Potluck Con, any thoughts?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

matta
alignin' 24-trk

Potluck Con, any thoughts?

Post by matta » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:01 pm

Hey Guys,

This isn't strictly gear talk related, though I'm sure the topic of gear comes up as part of everyday conversation but....

I'm seriously considering making the journey over for the inaugural Potluck Con this year in NOLA. I've read many a great thing about the previous years of TapeOp Con and always sworn one day I'd make it over.

I know it might be a little premature (though it is a day or 2 over 3 months away) but whose going?

Anyone from outside of the US planning on making the journey (you could say I'm a LITTLE outside of the US being in Africa!). Any thoughts, hints, tips or comments from previous attendees?

Thanks

Matt
Matt Allison
Mad Scientist
www.ashtonaudio.com

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:13 pm

never been to tape op con
but I grew up in New Orleans.
do:
go to Cafe Du Monde for beignets
go to Cajun Coffe Pot for breakfast or lunch at least once.
get an oyster poboy.
go to the tip top or Checkpoint Charlies
get a muffaleta

Dont:
keep your wallet in your back pocket
get falling down drunk in the french quarter
pronounce New Orleans to rhyme with jeans and beans. Pronounce it to rhyme with contact lense and mercedes benz.
try to score drugs
talk back to cops
talk back to anyone of obvious sicilian heritage
whip out a map if you are lost.

The crime isnt really that bad, just dont be falling down drunk at 3am with your wallet in your back pocket. While looking for drugs. Then talk crap to a cop after a sicilian guy mugs you.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:23 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:never been to tape op con
but I grew up in New Orleans.
do:
go to Cafe Du Monde for beignets
go to Cajun Coffe Pot for breakfast or lunch at least once.
get an oyster poboy.
go to the tip top or Checkpoint Charlies
get a muffaleta

Dont:
keep your wallet in your back pocket
get falling down drunk in the french quarter
pronounce New Orleans to rhyme with jeans and beans. Pronounce it to rhyme with contact lense and mercedes benz.
try to score drugs
talk back to cops
talk back to anyone of obvious sicilian heritage
whip out a map if you are lost.

The crime isnt really that bad, just dont be falling down drunk at 3am with your wallet in your back pocket. While looking for drugs. Then talk crap to a cop after a sicilian guy mugs you.
sounds like sound advice for anyone in any city...

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:06 pm

N.O. is a nice place full of friendly people. But it also has a whole subculture of folks that prey on tourists. The cops can be real dicks. Even if you live there. And uh, ther are a lot of "family" owned businesses.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:02 pm

Wow, I didn't know it was in New Orleans, my sister is starting a six month internship there at the end of this month so I'd have a free place to crash. How much is it to attend?
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

matta
alignin' 24-trk

Post by matta » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:31 pm

calaverasgrandes,

Thanks for the advice. I'm not too worried as I live in the 2nd most violent country per capita in the world (not a stat I'm proud of!) which tends to breed 'street smarts'... the police scare me more. A friend of mine WAS walking the streets after a gig one night in NOLA and was arrested for being an aledged male prostitute :?
How much is it to attend?
Well I think till the end of the month they have special rate of $295.00 for the 3-day conference... I can't quite make out if that includes meals? Anyone know from previous experience at TapeOp Con? The details are here: http://www.potluckcon.com

Anyone else heading out that way? Just seems awfully quiet in these parts and it seems I'm the first to bring up the subject and it is 3 months away...

Cheers

Matt
Matt Allison
Mad Scientist
www.ashtonaudio.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:08 pm

calaverasgrandes wrote:go to the tip top or Checkpoint Charlies
I was lucky enought to see Buzzov*en two nights in a row at Checkpoint Charlies, like 11 years ago at Mardi Gras.

pwrb
gettin' sounds

Post by pwrb » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:57 pm

I'll be going. My band will be playing, along with the Tim Lee 3, at the closing party at Rock and Bowl (www.rockandbowl.com) on Sunday night. Looking forward to it. From what I gathered from Craig, there's been a few logistical hurdles, but the intention is for PotluckCon to pick up where TapeOpCon left off.
-Pete

www.weissy.com
www.weisstronauts.com
New Weisstronauts song/video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=15U7A4LE_Tk

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:23 pm

pwrb wrote:the Tim Lee 3
I saw them open for Mitch Easter - really good stuff.

I'm a-goin' to the Con this year...it'll be my first year going, and I'm stoked.

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:45 am

trodden wrote:
I was lucky enought to see Buzzov*en two nights in a row at Checkpoint Charlies, like 11 years ago at Mardi Gras.
11 years ago, that might have been long enough ago that they werent yet destroyed by smack. But I am sure they were drunk as hell. I did suond for them a few times and was always amazed at how slaughtered drunk their guitarist (Kirk? Kurt?) could get and still play resonably well.
I even saw him knock himself out once breaking a bottle over his head.

Rock and Bowl, over on Carolton. Dont wander far, thats a dicey area at night sometimes.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:09 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:
trodden wrote:
11 years ago, that might have been long enough ago that they werent yet destroyed by smack. But I am sure they were drunk as hell. I did suond for them a few times and was always amazed at how slaughtered drunk their guitarist (Kirk? Kurt?) could get and still play resonably well.
I even saw him knock himself out once breaking a bottle over his head.

Rock and Bowl, over on Carolton. Dont wander far, thats a dicey area at night sometimes.
dude, totally.. the man is an animal. alot of blood, sweat and beers at that show... i think he was bleeding from the face/head each night.

I think the hard drug abuse was on and off throughout the band's lifetime. Such an awesome band though. "SORE" will always be one of my all time favorite records.

Rob Christensen
gettin' sounds

Post by Rob Christensen » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:08 am

matta wrote: Well I think till the end of the month they have special rate of $295.00 for the 3-day conference... I can't quite make out if that includes meals? Anyone know from previous experience at TapeOp Con? The details are here: http://www.potluckcon.com
Hi Matt -

Unless something really changes, meals won't be included in the rate. One or two lunches might be provided by a sponsor; otherwise look forward to exploring the wonderful NOLA cuisine. There'll be no shortage of great food options.

Hope to see you there!

Rob

calaverasgrandes

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:26 am

yeah, of all my friends that still live in NOLA tell me, the restaurant industry is the least hard hit. Sure a few will always go under, thats standard turnover. But there are still plenty of poboy places and cajun-creole joints. honestly, you gotta get out the quarter to get any real food or music.
Try an make it doen to Frenchmen st and check out the Praline Connection along with the other restaurants and nightclubs over on theother sie of Esplanade. But, yeah dont go alone.
I'll try and get back with a list of places to eat at that are still around. Last time I was there was just after Katrina to move my mom out.
Shoot, I wish I could afford to swing down there for that. I am either busy or broke for the next few months though.

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

looking forward

Post by supafuzz » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:19 pm

I'm looking forward to breakfast of eggs and alligator sausage at the Tally Ho!
Greezy goodness I guarantee.

http://www.zerovillerecording.com
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:05 am

pwrb wrote:I'll be going. My band will be playing, along with the Tim Lee 3, at the closing party at Rock and Bowl (www.rockandbowl.com) on Sunday night. Looking forward to it. From what I gathered from Craig, there's been a few logistical hurdles, but the intention is for PotluckCon to pick up where TapeOpCon left off.
-Pete

www.weissy.com
www.weisstronauts.com
New Weisstronauts song/video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=15U7A4LE_Tk
This is so cool. i can't wait to see the weistronauts! My band played with Tim lee and Mitch Easter in the fall and it was great.

I'll see you all in NOLA.