 pm

just wanted to say i had an excellent day of tracking at sharkbite studios with adam.

i would highly recommend the place. talk to ryan (owner) or adam- equally nice people.

http://www.sharkbitestudios.com/index.php?CID=3

i took home the tracks tonight and i did a basic mix just to listen and it all sounds beautiful. especially the drums, which is what i was hoping for.

adam was super professional, there were no gear problems (save a g5 hiccup), no unnecessary gratuitous comments or vibe.

huge mic selection, lots of high end outboard and a trident board with a pedigree. i saw a 2 inch tape machine (i didn't use it, i used the pt hd system).

neither of these guys know i'm posting this. i wasn't paid to do so, nor do i get kickbacks.

drew

ledogboy
pushin' record

Post by ledogboy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:12 pm

Wow Drew,
I'm blushing. Glad you had a good day at the joint. I'll be there hanging out next time- I'm still getting over this damn cold I got on tour. Cheers,
Ryan

Milkmansound
george martin

Post by Milkmansound » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:44 pm

Ryan was the first person to reach out to me when I moved out here - he is an excellent guy!

Drew - next time you are in town drop me a line! I need to go over to oakland and get my crap out of there anyway, might as well say hi and catch up.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))))
www.pedalsteelamp.com
www.milkmansound.com
Follow me on Facebook!

drewbass
buyin' gear

Post by drewbass » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:28 pm

that sounds like a plan. let me know when you come over to this side to get more of your stuff.
drew

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:43 pm

I have a date scheduled with Adam at Sharkbite in early December (first time working with them) that I was already looking forward to so this is great to hear.

Found Adam and Ryan through this board following a posting I did looking for someone to service some repeat clients of mine while my own studio was being rebuilt. They've been super-friendly and very TapeOp all-around.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:22 am

BUMP!!!

Okay, post-session now...nothing but coolness at my first Sharkbite session which was also my first time freelancing as an engineer outside my own home studio.

Adam was most helpful in showing me the ropes and basically "making me" do all the patching, running of cables, console knob twiddling, and ProTools operation. Which was what I had asked him to do so that I could learn my way around the place. But also he was an excellent safety net and first/second engineer whenever I got lost, and a lot of fun to hang with and crack jokes with.
Things I liked best about Sharkbite:

1.) the live room has a great sound not only for drums but also for vocals where you get just a touch of natural reverb that sounds very elegant and helps the vox fit in the mix without being overwhelming or boxy.

2.) The EQ on the trident was very musical and yet surgical. The layout of the EQ was very new to me and I think I just scratched the surface of what it can do.

3.) Nice mic locker and I was introduced to some sweet ones I'd not heard before.

4.) The tracks still sounded great and balanced when I brought them home and started working with them on my own system.

About 3/4 through the session Adam lays the console's "pedigree" on me that was mentioned earlier in this thread: This VERY SAME CONSOLE was used to record Steely Dan's Aja AND (apparently, undocumentedly) mix The Wall on...HOLY F***ING S**T!

I was infinitely more careful about not peeing directly on the console after that.
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com