Looking for an Electrical Engineering Position

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Skrasms
gettin' sounds

Looking for an Electrical Engineering Position

Post by Skrasms » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:44 pm

I graduated this past May with a BSEE degree from Purdue University. My passions are audio specifically and signal processing in general. Finding a position for a recent graduate in either of these fields has not been easy. I imagine a lot of it is the state of the economy, and the way industries themselves are changing right now. At any rate, I am not giving up.

I have done well scholastically, participated in student radio as an engineer, and kept up with my own audio projects outside of classes. I took courses in both analog and digital signal processing, even reaching elliptic filter design methods. Additionally, I am semi-fluent in Japanese from six years of study and one year abroad.

My track record is fine, my only weakness is a lack of professional experience in the field. It is a catch-22 trying to find a job to get experience when experience is needed to get a job. If anyone knows of any positions available in the field of signal processing, or has any advice, I would be extremely grateful. I have no problem moving out of Indiana.

My resume can be found at http://www.skrasoft.com/AaronFaulstich.pdf

Thank you for your time and support!

johnbegone
studio intern

Post by johnbegone » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:24 pm

I know that Shure is hiring electrical engineers. As an audio engineer, I wish I could get a job there as its about 10 minutes from my apartment, but the only positions they have are out of my area of expertise, maybe its something more down your alley.

http://www.shure.com/Corporate/Careers/index.htm

newfuturevintage
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by newfuturevintage » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:26 pm

around here, Dolby are usually looking for folks with EE degrees. Also a good amount of places in silicon valley too. Check with monster.com

Skrasms
gettin' sounds

Post by Skrasms » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:17 pm

Thanks for the responses :)

I've been checking with Shure every once in a while, but I never thought about Dolby. I will definitely look into that.

markitzero
pushin' record

Post by markitzero » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:07 am

Eventide is always looking for EEs. I think they're in New Jersey.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:19 am

Harmon International used to have some research and manufacturing facilities in and around South Bend. They'd be o.k. to look into if you don't mind being part of the stomach that gobbled many other small audio companies.

I know you don't want this, but the steel industry is looking for EE's. You could make some decent money (like $50-60k/year or so) while you develop a bit of experience and look for a job that's more up your alley. Won't be no audio work for the steel business. Lotsa DA/AD signal processing, code writing, and Level 1/Level 2 computer work to be had though. Plus you can get real dirty working on huge machines that can kill you with no warning. Which is nice...

Seriously. There are few good EE's to be had for heavy industry. We're dying for useful bodies. Maybe you wanna hold off on your real goal while you set up your future...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

Tragabigzanda
steve albini likes it

Post by Tragabigzanda » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:52 am

Bose here in Boston always seems to be hiring, and I hear they offer great benefits.
Alex C. McKenzie

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:14 pm

If you aren't a member of the AES, you might consider joining. If you're still a student, a paperless student membership is cheap. They also had a somewhat sparse online "jobs available" section.

You can also get their list of corporate members, and start hitting their websites.

You might also consider going to the convention, and hitting the showfloor pretty hard, to determine who's around, what they're doing, and if they're hiring.

Former AES president John Strawn does audio related headhunting. Check his listing here:
http://www.s-systems-inc.com/recruit/jobs.htm

Finally, Djimbe is right - you'll probably make 20% less in entry-level audio than in other industries.

Best of luck!