Baltimore

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

aghaller8
pluggin' in mics

Baltimore

Post by aghaller8 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:47 pm

I took a position teaching Inner City Youth in Baltimore, and now I'm looking for a place. Anybody know what neighborhoods are decent (won't get shot), cheap, and cool, but not Rolling Stone kinda cool? I've heard good things about Upper Fells Point, Hampden, Penn Station, but you can never be sure.

Any suggestions?

Any cool open mic type venues for avant singer-songwriter stuff?

Thanks.

Adam
Time held me green and dying though I sang in my chains like the sea.
-Dylan Thomas

freakmech
alignin' 24-trk

Post by freakmech » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:36 pm

Hampden is cool+++ though kinda white trash in areas, but thats B-more
Lower Fells and Little Italy are are cool, and further back behind are cheap though can get hispano ghetto.

Venues: pick up a City Paper, good stuff and lots of info on venues, Talking Head and Ottobar are the two places i go to see shows the most, 8X10 is OK
Friends dont let friends buy when they can build!

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:56 am

Charles Village is nice, but it's hit or miss. Been turning in to student housing ghetto over the past few years.

Just north of Fells Point is Butcher's Hill (and Washington Hill). We love it there. It's a small neighborhood but the housing is great. And very dog friendly not to mention blocks from Patterson Park. (http://www.pattersonpark.com/)

What is your budget? And what amenities did you need?

PS. This has a list of all the Bmore hoods: http://www.livebaltimore.com/nb/list/

nordberg
pushin' record

Post by nordberg » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:37 am

umm...my band's playing at sonar on the 27th!

austin
takin' a dinner break

Post by austin » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:50 am

I love living in Hampden -- though it's not as cheap as it used to be.

I have a few friends who live in the neighborhoods immediately adjacent to Charles Village (Waverly and Remington) -- both cheaper and less overrun with Johns Hopkins students, but still relatively safe and close to a lot of stuff. Waverly has a good record/bookstore called Normals, Remington has a pretty good rock club called the Ottobar.

I can't think of an open mic in the city...

junomat
re-cappin' neve

Post by junomat » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:18 pm

And be sure to check out Austin's band Private Eleanor. They are splendid.

http://www.privateeleanor.com/

aghaller8
pluggin' in mics

Post by aghaller8 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:30 pm

Thanks a lot guys.

Austin- digging the tunes man, I'll have to check you out when I get situated.

Mobtown- Nice studio. When I scratch together the tunes, I'd like to lay something down, especially if I'm in the neighborhood and all. I'll be in touch.

Patterson Park area looks great, close enough to JHU, but not too close.

If I can find a nice place for 700, I'd be content. Seems alot of one bedroom places are going for the same as two BR, go figure. As far as amenities: basic cable, internet, and the usual, nothing too fancy. I have family up there so, I can take my time finding a nice place, a luxury.

Thanks again. Looking forward to being up there.

If you got a minute, check out a video with David Simon called 'My Baltimore,' funny shit.
Time held me green and dying though I sang in my chains like the sea.
-Dylan Thomas

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:35 am

Where are you teaching? If you're downtown or along the central axis of the city, living near light rail might make sense. Hampden/Medfield/Remington, Mt. Washington (pricier).

Keep in mind Patterson Park is near Hopkins Hospital, not the university, if that fits into your plan at all. There's a shutttle connecting the two, but they're in different parts of the city.

There might be some cheap apartments in lower Charles Village/the "Arts District". As far as open mikes, there a lots, none of them particularly hip. I think Ottobar has an open mic that might be geared more towards bands.

Besides Talking Head and Ottobar, Lo-Fi Social Club seems to be in the indie vein. And there are restaurants/bars that book bands without being a full on music venue.