Moving to Tempe? What's Cool to Do?

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

cooters
gettin' sounds

Moving to Tempe? What's Cool to Do?

Post by cooters » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:45 pm

I'm Moving to Tempe in february and i was wondering What are some cool places to see music. Local and otherwise. And Some Good places to just go and hang out. Keep in mind i am not 21 which drastically reduces everything. But Yeah.

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:09 pm

I spent a couple weeks driving all throughout AZ, as far south as Tuscon and as far North as Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon. I flew in/out from Phoenix, and stayed in Tempe for the first couple days... it was my least favorite place in the whole state. It's a very commercialized college town... if you like frat boys/sorority girls and shopping malls, you'll like Tempe. That was 7 or 8 years ago, so maybe things have changed, but I doubt it. Sorry.

There's a funky little town/art community a little north of there called Arcosanti that's worth checking out. They make brass bells there, among other things and have weird architecture and interesting characters abound.

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:59 pm

Downtown Phoenix is pretty cool, actually. You might check out modified.org - they are a gallery that has good shows.

Arcosanti is definitely a cool place to visit.

I have been to a couple of shows in Tempe, but not any where the place itself was very important.

The whole Scottsdale-Mesa-Tempe-Chandler East Valley area can feel pretty much like a giant strip mall if you don't watch out.

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:06 am

Brian Brock wrote:Downtown Phoenix is pretty cool, actually. You might check out modified.org - they are a gallery that has good shows.

I have been to a couple of shows in Tempe, but not any where the place itself was very important.

The whole Scottsdale-Mesa-Tempe-Chandler East Valley area can feel pretty much like a giant strip mall if you don't watch out.
I don't remember seeing Laveen in your profile before. We should start a west valley recording, uh, arts-type like thingy.

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:24 am

Electricide wrote:
Brian Brock wrote:Downtown Phoenix is pretty cool, actually. You might check out modified.org - they are a gallery that has good shows.

I don't remember seeing Laveen in your profile before. We should start a west valley recording, uh, arts-type like thingy.
Talk to David Nichols at Living Head Productions. He was doing this 15 years ago when I lived there.

Good luck on the move to Tempe to the first poster. It can be a cool place and there is some good music that happens there.

Mike

sam_squarewave
audio school

my list

Post by sam_squarewave » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:01 pm

My favorite venues - all underage:

The Clubhouse
The Celebrity
The Marquee
Modified Arts
Trunk Space
Mesa Amphitheater

Modified and Trunk Space get some good indie shows.

I moved here two years ago and am still in the process of making some music/audio friends. I'm 30, but if you want to hang and play music or whatever, hit me up!

Get a bicycle if you don't have one - it's nice to ride around Tempe. We ride down from Scottsdale on the weekends for breakfast normally.

-Sam

cooters
gettin' sounds

Post by cooters » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:28 am

Sounds good. I won't be down there for a while though. And From the other poster. Let's just say frat boys and strip malls aren't my thing. I live in a little town in the country at the moment and portland is so full of hippies and weird it's cool to go there. But i'm not to into the city. Oh yeah i'm from oregon.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:18 am

cooters wrote:Sounds good. I won't be down there for a while though. And From the other poster. Let's just say frat boys and strip malls aren't my thing. I live in a little town in the country at the moment and portland is so full of hippies and weird it's cool to go there. But i'm not to into the city. Oh yeah i'm from oregon.
What made you decide to move to Tempe? I think you'd be a lot happier somewhere like Flagstaff or Tuscon if you're going to move to AZ. I'd be up for moving to either of those places, if I had work there, but Tempe/Phoenix doesn't appeal to me at all. I live in NYC now (and want to leave, preferably to Vermont, but the Southwest is a possibility as well) and lived in Seattle for a long time before that, which I loved, but the rain and gray does get to you after a while. Portland is cool... similar to Seattle in a lot of ways, but a bit smaller. Tempe just seemed really uptight to me... lots of police/security presence... very conformist kind of feel to the place. Take that with a grain of salt or two though... it's been a long time since I was there and I was only there a few days.

cooters
gettin' sounds

Post by cooters » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:08 pm

I'm going to the conservatory of recording arts and sciences. Really only for the intership really. But i can learn stuff really fast there and hopefully find some people to play with.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:04 pm

Cool. I hope that all works out well. I'll bet you'll meet plenty of cool people through that who can hook you up with interesting stuff that's not easily found by someone who's just visiting, the way I was. Cheers.

noon
ass engineer

Post by noon » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:07 pm

Coming from a small town in Oregon, you may be in for a bit of a culture shock. The Phoenix area often seems culturally soulless, but it may be getting better. Downtown Tempe has indeed become commercialized. Central Phoenix has some hope with a nice grassroots thing taking place. Tuscon generally gets better musical acts coming through (though I saw Deerhoof the other night). Surprisingly little in the way of jazz.

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:17 pm

Electricide wrote:
Brian Brock wrote:Downtown Phoenix is pretty cool, actually.
Yeah I just moved here. Where are you?

Some sort of TOMB/Phoenix thing would suit me...

cooters
gettin' sounds

Post by cooters » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:42 pm

you even though i would be in the east valley. i would make the drive to record and play some music with people.

lifeintime
gettin' sounds

Re: Moving to Tempe? What's Cool to Do?

Post by lifeintime » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:19 pm

Holy Crap!!!

I posted in Hookups a couple of years ago and got 1 response. Now there is a TOMBer in Laveen??? I used to ride horses there!

You want West Valley??? I've been in Buckeye for 14 years!!!!!

How about WVRC - "West Valley Recording Coalition"?

PM me if interested.

manmanly
audio school graduate

Re: Moving to Tempe? What's Cool to Do?

Post by manmanly » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:06 pm

cooters wrote:I'm Moving to Tempe in february and i was wondering What are some cool places to see music. Local and otherwise. And Some Good places to just go and hang out. Keep in mind i am not 21 which drastically reduces everything. But Yeah.
there are some interesting places to hang out around the university in tempe. otherwise there is the conservatory of recording arts there in mesa/tempe so the students are around as well. also the guys from wave lab have been know to come to the consevatory and teach sometimes as well.

good luck and enjoy the heat. it was 120 degrees the day i moved there to go to the conservatory.