email collaboration - anyone like to?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

richierichie
ass engineer

email collaboration - anyone like to?

Post by richierichie » Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:02 am

I have given this approximately a minute and a half's worth of consideration, but what the heck. Anyone like to do some track-by-track email recording? I record to 16-track tape (when i can afford tape!) but also use Cubase SX3 which would be the obvious choice for this. I run stuff through a nice old transformer-filled desk and into a Focusrite Saffire.

Here's an indulgent list of influences/loves:

Richard Thompson, Sleater-Kinney, Xiu Xiu, Richard Buckner, Deerhoof, Young Marble Giants, Buck Owens, Low, Stereolab, Smog, Davey Graham, Merle Haggard, Les Georges Leningrad, Teenage Fanclub, Shirley Collins, Roy Orbison, Bob Wills, Webb Pierce, Beat Happening, The Make Up, Bruce Springsteen (nearly forgot him!).

There's a lot of country in there - i play pedal steel - but it's not something i necessarily bring to the table all the time. Certainly the collaborative format would seem to lend itself to more experimental pastures.

Anyway, enough rambling. Let me know if you're up for this.

Richie.
I like you mostly late at night

allyouneedisears
gettin' sounds

Post by allyouneedisears » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:11 pm

I think we should take this idea and expand it: a large scale tape op collaboration thread. Everybody who is interested in could do like you just did, post their recording abilities, musical tastes, and skill set. For example:

I record into logic with an apogee duet.

Right now I'm into: The Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Elliot Smith, Neil Young, Roy Orbison, Boards of Canada, Spoon and Planxty.

Guitar is my main instrument, acoustic and electric. I also play bass, keys, and percussion.

if this idea pans out, perhaps we could have a sticky? :lol:

theDan
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by theDan » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:39 pm

I'd get in on this. I have a 16 track and I use Cubase SX3.

Here is some stuff of mine I recorded and played every instrument for:

www.myspace.com/romanarchitecture

let me know!

-Dan

firby
takin' a dinner break

Post by firby » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:24 pm

I am a drummer, keyboardist, guitarist. But for the sake of this thread I will do the drums and possibly mix it. I record on a 72 input Trident 24 OTB into MOTUs that are externally clocked, generally through API.

I am a jazz/rock/afrobeat player. I can play pretty or rough.

regards.

My personal productions are kind of like Dj Shadow, electro stuff like LCD soundsystem, Fela kuti, really all over the board. Sometimes just swingin lounge music.
I'm a bad man!

allyouneedisears
gettin' sounds

Post by allyouneedisears » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:22 pm

Okay cool, we've already got a pretty good collection of players here. How do you guy's wana do this? We need something to work off of. Maybe a demo song or something... suggestions? I have some demos, one of them might make for a decent starting point...

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:38 am

My musical chops ain't worth moose tits, but I'd like to take a crack at mixing it when it's ready.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

theDan

Post by theDan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:57 pm

andrewjudah wrote:Okay cool, we've already got a pretty good collection of players here. How do you guy's wana do this? We need something to work off of. Maybe a demo song or something... suggestions? I have some demos, one of them might make for a decent starting point...
Whatever you got to get it rolling, would be cool. I don't really have anything to offer as a starting point, unfortunately. Who should play what? I am most comfortable with guitars or keys and such. I have only been playing drums for a month so I don't think I will dive in on that. :oops:

allyouneedisears
gettin' sounds

Post by allyouneedisears » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:27 pm

Okay, well here is a link to a rough demo of mine... it's really a really simple, fairly repetitive song that should be easy for us all to work on. We could simply overdub on top off it, then I could redo the vocals and acoustic guitar later... Any idea's?

I have created a Google group for this as well, should help us keep things all in one place, again, suggestions?

http://groups.google.com/group/tape-op-co-op

The file is there, the song is called alone.

allyouneedisears
gettin' sounds

Post by allyouneedisears » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:31 pm

Doesn't really matter who plays what, just add idea's as you get them, and save all your files (wav files, 24 bit, 44.1) and we can throw the best stuff together for somebody to mix... Upload your rough mp3's here and we will all chime in.

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Post by HeavyHand » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:03 pm

i would love to get on something like this. it looks like this tune has enough people working on it already so if anyone wants to do another im down.

i use Cubase SX3. and im a drummer. ive been listening to the Melvins, Zebulon Pike, Yes, Witch, Soundgarden, Sargent Sunshine, and Blond Redhead lately.

let me know if anyone is interested. I have a few demos we could work with but ive already worked on them and would love to work on someone else's material.
Ok, who brought the dog? - Louis Tully
www.facebook.com/BigTerribleMusic

theDan

Post by theDan » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:08 am

couldn't get the mp3 to play...

allyouneedisears
gettin' sounds

Post by allyouneedisears » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:09 pm

you gotta right click save as... for some reason it doesn't play in the browser.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:41 pm

I would be up for this; I am very active at vsplanet.com doing collabs; probably have done 50+ in the last couple-3 years.

I mixed 99% of those; I play guitar, bass, 4 finger keys, tambo, vox, etc., and I write, co-write, and arrange.

I'll stay out of the current tune, as (like Heavyhand said above) it seems to have enough involved, but am interested if anyone wants to get something going.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

richierichie
ass engineer

Post by richierichie » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:56 pm

Wow, i went away for a couple of days and this thing grew legs! Andrew, i like the demo. Did you envisage the song having a fuller arrangement? It would certainly be a starting point. That being the case, i guess our best bet might be to lay some drums over the actual demo?
I like you mostly late at night

allyouneedisears
gettin' sounds

Post by allyouneedisears » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:38 pm

richierichie wrote:Wow, i went away for a couple of days and this thing grew legs! Andrew, i like the demo. Did you envisage the song having a fuller arrangement? It would certainly be a starting point. That being the case, i guess our best bet might be to lay some drums over the actual demo?
Thanks man, I don't want to be to specific about how I see the song. I would rather see what you guys hear it being, so I'm totally open to suggestion. Drums, pedal steel, Bass, more guitar, more vocals, strings, it's all good... :)