Another "where to live" thread

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Mon May 26, 2008 12:10 pm

sonichue wrote:how hard is it to 'go canadian'?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/citizenship/become.asp

caffiend2049
alignin' 24-trk

Post by caffiend2049 » Tue May 27, 2008 9:51 pm

Cincinnati has a robust and diverse music scene and real estate is ridiculously cheap.
It would probably be a shock to the system - but there is plenty to do and you can be in the middle of nowhere in about 30 minutes drive.
bigger and better....sooner than later

xgatx
audio school

Post by xgatx » Wed May 28, 2008 2:43 pm

weatherbox wrote:Never lived in Chicago but used to have to go there a bit for work. My impressions based on that and a vacation-time trip I took there led me to think it's pretty awesome.
Chicago is a great city for music. Lots of venues to see/play music, and they have increasingly become more excepting of a variety of genres in recent years.

I grew up in Wisconsin, so the cold doesn't bother me. Chicago is pretty clean, has lots of parks/green areas and the lake, and public transit is pretty good (some funding issues lately, and an accident here and there). The City of Chicago has the highest sales tax in the US (9.25%) and more taxes in general (gas, property, etc.). However, the cost of living is more reasonable than SF or NYC.

Alex Netick
takin' a dinner break

Post by Alex Netick » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:04 pm

I'd hate to go to another version of the Bay Area, which has become a big overcrowded, sprawling toilet with a few overpriced nice areas. I'm looking at small towns like Eugene, Bend, or mabye a smaller city like Boise or Portland.
xgatx wrote:
weatherbox wrote:Never lived in Chicago but used to have to go there a bit for work. My impressions based on that and a vacation-time trip I took there led me to think it's pretty awesome.
Chicago is a great city for music. Lots of venues to see/play music, and they have increasingly become more excepting of a variety of genres in recent years.

I grew up in Wisconsin, so the cold doesn't bother me. Chicago is pretty clean, has lots of parks/green areas and the lake, and public transit is pretty good (some funding issues lately, and an accident here and there). The City of Chicago has the highest sales tax in the US (9.25%) and more taxes in general (gas, property, etc.). However, the cost of living is more reasonable than SF or NYC.