What to see in Nashville?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Smitty
tinnitus

What to see in Nashville?

Post by Smitty » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:26 pm

my girl and I are headed to Nashville soon for a brief weekend getaway. I've been there before, but only to play shows, and I'd be interested to know whats worth seeing from a recording-interest point of view.

any ideas?
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:25 pm

Don't know if you're a guitar fan, but Gruhn's Guitars is awesome.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:13 pm

Pig out at Loveless.

http://www.lovelesscafe.com/

Country Music Hall of Fame has cool guitars (and cars!) of the stars...

http://www.countrymusichalloffame.com/s ... -plan.aspx

And, of course, Studio B.

http://www.sneakpeekbrochures.com/cmhof/

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:39 pm

those are all excellent suggestions. especially Loveless! can't wait to eat there. thanks!

i'd really love to see Blackbird, but i doubt they have it set up for wet behind the ears amateur recordists from ohio to take tours and drool...
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:01 pm

Pawn shops :lol:

But seriously, you can pick up some good stuff in that area.
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:25 pm

aitikin wrote:Pawn shops :lol:

any good ones in particular? i can get away with some of this stuff, but i have to be selective... my girlfriend is muey-awesome, but isn't going to sign on to a cross-city marathon gear (of which, apparently, i already have enough :D ) hunt.

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:43 pm

Smitty wrote:
aitikin wrote:Pawn shops :lol:

any good ones in particular? i can get away with some of this stuff, but i have to be selective... my girlfriend is muey-awesome, but isn't going to sign on to a cross-city marathon gear (of which, apparently, i already have enough :D ) hunt.
When doesn't your girlfriend think you have enough gear? Hell, my roommates think I have a gear buying problem or I'm involved in major drug trafficking. Either way, it's bad news.

Unfortunately though, to get more to the point, I haven't been in that area since before my...problem, so I can't give you any advice. Sorry.
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

SeventhCircle
gettin' sounds

Post by SeventhCircle » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:10 pm

More good eatin': http://monellsdining.ypguides.net/ I know Michael Wagener digs it. Speaking of, you might be able to drop in on a workshop at his studio in Mt. Juliet, check them out here: http://michaelwagener.com/index.html

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:08 am

Smitty wrote:i'd really love to see Blackbird, but i doubt they have it set up for wet behind the ears amateur recordists from ohio to take tours and drool...
Yeah, they're understandably careful with people coming in off the street to tour.

If you want the tourist type of stuff, take a walk down Broadway and 2nd ave, or head over to Printer's Alley (halfway between 3rd and 4th ave downtown) and check out some of the country karaoke bars. It's all worth seeing once.

I've been here almost 5 years, and I really don't know where the so-called "happening" spots are. I usually hit up the indie scenester dive bars/clubs when I do go out, which is maybe once every couple months, and usually to see touring bands from out of town.

As far as buying gear goes, I guess you used to be able to pick up good stuff on the cheap if you knew where to look, but that stuff almost always ends up on craigslist now. Pawnshops just aren't as well stocked as they used to be.

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:58 am

I spent a two weeks in Nashville mixing a record a few years ago. Coming from Canada I only knew the Nashville stereotype. I expected cowboy hats and hicks. I also expected to hate it. I was wrong on both counts. It's a very cool city full of very cool & friendly people. I had such a great time.

Here are a few of my favorite spots -

Arnold's Country Kitchen
605 Eigth Ave S
Nashville, TN 37203-4102
Phone: (615) 256-4455

A really great meat and three. Arnolds takes the extra large American portion to the next level. More food than you could ever eat, but it's all so good.

Mr Mark's Used Music Store
www.mrmarksmusic.com
718 6th Ave S
Nashville, TN 37203
(615) 242-2907
Mr. Mark's seems more like a room piled with junk than a music store. It's a mess but there are some goodies in there if you're willing to dig for them.

Grimey's New & Preloved Music
http://www.grimeys.com/hours.html
A kick ass record store.

Rotier's Restaraunt
http://www.rotiers.com/
Rotiers is a cool old diner/bar on Elliston Place (near Vanderbilt). Rotiers became my kitchen on my visit to Nashville. It was across the street from my hotel. Good food, cheap drinks, good people.

Also check the music listings for shows. A ton of great acts came through town while I was there. I saw John Hiatt play an outdoor gig on the back of a flatbed truck. Admission was $5 and included fried chicken!

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:03 am

Oh, and Hatch Show Print.

aghaller8
pluggin' in mics

Post by aghaller8 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:05 pm

+1 on Grimey's, maybe even see who playing at the basement, I missed Marc Ribot there a few weeks ago (damnit)

Check out Primal Gear, think they have a website

Nashville used music on Nolensville, take 2nd ave. S. past taco stand.

Frist art museum

Flying Saucer- for beer.
Time held me green and dying though I sang in my chains like the sea.
-Dylan Thomas

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:18 pm

aghaller8 wrote: Nashville used music on Nolensville, take 2nd ave. S. past taco stand.
I live about a mile from there. There are no less than 10 taco stands in that general vicinity. I've tried them all and they're all about the same. The better ones will give you a grilled jalapeno with your tacos.

Also, go to the Flying Saucer first to take the edge off, and then walk across the street to the Frist, and then walk back over to the Saucer to finish off your evening of art and beer.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:26 pm

you all seem to have excellent (i.e. similar to my own :D ) taste. i will be sure to check that out, thanks!

aghaller8
pluggin' in mics

Post by aghaller8 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:04 pm

I live about a mile from there. There are no less than 10 taco stands in that general vicinity. I've tried them all and they're all about the same. The better ones will give you a grilled jalapeno with your tacos.
Haha. I'm not all that opposed to illegals, as long as they bring with them tacos.
Time held me green and dying though I sang in my chains like the sea.
-Dylan Thomas