Cheap Places to stay in San Francisco

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Esmo
takin' a dinner break

Cheap Places to stay in San Francisco

Post by Esmo » Tue May 13, 2008 9:00 am

Hi, I am heading down to san francisco this weekend I am looking for somwhere cheap to stay. The more reputable hostels are booked, so I am not too sure where else to look. Any suggestions. Its just me and my girlfriend and we are not too picky. Close to public trans would be nice too.

Thanks
Dylan

rydaken
pushin' record

Re: Cheap Places to stay in San Francisco

Post by rydaken » Tue May 13, 2008 9:50 am

Esmo wrote:Hi, I am heading down to san francisco this weekend I am looking for somwhere cheap to stay. The more reputable hostels are booked, so I am not too sure where else to look. Any suggestions. Its just me and my girlfriend and we are not too picky. Close to public trans would be nice too.

Thanks
Dylan
Try Twin Peaks in the Castro. A cheap place to lay your head. Not a great place, but it's safe. Bathroom is down the hall, sinks are in your room. Old building with neat character. Try to get a room facing Market (I think those have the bathroom in the room and a better view).
Twin Peaks Info

mangoose
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mangoose » Tue May 13, 2008 12:18 pm

or try the Dakota Hotel, on Post st. a couple of blocks from Union Sq. and a BART station. fairly cheap, private rooms with private baths. Old building though, and the beds aren't pillow top hehe. but it's cheap and centrally located.

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Tue May 13, 2008 2:32 pm

hayes valley inn on Gough
http://www.yelp.com/biz/hayes-valley-in ... 0breakfast

the red victorian on haight st

The metro on Divisadero...

search Yelp.. lots of good reviews.

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Tue May 13, 2008 3:36 pm

I like the Hotel Maxwell on Geary, near Union Square, walking distance to the dive bars around the Edinburgh Castle. About $100/night IIRC.

Alex Netick
takin' a dinner break

Post by Alex Netick » Tue May 13, 2008 10:00 pm

If it's "cheap," and it's in San Francisco, I wouldn't want to stay there. I'd probably go 10 or 15 miles away -- maybe Emeryville or Daly City.

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Wed May 14, 2008 12:21 am

Alex Netick wrote:If it's "cheap," and it's in San Francisco, I wouldn't want to stay there. I'd probably go 10 or 15 miles away -- maybe Emeryville or Daly City.
ah the thrill and lurid temptations of suburbia...

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed May 14, 2008 7:47 am

***Massive Edit***

Many neighborhoods around the "touristy" section of SF are pretty sketchy.

Do a little research before you commit based on price alone!

Enjoy yourself,
Last edited by fossiltooth on Wed May 14, 2008 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Esmo
takin' a dinner break

Post by Esmo » Wed May 14, 2008 8:52 am

I think I am going to aim for a hostel. Seem to be around 25 or so with breakfast which sounds about right for me.

thanks for the tips

d

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Wed May 14, 2008 9:39 am

fossiltooth wrote:***Massive Edit***

Many neighborhoods around the "touristy" section of SF are pretty sketchy.

Do a little research before you commit based on price alone!

Enjoy yourself,
+1

First couple years my parents came to visit, I ended up walking 'em through streetwalkers, a near-purse snatching, etc.

It's a very safe city except in pockets, but you gotta know the pockets --e.g., the area north of Civic Center BART station downtown can be very sketchy.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

sfsonarboy
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by sfsonarboy » Wed May 14, 2008 10:14 am

Broadway Manor Inn (Van Ness and Broadway) is nothing fancy, but relatively cheap, central, and safe neighborhood. Free parking is a nice touch. http://www.broadwaymanor.com/. Agree with others that Yelp is a good local resource. Further to the "touristy" comments - areas like Fisherman's Warf will be pretty safe, but expensive; I'd be careful with listings for "Union Square" or "Downtown" as these can go from very nice to very sketchy in just a few block. I'd avoid "Civic Center" locations.

HTH,

Steve E.

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Wed May 14, 2008 1:13 pm

I just walked past the Hayes Valley Inn on my way to the studio today..
Great neighborhood, cute little B&B and it says prices from 65 - 99 a night, which is an amazing deal for such a cool neighborhood...

There are sketchy spots in the tenderloin and if it's a "hotel" they probably are sucky... but the B&B's in some of the good neighborhoods can be cool and not too expensive.

And +1 on twin peaks hotel too... on market street in the castro. Nothing fancy at all, but again, cool neighborhood...