moving to Chicago, any advice?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

theBaldfather
takin' a dinner break

moving to Chicago, any advice?

Post by theBaldfather » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:55 am

I'm getting married and moving to Chicago in june for at least the summer, while my fiance works doing neuroscience research at northwestern. I have my studio set up to be a very decent mobile rig, so I might just travel to bands to do projects, (I have a great base in ohio/kentucky/indiana) but I'd love to look into any opportunities there would be in the city as well. Does anyone have advice or hookups for any audio related work in the downtown area?
@studioquotes "producer: turn the gain up just a tad" "guitarist: is that the same as volume?" "Producer: actually the last take was great!"

jonathan
takin' a dinner break

Post by jonathan » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:28 pm

i live and work in chicago.
i have for years...

i work at some places-
i feel like most everyone is freelance for the most part-
youll probably just need to find your own work (which is always, 'fun')

um- if y'all want to meet up and have some ridiculous talks about the area- im able

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:14 pm

Actually, we should have a Chicago TOMB meet-up sometime.

Maybe a grand opening open house at Marshall's new studio!
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:07 pm

good idea - if we want to have a show and tell - i'm only like 4 blocks from marshall's place - it'd be like a pub crawl for studios.

agree w/lots of freelancers. i'd flyer the major practice spaces [superior st. / wright on carrol] offering quick demo work in thier space. that'd be a good way to get in the door with bands. most sorta more established bands i know in town sorta have relationships with engineers/studios and kinda stick with them.

i'd be way more inclined to have some new person to town i didn't know just do a preproduction demo for me than commit to something i was intending on releasing. [no diss on your abilities at all - you're just new to town] then once you do a great job, maybe you can score further work.

those 2 spaces alone probably host a couple hundred bands.

theBaldfather
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBaldfather » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:56 am

I'm down for all those ideas! I'll post again when I get a bit closer to moving!
@studioquotes "producer: turn the gain up just a tad" "guitarist: is that the same as volume?" "Producer: actually the last take was great!"

jonathan
takin' a dinner break

Post by jonathan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:29 pm

marshalls space fucking rules.

im down for all the above

ericblam
pluggin' in mics

Post by ericblam » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:30 pm

beer & gear......sounds like a great evening!!

eric
www.recordtheworld.com
www.myspace.com/radiom

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:27 pm

why don't we make it an EARS meeting? maybe I can talk to Kerry and make it happen.

...you guys know about EARS, right? pretty damn fun. audio nerd-a-palooza.

personally, I think Chicago's got lots of great and amazingly creative engineers...but not enough places to be creative in. the studios, besides all the gear, there weren't really lots of special places. maybe that's just me. then again, i've only seen websites of most of the studios. so, really, I don't know. kinda.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:34 pm

An EARS meeting would be fine; I haven't been to one of those in years...

who was it that was building in the old Dam! space? I liked that studio. EDIT: oh yeah. Audionaut. Found it. (I UTFSF!)
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

channelcat
takin' a dinner break

Post by channelcat » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:31 am

I'm in. If it's show & tell, I could bring my lunchbox w/ Eisen pres and LILPEQrs, zerotronics MINI-LE, and Mercenary-modded 57. If it's just beers, we could meet at Rock Bottom Brewery again; that worked out pretty well last time.

Stu
Fearless Vampire Killer

http://www.stereophonicstudios.com

audionaut
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by audionaut » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:00 pm

dwlb wrote:An EARS meeting would be fine; I haven't been to one of those in years...

who was it that was building in the old Dam! space? I liked that studio. EDIT: oh yeah. Audionaut. Found it. (I UTFSF!)
Never say Never... I'm not running the show at the old DAM space any more, but I recently dropped by to do some mixing. One of the rooms is mostly done. I spoke to Kerry (about 5 months ago) about having an EARS meeting threre when things were further along. I'm sure the owner wouldn't mind a chance to show the rooms to some local engineers...
I'll look into it, but I'm guessing that the space won't be up for it until Late May at the earliest.

:D

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Mon May 05, 2008 10:04 am

Stay to the north. And try eating at five faces.

theBaldfather
takin' a dinner break

Post by theBaldfather » Mon May 05, 2008 2:44 pm

Thanks for the replies. I just got an apt in lincoln park at roslyn and clark! If anyone is close by I'd love to stop in and say hi. I'm out through tomorrow and then i'm going back to dayton for a month to finish up some projects. I'd love to see any spaces and get any wisdom I can from you guys :-).