Places to play; Cin, Bloomington, Evansville, Columbus etc.

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Places to play; Cin, Bloomington, Evansville, Columbus etc.

Post by T-rex » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:14 pm

Hey all,

My band is releasing our Cd soon and are looking to start playing the cities around Louisville KY. It's been a while since I toured around and am looking for suggestions on places to play in the above cities or hoping to maybe hook up with some bands to play with and trade shows etc.

the songs are at:
www.myspace.com/deermeet

All suggestions welcome!
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:37 am

Bloomington IL try
Paulies
myspace.com.paulieslive

or NV Ultra Lounge (actuallyin Normal)

Bloomington IN try
the Bluebird

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:11 am

In Cinci:
There are a couple of good fits for you. I'd try for The Northside Tavern. If you're trying to break into this market, its a good place to start. Big, diverse built-in crowd and they will garauntee a little bit of money. But, there's no cover and you're just going to make what you make money-wise. And right now the PA situation is a little DIY (there's no house engineer). And there's no stage right now. I know you're thinking that this place sounds like a mess, but I've played there with a few different groups (jazz, rock, and hip-hop) and its one of the best venues in the city. Bands like Wussy and Heartless Bastards play there on a semi-regular basis. If its good enough for Chuck Cleaver, its good enough for the rest of us.
After that, there's either the Comet or the Gyspsy Hut. I'd look at these after a gig or two at the Northside. The Comet is a bit harder to get into, and I'm not sure you're going to want to do Gyspy Hut unless you can bring some people in.
You might want to look at Mad Hatter in Covington and the Southgate House in Newport.

PS-Is the Backstage Cafe still open down there?
Prog out with your cog out.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:13 am

drumsound wrote: Bloomington IN try
the Bluebird
Oh man, the Bird is still open? The Vogue thinks that place is old.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:23 am

PM me about columbus... dig the sounds and think my band would be a pretty good match. let's try to set something up!
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

curtiswyant
re-cappin' neve

Post by curtiswyant » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:51 am

The Bluebird in Bloomington, IN is good. Also check out Uncle Fester's. These are more "townie" bars as opposed to the douchebag frat-boy bars :wink:

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:17 am

curtiswyant wrote:The Bluebird in Bloomington, IN is good. Also check out Uncle Fester's. These are more "townie" bars as opposed to the douchebag frat-boy bars :wink:
50-cent beer night at the Bird must have changed a lot, then.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:42 am

Man thanks for all the replies! I had been away from the board for a day or two and tons of great replies.

Smitty I pm'd you!

markmeat
pushin' record

Post by markmeat » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:55 am

I run an original music night on Sundays in Evansville, IN... it's called Punk Rock Night, but it's just a label that affilates us with the other PRN's in Indiana... we love ALL ORIGINAL MUSIC!!!

hit up our myspace: www.myspace.com/prnevansville

MEAT
"Every fight is a food fight when you're a cannibal!"

http://thedeadlivers.bandcamp.com

yardleyone
steve albini likes it

Post by yardleyone » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:54 am

Here's some suggestions:

Cincy: Northside is indeed great as is the Comet.

Bloomington IN: If you can't get in the Bird try Uncles Festers or Cinemat. Some cool shows are going at Cinemat these days.

Evansville: The Duck Inn.

St. Louis: I know you didn't ask for this but if your headed towards Evansville on a Friday St. Louis can be a good Saturday stop. There is a bar called Lemmon's thats a good place to get your foot in the door. Talk to Todd or Melinda.

Columbus: I think Andyman's Treehouse is the place to get in. I think Kyle from the Kyle Sowashes books it. They have a myspace.
all the bad leaves fall on cake for heaven's sake

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:24 am

Thanks Markmeat,

I will hit you up at myspace.

Thanks yardleyone, hey I was the drummer in Carolina. We played a few shows with you guys about two years back. I didn't realize you were on the tape op board. Hit me up if you ever want to talk shop recording wise etc.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:07 pm

If you are coming to Cincy in late May/June/July hit me up with a PM. I'll be playing shows with my girlfriend's band, Slant, during that time before heading back to the Nashville area.

Maybe we, you, and smitty's band can all play a show together somewhere.

In Cincinnati check out The Northside Tavern, The Comet, Gypsy Hut, Baba Budens (if they still have shows), The Southgate House (harder to book, but great venue), The Mad Hatter, the Poison Room...that's about all I can think of for clubs that are still open.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Thu May 01, 2008 7:42 pm

minorleagues wrote:Baba Budan's (if they still have shows)
Great location (right by the University of Cincinnati), but a very small stage. And you might have to bring your own PA.

caffiend2049
alignin' 24-trk

Post by caffiend2049 » Tue May 27, 2008 10:06 pm

superaction80 wrote:In Cinci:
There are a couple of good fits for you. I'd try for The Northside Tavern. If you're trying to break into this market, its a good place to start. Big, diverse built-in crowd and they will garauntee a little bit of money. But, there's no cover and you're just going to make what you make money-wise. And right now the PA situation is a little DIY (there's no house engineer). And there's no stage right now. I know you're thinking that this place sounds like a mess, but I've played there with a few different groups (jazz, rock, and hip-hop) and its one of the best venues in the city. Bands like Wussy and Heartless Bastards play there on a semi-regular basis. If its good enough for Chuck Cleaver, its good enough for the rest of us.
After that, there's either the Comet or the Gyspsy Hut. I'd look at these after a gig or two at the Northside. The Comet is a bit harder to get into, and I'm not sure you're going to want to do Gyspy Hut unless you can bring some people in.
You might want to look at Mad Hatter in Covington and the Southgate House in Newport.
That sounds right.....
www.cincymusic.com can provide links to the venues in town.
Also, it's much easier to book the Tavern and the Comet if you hook up with a local act. They are both essentially neighborhood bars, but tend to have a decent built in crowd.
bigger and better....sooner than later

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed May 28, 2008 7:53 am

thanks for the tip and the link Caffiend2049!

If you know any cincy bands who might be a good fit please send me their way. We have been doing the myspace thing trying to hook up with bands etc, but Tape Op has already been much more helpful (as I thought it might be!) i will check out the cincy link and see what I can find on there.

thanks again everyone.